How soon can you pre-sex your plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfish

Random title
Reaction score
Hello all :) First time posting for me so go easy! hehe
Ok so the scenario is I have a room full of plants (bag-seed) I have started in a series of passive hydro systems. The plants are about 1.5 weeks out of the soil now and all is going well, there thriving as I had hoped.

Ok so the dillema is that today I ordered a few good beans and with that will need room. What I'm wanting/hoping to do is start the grow room on a 12/12 now so that I can weed out all the males early to make room for the new seed's in 2 weeks and then revert back to 24 to start the veg over on them and to veg the new seeds.

So my questions would be 1. are they too young at this point and if so how long out of ground until I can safely do this, and 2. Does anyone see a better way or have any better ideas to share on the matter? and 3. is there any negative side effect from doing this besides the extra 2 weeks growth time basically lost on the bagseed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

Warfish

warfish said:
Hello all :) First time posting for me so go easy! hehe
Ok so the scenario is I have a room full of plants (bag-seed) I have started in a series of passive hydro systems. The plants are about 1.5 weeks out of the soil now and all is going well, there thriving as I had hoped.

Ok so the dillema is that today I ordered a few good beans and with that will need room. What I'm wanting/hoping to do is start the grow room on a 12/12 now so that I can weed out all the males early to make room for the new seed's in 2 weeks and then revert back to 24 to start the veg over on them and to veg the new seeds.

So my questions would be 1. are they too young at this point and if so how long out of ground until I can safely do this, and 2. Does anyone see a better way or have any better ideas to share on the matter? and 3. is there any negative side effect from doing this besides the extra 2 weeks growth time basically lost on the bagseed?

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)

Warfish

Heya ya warfish..
if you have good beans on the way. clean up.. get rid of the bag seed.. get what ya need. and be prepared.. read up on the beans your getting to help further your aid in growing them..
the bag seed can be just a pain in the arse..
1.5 wks is a lil early... 2.5 more and i would say you could probally do er..
then the way i do it is ..
..take a cutting from each vegging plant.
..mark to which plant it belongs to.
..put into cup with water/rockwool/cloner for 10 days or so and that cutting will tell you the sex of the plant..
after that throw the cuttings out and the males..
... (the above can be done when there is 3 good sized tops)
do you know what the bag seed is warfish..
me personally would get me **** in a group for the REAL deal.. hehe happy growing.. play safe...
LH

be prepared for sure ...you don't want to find yourself in my shoes lol

then the way i do it is ..
..take a cutting from each vegging plant.
..mark to which plant it belongs to.
..put into cup with water/rockwool/cloner for 10 days or so and that cutting will tell you the sex of the plant..

R U saying a ten day clone will show sex where the mother plant hasn't yet?

You can not sex a plant till it is sexually mature which means it has alternating nodes...if you do it sooner nothing will happen...even if you take a clone before it is sexually mature the clone is not going to show till the original donor plant is ready or even later since cloning is pretty invasive and you will spend 10-14 days waiting for it to root and who knows how long that wld push back the clone in reference to the donor plant...

welcome to the forum,

First, what is a passive hydro and what does "out of the ground" have to do with passive hydro?

You didn't mention how experienced you are so I'm going to give you two difeernt ways.

If you aren't pretty experienced, and your post doesn't sound like you're real experienced to me, I would suggest saving your purchased seeds until you get the bag seed grow finished or nearly finished. That way any mistakes you make won't be hurting paid for plant(s).

Even if you are experienced,I would wait on starting your purchased seeds at least until your bagseed ones are far enough into flower to be able to easily sex them. That will give ytou one of the most important and least common growing skill -- and one I need a lot more of -- which is patience. Most good growers agree that the three most common causes of serious damage done to plants of any kind are over feeding, over watering and generally just getting in a hurry because the grower becomes an impatient overly protective meddling parent. We all tend to love them to death, literally.

When they were talking about using clones to sex, what they really meant was to mark the clone and then after the parent shows its sex, you pull both the male parent and offspring. That also helps you preserve the best of the plants in your grow because you can dispose of the clones of the under performing mothers and keep the clones of the best mother(s) alive without Having to mess with revegging. HOWEVER, NEVER LOOSE A STRAIN BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO CLONE IT BEFORE FLOWERING IT. YOU CAN CLONE ANY HEALTHY PLANT AT ANY TIME, IT JUST IS HARDER AND TAKES MORE TIME. ALSO, YOU CAN SACRIFICE SOME OF THE FIRST CROP AND REVEG THE MOTHER. IF SHE IS REALLY GOOD YOU WILL RECOVER THAT SACRIFICE MANY TIMES OVER FROM HER CLONES.

We all want our results yesterday but good things really do come to those who wait. Coming from a truck driver like me, believe me it is a hard lesson to learn but well worth it.

Good smoking and Happy Thanksgiving.

If you find a quick, easy and reliable way to sex early, please let me know because I'm just starting to grow from seed instead of clones and have a strict plant limit as a medical grower in WA and hate to tie up my allowance with male seeds and the plants they grow into..

