How to make cannabutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm sure this has been asked a hundered times but I new and would love to no I have all the cuttings off buds to make some anyhelp would be appreciated thanks

Midnightfarmer

easy way to make cannabutter
1lb. butter (salted)
Cheesecloth
1 and1/2 to 2 oz. of shake (I used my trimmings)
a few rocks

Put the weed into the cheesecloth along with some larger stones (to weigh down) and tie off end.
Put in a large pot and fill about 2/3's with water.
Start to boil, making sure the stocking is weighted down enough not to float.
Add butter.
Keep at a slow simmering boil for at least 5 hours.....stirring a few times
This will REALLY stink up your place.....(gagging material)

Let cool....Wring out the cheesecloth...then put the pot in fridge for at least 12 hrs.
When the butter forms a hard crust on the water, take off and either strain or squeeze the water out.
You will end up with about 1and1/2 cups of kick-*** butter for baking.....and no grit in your teeth.

Recipe borrowed from CC

I used this method a few months back, and yes it works wonderfully, you will defintily get some potent butter back. :ignore:

Just don't wring out the cheescloth to hard. Gentle squeeze will suffice. Also be very judicious with the finished product, it has the potential to be substantially more potent. I speak from experience:D

way potent, i made some and took a little once, no problem, then on another day i took twice as much......way to stoned and my stomache was upset...then yesterday i made up some brownies, put in 1/3 cup of the butter and one third cup regular oil as the box called for 2/3 cup oil......cooked this and then ate about a 1.5 inch square and was high all day with out the stomache ache. It still tasted kinda foul but the chocolate went a long way to be able to get it down. So i packed it into two serving squares and am gonna give some to friends.
like the guy says...smells real bad when you cook it, the taste is hard to get by for me, but it was a great way to get high.

Reactions: SFC
TC that is why you don't want to squeeze the cheesecloth to hard. You get alot "cleaner" taste when you just let it drain natural, and maybe alight squeeze. Try it next time ,and let us know what you think.

i didnt use the cheese cloth at all. i just took the whole mess and put it in the fridge. i took the butter off the top then threw the rest away. i did pat the butter patty dry before i stored it tho. it was/is kick ***. next time will use the cheese clothe.
thank you

Is there a straight ratio of 2oz to 1lb of butter, also wit what this produces is this considered alot or a small amount?

some tips, you dont have to use water in this at all.
Just melt the butter, then bring down to a simmer, add in the bud and let simmer for about an hour. Then use cheese cloth, or clean womens panty hose, and strain.
Note, you never want to get the Temp to high, the thc will start to cook off/out. soo baking brownies is a bad way to digest THC, since the temps in the oven are so high.
It is better to make Rice crispy treats, since the butter is added straight in, and not baked. the best is :1 part rice crispy and 1 part fruity pebbles !!! THIS IS A GREAT GANJA TREAT. and they are very potent.

p.s i have found that extracting thc into Oil , for some reason makes it waay more potient. Try making a white pasta, using Olive oil or Veg. oil, and extract the thc into the oil, i honestly was tripping from that :)

Does the trim or bud have to be really dry or can u use fresh stuff?

it'll still work good using fresh/mildly cured bud and trim, you'll have more of a "greeny" taste and the butter will literally be green.

a crock pot on low for a day or 2 works well.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cana butter.PS

When I lived up at a ski resort one winter, I had some rice krispies made with cannabutter and they were awesome. It seemed like a small square of rice krispie, but it got you ripped! I was so high I was practically hallucinating. I swear I was seeing Satan references on every TV program on every channel. I had to get away from the TV and go into another room for the rest of the night, it was freaking me out. Other than that, it was a fun night.

- a pressure cooker works well too.

To avoid high heat completely, put your shake in a big blender, add some form of drinking alcohol, like vodka, blend for a while, filter, then add butter to the fluid and warm for a long time on a low burner until all the water and alcohol have evaporated. (careful of the fumes, they are flamable, keep a window open or whatever.)

I would only add that it's helpful to clarify the butter .Mellt it and skim off the solid foamy sludge which forms on the surface .
The water is important .Don't eliminate it.
There's an old canon in organic chemistry Like disolves like.
ie. The active ingredients that we seek are not water solulable .
there are alot of water solulable compounds that won't disolve in the oil of the butter .These stay in the water .You end up with a purer product useing the water.

Hey guys. I did my first try of cannbutter this weekend with mixed reviews. We did the 2.5 sticks of butter with 1/8oz of weed right in the butter, simmer for 45min. Our butter was brown which leads me to believe that we let it get too hot. This bring along the mixed reviews as mentioned before. When we tried this method I had not heard of it and had only heard mentions of using a cheese cloth. Now that I have tried this right in the butter way I would like to do the longer method which as I read will take 5 hours to make and more after being in the fridge.

Now, I have one question before I try again. The word simmer.. I don't like it as it's not finite enough. In this day with the recession upon us I can't can ill afford to lose another bunch of weed to over heating. So when it's said to simmer.. what is the temperature of the water/butter mix? I read that the THC cooks off at about 280 degrees. I don't know how reliable that is. If someone could fire a little more science at me that would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you, I will most certainly report back after I have made the butter to let you know.

Cheers.

I don't know what the temp is, but I try to keep it low as possible, I use a crockpot started on high till the mix is lightly simmering, then move to low for five or six hours. I think an 1/8 for 2.5 sticks is way to low though, I use an ounce of bud and a few grams of lower grade bubble hash for every 4 sticks(1 lb) with excellent results.

Latest posts

Back