Growing with CFL's???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetfield_08

Reaction score
How many would it take to grow 6 or so plants, and about how many watts per bulb? Thanks for any answers.

depends on the area your gonna use. how tall you want your plants to be at harvest? cfls work well with small grows under 3 feet.

i flower 6 at a time in a 2x2x4 box under 16 42 watt cfls and i get good results. but for the money i spent on cfls i could have bought a HPS, but i added lights as i could so themoney was spread out over time. so it made sense at the time.. sorry im stoned. good luck

Yea it takes alot of cfls to grow MJ. Its all about the lumens to grow 6 plants your gonna need at least 50,000 lumens and most cfls are only 1500 lumens but you can get a 55,000 luman HPS for $100 on ebay or insidesun.com.

hetfield_08 said:
How many would it take to grow 6 or so plants, and about how many watts per bulb? Thanks for any answers.

When you are trying to figure out how much light you need, you have to tell us how many square feet you are going to have. Lighting has nothing to do with the number of plants you are growing and everything to do with lumens per sq ft. So, without knowing how big your space it, we can tell you that you need at least 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering.

I would encourage you to check out some lower wattage HPS.

You can choose to still grow your plants under CFL's but only in the vegetative cycle. There not really worth it in the flowering cycle. The only way there good for flowering is if you completely surround a plant with 42w CFL's on the sides as well as on top, using lots of "y"s. Grow with HPS buddy if you want 6 plants then use a 400w HPS lamp thats aircooled

They Dont All Have To Be 42 Watts, You Want A Good Mix Of Colors, Daylight, Cool White, Soft White, The First 2 Grows That I Have Done Was With Cfls, The Pic I Got In The Bpoym Contest Was Grown Under Cfls, It Was Over 7 Foot Tall In A 6 Foot Tent, I Had 2 Sativas And One Bag Seed Plant That Was 24 Inches Tall At Harvest.... All Under Cfls In The Same Grow............................ I Used 4 42 Watters And 30 Something 26 Watters.... TheY Work And Work Well...

Thats alot of CFLS brother! I just dont see myself using that many lights. I had my experiment with cfls and I didnt like what I got. Sure it smoked decent but what looked like a oz was more like 7grams haha.

since you can buy 150 HPS for 20$ ready to go it doesn't make sense to use cfls anymore..

yuo can use cfls with good results, like THG said let us know how big your grow area is and we can help you figure out how many lights you need.. good luck

slowmo77 said:
since you can buy 150 HPS for 20$ ready to go it doesn't make sense to use cfls anymore..

yuo can use cfls with good results, like THG said let us know how big your grow area is and we can help you figure out how many lights you need.. good luck
did you really mean 20 bucks or 200??

The Hemp Goddess said:
When you are trying to figure out how much light you need, you have to tell us how many square feet you are going to have. Lighting has nothing to do with the number of plants you are growing and everything to do with lumens per sq ft. So, without knowing how big your space it, we can tell you that you need at least 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering.

I would encourage you to check out some lower wattage HPS.
well i don't have much room, maybe a 7x7x7 area right now

ya its twenty U.S. dollars. $20.00 plus shipping.

with a 7x7x7 grow area no way i'd use cfls. HPS/MH is the only way for you to go. imo anything less than 1000 watts wouldn't be enough

hetfield_08 said:
well i don't have much room, maybe a 7x7x7 area right now

LOL--7 x 7 x 7 is quite a large space. This is not a space that you are going to want to try and light with CFLs. For a space this size, you are going to need something like 4 1000W HPS.

Here is a link to the $20 HPS lights:

hxxp://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EFamily.asp

Just my 2 cents....Well I am growing in basement,3x3x5 Grow tent. Have 2 ft Flo., 3 CFL's. And mine look pretty good. YMMV

I just finished manicuring my 2 indoor plants grown under CFL's. I'm not weighing anything, but you can get some idea of the yield from the pix. Much leaf trim not pictured will become hash. I used a 125 watt/9500 lumen CFL ($70, not including ballast) with a bunch of 42/23 watt bulbs added for extra light. I think I ended up with around 20,000 lumens in a 3.5ft x 1.5ft x 5ft high space. Could have bought other lighting systems for sure but I wanted to do CFL's. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. The smoke is good:D

P9170005.JPG

P9170008.JPG

P9170009.JPG

gettinggray1964 said:
They Dont All Have To Be 42 Watts, You Want A Good Mix Of Colors, Daylight, Cool White, Soft White, The First 2 Grows That I Have Done Was With Cfls, The Pic I Got In The Bpoym Contest Was Grown Under Cfls, It Was Over 7 Foot Tall In A 6 Foot Tent, I Had 2 Sativas And One Bag Seed Plant That Was 24 Inches Tall At Harvest.... All Under Cfls In The Same Grow............................ I Used 4 42 Watters And 30 Something 26 Watters.... TheY Work And Work Well...

