Does THC, CBN/CBD Continue to Break Down Over Time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaxforgandhi

On a mission...apparently
Reaction score
Hola Earthlings,

I'm posting this after questions were posed in Alistair Young's "Weed Gets More Potent" post.

The question(s) is(are): Does curing stop THC break down completely? If it does break down over time to baser CBN/CBDs, do these then break down even further over time until (ALMOST) all psychoreactivity is eventually lost?

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

An Anaerobic environment, with its lack of oxygen, will reduce decomposition.

I.E. putting it in an airtight container with a vacuum would (in theory) keep herb good forever.

So it's oxidation that frags it? That would make sense. Huh. What about the folks who swear by humidors? I wouldn't assume them to be airtight, so are they exposing their bud to detrimental oxygen? I guess if it's a slow enough process it pretty much becomes a moot point, huh? But I have heard of cigars/tobacco/weed being kept in humidors for long, long periods of time. Hmmm... "Curiouser and curiouser," cried alice...

~Snax

You got it! Oxygen is what broke down perfectly preserved 5,000+ year old mummies from ancient Egypt after some (smart?) scientists uncovered them and decided to put them on display to mold!

Humidors are air tight. If not it would decrease its ability to keep proper humidity levels ;)

OGKushman said:
...Humidors are air tight. If not it would decrease its ability to keep proper humidity levels...
Duh. If I'd thought about that for 2 seconds it would've been obvious. So much for college degress, huh? I guess I was thinking in terms of "would a humidor make a good submarine?" Again, duh. I'm going to stop saying words now...

~Snax

LOL

Its all good man. I have conjured up thoughts along the same path. Im sure others would agree. We all want our bud as best as it can be for as long as possible. I stick to Ball Widemouth Mason Jars in the fridge. :)

OGKushman said:
...I stick to Ball Widemouth Mason Jars in the fridge...
Yeah, me too. My buddy, however, swears by these large, rectagular, shallow tupperware type things. He loves 'em and makes the point that they provide an additional layer of security in that they're not transparent, letting anyone who opens the fridge see what'cha got goin' on on the bottom shelf! Plus, they're stackable, which is nice. Any ideas why glass might be preferable to plastics? Plastics have greater porosity and permeability, fer sure, but you'd think containers intended for foodstuffs would tend toward the lower porosity materials.

I'm just in an inquisitive mood tonite I guess.

tupperware can give your bud a plastic taste. I put my glass jars in a dark bag in the crisper drawer...so nobody sees it either.

I have 4o half gallon jars full so far my fridge will not hold them so I built a air tight cabinet . All ready running out of space.Man still not done filling the rest of them.:holysheep: :hubba:

gasman said:
I have 4o half gallon jars full so far my fridge will not hold them so I built a air tight cabinet . All ready running out of space.Man still not done filling the rest of them.:holysheep: :hubba:
Being as how I am such a nice guy, I feel obligated to let you give me the rest of that troublesome bud. I just hate to see a brother bogged down with so much work! I know, I'm too nice, right? It's a curse. :D

~Snax

come help me clip the next batch and just maybe .:D

."clean, food grade plastics" (tupperware or baggies) are fine for storage. Air tight, and in a cool dark place.

The jar(s) that I keep in the crisper drawer, are the ones being used, any excess I keep in jars in chest freezer. I agree with Hick plastic bags and Tupperware do work just as good. I have only "read" that the reason to use glass is because tupperware gives off a plastic taste. So I never really tried it, cause I just got 1/2 gallon size mason jars. I have kept pounds in the freezer in plastic bags for a long time, but they were generaly gone within a few months. An interesting note, After my uncle died, I was helping my cousin clean out their barn where my uncle's office was, and we found a box filled with mason jars. In each jar had a bud or 2 with a label for the yr. some of these went back to the late 60's. They looked beautiful, and we decided to try some really nice "gold" from the early 70's, no buzz...and a hell of a headache. Looking back now there were seeds in there, I don't know why I didn't think about trying to germinate any. They were probably not viable anyway, but it couldn't hurt to try.

Light, heat and oxygen are the three things that help weed degrade.

Keep your weed out of the light, in a cool place and open the container only to refresh the air to prevent mold.

The cure is to s-l-o-w-l-y dry the weed. This allows the conversion of unwanted parts to become wanted parts.

One gallon food grade freezer bags work very well for curing. I keep mine half full and in a cardboard box with a lid, in a spare room that is air conditioned.

Just finished some weed that was two years old. It was still fine. The glass is unnecessary overkill and the fridge is unnecessary overkill.

After using the baggies in the box thing for more than 20 years, I think I've proven that it works.

Hmmmm Thanks Stoney coming from you...I'll believe it!

"overkill" ..... :p I prefer glass. It keep the buds absolutely pristine and positively sealed. But a PITA with a bigger crop. I like stackable tupperware in the "cool room" too.
Several years back, I discovered a jar of two + year old buds that smoked just as fine as the day it was sealed up.

so far I have stuck with jars..same as I do with my canned foods. although bags would be cheaper and maybe more convenient..take up less room but I worry about chemicals in the plastic..is that weird?? stoney what do you think? paranoid lol?

Latest posts

Back