PDA

View Full Version : Seed Sexing

weedidas
03-19-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere a way to sex your seeds... Not sure, but is there a way to tell if it's more likely female?

cadlakmike1
03-19-2009, 08:54 AM
Nope, it's a myth, you have to plant them and wait to sex them.

weedidas
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Hm, ok. What about early plant sexing? Can you grow 12/12 from seed until sex is visible and switch to 24/24 to vege it?

blancolighter
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
If you start 12/12, its gonna be the plants natural state, and flowering wont be triggered for a long time, just like MJ grown outdoors. Plants need an increase in their dark cycle to trigger flowering, so if you started 12/12, the only way you would get it to sex is to go to 10/14. When it comes to sexing, there really aren't any shortcuts to get by the tried and true methods, or trust me, we'd all know.

HippyInEngland
03-19-2009, 09:49 AM
Hm, ok. What about early plant sexing? Can you grow 12/12 from seed until sex is visible and switch to 24/24 to vege it?

^^ Correct :)

:peace:

Hick
03-19-2009, 01:45 PM
If you start 12/12, its gonna be the plants natural state, and flowering wont be triggered for a long time, just like MJ grown outdoors. Plants need an increase in their dark cycle to trigger flowering, so if you started 12/12, the only way you would get it to sex is to go to 10/14. When it comes to sexing, there really aren't any shortcuts to get by the tried and true methods, or trust me, we'd all know.
..not exactly true or correct..
plants need to reach a stage of 'maturity', before they will flower. BUT.. 12 hours of dark WILL induce flowering just as soon as they reach 'that' stage of maturity. There does not need to be a decrease in hours from there. (there is a sticky in the forum, addressing florogin and the flowering process)
But, outdoors in spring, the hours/minutes of light are steadily increasing, and seedlings aren't 'mature' enough to begin flowering. By the time seedlings are reaching sexual maturity, the light cycle has increased to a favorable veg' cycle...THAT is what keeps them from flowering in spring, under "natural" conditions.
"IMHO" the most effivient method for sexing, is to veg the plants to appropriate size to take cuttings. Label the plants to correspond with the cuttings and flower the plants from seed.
Discard males from seed AND the corresponding clones.

blancolighter
03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I was under the impression that if you start under 12/12 the floragins and antifloragins would be balanced out perfectly as thats what the plant sprouted in, so it thinks 12/12 is its natural "springtime" state, and there would then need to be a change in the lighting patterns to offset the floragins and antifloragins and induce flowering... Is this not right? I thought MJ plants would naturally adjust their floragins to whatever enviroment the sprouted in (by enviroment I mean lighting pattern). I mean if this is not the case, wouldn't there be huge differences and problems with seeds sown in higher lattitudes as opposed to their lower lattitude counterparts? Or is 12/12 off too much of a dark period for floragin and anti floragin to ever be balanced? I'll look into it further, but my past research on the subject has leaned more towards what i was thinking. I've got an open mind though, so if ya post a little more info on it, I'll readily change my opinion.

blancolighter
03-19-2009, 02:19 PM

I mean, sure it'll work, but you can also veg for long enough and determine sex. And I bet they're gonna take the same amount of time...

Hick
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM
I was under the impression that if you start under 12/12 the floragins and antifloragins would be balanced out perfectly as thats what the plant sprouted in, so it thinks 12/12 is its natural "springtime" state, and there would then need to be a change in the lighting patterns to offset the floragins and antifloragins and induce flowering... Is this not right? I thought MJ plants would naturally adjust their floragins to whatever enviroment the sprouted in (by enviroment I mean lighting pattern). I mean if this is not the case, wouldn't there be huge differences and problems with seeds sown in higher lattitudes as opposed to their lower lattitude counterparts? Or is 12/12 off too much of a dark period for floragin and anti floragin to ever be balanced? I'll look into it further, but my past research on the subject has leaned more towards what i was thinking. I've got an open mind though, so if ya post a little more info on it, I'll readily change my opinion.
If in fact your theory were true, you could keep a plant in veg indefinitely under 12/12. That will not happen. Once that plant reaches 'sexual' maturity, it will flower. There are growers here that have grown 12/12 from seed through out flower. With 'no' light cycle change.. ;)

blancolighter
03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Haha, thanks hick, sometimes I get to thinkin a little too much and need to be reeled in! I just found a grow journal like you said, probably at the same time you posted this! I think a certain high times article influenced my thought, I should know better than that by now...

Hick
03-19-2009, 03:00 PM
blanco''.. "thinking" has been my downfall on occasion, too :rofl:..

420benny
03-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Thinking is a good thing. Don't either one of you two stop.:ccc:

BuddyLuv
03-21-2009, 01:40 PM
Most will show sex in veg when they are mature enough to flower. I have had better results seeing preflowers under 18/6.

GMT
03-21-2009, 02:30 PM

Thats not a great way of sexing and will only add more time to the grow when you factor in the amount of time needed for the plant to switch back to a vegitave state after it's sexed and the time need for the plant to switch back to flowering after you've veged it to the size you want.

It would make more sense to veg the plant until there are 4 or 5 nodes and take a cutting to sex.
7-10 days you will have roots and 2 weeks after that it will be clear what sex the origional plant is.

Cloning for sex 30 or so days if you do it right, flowering re-vegging flowering and your going to add at least a month and a half to the grow if not a bit longer.

Good luck.

zipflip
05-11-2009, 01:49 PM
7-10 days you will have roots and 2 weeks after that it will be clear what sex the origional plant is.

Cloning for sex 30 or so days if you do it right, flowering re-vegging flowering and your going to add at least a month and a half to the grow if not a bit longer.

Good luck.
i just got done readin a post by POTUS who said somethin that if just simply takin a clone just to determine the sex and nothin more you can just take said cutting and place it in glass of water an flower it like that an in bout 10 days give or take you'll be able to determine sex but the clone be garbage as it was only in water and never rooted..
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showpost.php?p=442087&postcount=7
i've herd both equations but curious if either or works dependin on ya purpose wether it be to take cuttin to grow anew or just for purpose of showin sex. cuz yeah i could do the thing an take a clone root it an wait for sex bein 30 days or so but by tehn i'll have to had transplanted all my plants into bigger pots from teh starter cups which would leave me to sacrificing soem plants. due to space limitations.
i mean i dig the concept of not havin to interrupt they veg cycle just to show sex an then reveg then flower again.
so if its possible to take a cutting when its bout 4 or 5 nodes into veg they'lll still be fine in them starter cups if i can sex a cuttin in just glass water in ten days like potus said . then this clonin route may be my answer. cuz i been contemplating doin exactly just this an do 12/12 from seed til sex then reveg females etc.

Hick
05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
.."IF" the plan you take the cutting from is sexually mature, "ready" to express its sexual preferrance, yes. A cutting in a glass of water, under 12/12 will determine sex pretty quickly... IF however, you take an immature cutting, and place it in water under 12/12, it wil still need to mature to express sex and require an extended time in 12/12.