Thats almost 1000 watts in CFL's you would be much better off with a 1000 watt HPS.

Growdude said:
Thats almost 1000 watts in CFL's you would be much better off with a 1000 watt HPS.
Hahaha did he really just say 34 bulbs??? That's insane, and I'd agree with you. The 1000 watt HPS would probably have better light output than all 34 bulbs combined.

Well, I went out and grabbed some info to support my opinion, without facts we have no debate.

45 watt GE CFL claims 2900 lumens, and it's at the higher end of all 45W CFL's I looked at.

An average, run of the mill 600W HPS bulb puts out 90,000-100,000 lumens of light.

So yes, you'd need at least 31 bulbs to have the same light output.

31 x 45 = 1,395 Watts

31 bulbs, at $13.95 apiece cost you $432.45 for supplies. Most likely bought over a period of time, but that's what the bulbs total. So here's the deal:

Pay $300 (roughly) up front, get 90000-100000 lumens of light, and pay for 600W of electricity during use... OR... Pay $432.45 over time, get 90,000 lumens of light, and pay for 1,395 watts of electricity. It seems simple to me.

Edit: ALSO, there's only 1 bulb to replace in the HPS system, and you can get a pack of 8 600W HPS bulbs that give off 90,000 lumens of light for 55 Australian dollars ($44 USD). That's $5.50 a bulb. They will burn out more often than the CFL's, but with the low cost of replacement and the fact that it uses less than half of the electricity, isn't it worth it?

:yeahthat: Also all the sockets and Y adapters for 31 bulbs is going to run atleast another $50.00.

TommyBres said:
Well, I went out and grabbed some info to support my opinion, without facts we have no debate.

45 watt GE CFL claims 2900 lumens, and it's at the higher end of all 45W CFL's I looked at.

An average, run of the mill 600W HPS bulb puts out 90,000-100,000 lumens of light.

So yes, you'd need at least 31 bulbs to have the same light output.

31 x 45 = 1,395 Watts

31 bulbs, at $13.95 apiece cost you $432.45 for supplies. Most likely bought over a period of time, but that's what the bulbs total. So here's the deal:

Pay $300 (roughly) up front, get 90000-100000 lumens of light, and pay for 600W of electricity during use... OR... Pay $432.45 over time, get 90,000 lumens of light, and pay for 1,395 watts of electricity. It seems simple to me.

Edit: ALSO, there's only 1 bulb to replace in the HPS system, and you can get a pack of 8 600W HPS bulbs that give off 90,000 lumens of light for 55 Australian dollars ($44 USD). That's $5.50 a bulb. They will burn out more often than the CFL's, but with the low cost of replacement and the fact that it uses less than half of the electricity, isn't it worth it?
The extra wattage is almost ALL given off as HEAT.

If your grow room is in an igloo and used to heat it, then go with CFL's.

It's been proven more than enough times that for an entire grow, HPS is the most efficient type of light you can use. As I've said many times, my little 3.5 x 5.5 foot area gives me a pound of cured weed on each crop using dual 400 watt HPS.

How many times do we need to cover this same stupid argument?

Hey, if someone likes CFL's and want to use them, fine! Just don't try to convince ANYONE who has their brain on that CFL's are more efficient than other forms of lighting. They aren't. Period. End of freakin argument.

Tommy has just shown it again.

Thank you.

Uh oh, gettin a little hot in here... I'm gonna step out this way, and avoid controversy... Haha I knew CFL's weren't as good, before I came into this forum I didn't think anyone would bother with an entire grow process using CFL's... Yet, from what I've seen, it seems to be a good 25% of growers on here using nothing but fluorescent. WE MUST EDUCATE THE MASSES!!!

For the record, I will use fluorescent for cloning, simply because I want a constant harvest system where I need 3 separate rooms, all with lighting... And I'm not about to spend another $300 on an HPS light for vegetation. Fluorescent in clone room, MH in the mother room, HPS in the flower room. :p

Latest posts

Back