I don't know how you would clone a plant 1 1/2 week to begin with??? what would you cut....lol

legalize_freedom said:
I don't know how you would clone a plant 1 1/2 week to begin with??? what would you cut....lol

if you all read it it said......... 3-4 TOPS.... and atleast 4 weeks + old..... the cutting doesnt have to root to show the sex...... and after 4-6 weeks there should be alternating nodes...
and your not cloning if more or less taking a "waste cutting" you can do the same with the whole plant if you want but why when you can take a cutting rom the plant sex it and throw the cutting away and keep vegging the males.....
LH

Hardcore-Blaza said:
flip the lights till u see sex then flip back to veg once u know

Thats a good way to provock HERMI's.....
if you take a cutting from the "sexually mature plant" in 10+ days it will show you your sex.....
LH

Thanks to all who have replied. I wasnt sure if I would get many responses at all let alone the nice info you all have provided. Special thanks to Lefthand, Donjones, and Hamster.

My passive hydro system's are just wick and bubbler systems. This will be my 2nd grow with this method although the first one was years ago with much less light. That grow yielded excellent quality meds but the quantity was just not there with only one 100w hps. This time around I am using a 1000w MH for veg then will swap to 1000w hps for bloom. Currently I am using the Maxigrow/bloom (thank you Bigbudsbruddah for the nice charts on plant phase ppm) line although I have read from someone here that I should switch up my nutrients during grow and bloom phase to ensure there getting all the proper elements. Hoping for much fatter product :)

I started the room with bag seed mostly to work out the kinks and get the temp and humidity right before trying good seed. I have my temp at around 82-84 now and am fairly content with that considering how much light they are under. I am a bit worried that my humidity level is too low though. Kind of thinking of leaving a pan of water on a small shelf I have that is basically 3 ft under the 1000w lamp for evap/humidty vs having to plug in more stuff (humidifier).

Any tips tricks or ideas are all appreciated as I am no pro yet :) but learning rapidly and having a blast!

Warfish

warfish said:
Thanks to all who have replied. I wasnt sure if I would get many responses at all let alone the nice info you all have provided. Special thanks to Lefthand, Donjones, and Hamster.

My passive hydro system's are just wick and bubbler systems. This will be my 2nd grow with this method although the first one was years ago with much less light. That grow yielded excellent quality meds but the quantity was just not there with only one 100w hps. This time around I am using a 1000w MH for veg then will swap to 1000w hps for bloom. Currently I am using the Maxigrow/bloom (thank you Bigbudsbruddah for the nice charts on plant phase ppm) line although I have read from someone here that I should switch up my nutrients during grow and bloom phase to ensure there getting all the proper elements. Hoping for much fatter product :)

I started the room with bag seed mostly to work out the kinks and get the temp and humidity right before trying good seed. I have my temp at around 82-84 now and am fairly content with that considering how much light they are under. I am a bit worried that my humidity level is too low though. Kind of thinking of leaving a pan of water on a small shelf I have that is basically 3 ft under the 1000w lamp for evap/humidty vs having to plug in more stuff (humidifier).

Any tips tricks or ideas are all appreciated as I am no pro yet :) but learning rapidly and having a blast!

Warfish

Since your RH is low and your temps are high (you really want to keep your temps below 80), you might want to consider an evaporative cooler. It puts moisture in the air and will drop your temps probably 4-10 degrees.

Thank you HempGoddess, thats a great tip :) unfortunately the money pool has temporarily dried out so I am trying to make due with what I can for now, sigh. I really want the perfect room, but I guess in time it will be if I keep learning and improving it ;)

Warfish

LEFTHAND said:
if you all read it it said......... 3-4 TOPS.... and atleast 4 weeks + old..... the cutting doesnt have to root to show the sex...... and after 4-6 weeks there should be alternating nodes...
and your not cloning if more or less taking a "waste cutting" you can do the same with the whole plant if you want but why when you can take a cutting rom the plant sex it and throw the cutting away and keep vegging the males.....
LH

Understood your post! wasn't trying to slam you man, I generaly value your oppinion. I was speaking of the original poster, and not knowing how they thought they would be able to get a cutting off of something that young. Patience sucks, but we all have to deal with it. If your going to start with bagseed then you need to be prepared for males, bottom line. Personaly I would yank the bagseed and start the good genetics, unless it is your first grow, then grow them out figure out your style, and then grow the good seeds...GL!

Also Warhead, what do you have for ventilation??...are your lights aircooled? that would help with temp. I like my room below 80 for sure!

Small update ...
Special thanks again to Hempgoddess who made me reevaluate my temps and improve my room, Yay!
After alot of looking, thinking, puffing, and repositioning of a couple fans I have managed to drop the temps in my room a couple more degrees. It is around 83 at the ceiling and about 79 2 feet off the floor. I use an infrared temp guage for checking.

Side note...
For s & g's I decided to use my temp guage to measure the heat coming directly off the 1000w lamp. My guage immediately displayed Err msg and blinked, then turned off and no longer turns back on, lol! live and learn rofl :) Glad i have a couple spares, hehe (I play around with nitro remote control vehicles and need to track there temps)

Warfish

legalize_freedom said:
Understood your post! wasn't trying to slam you man, I generaly value your oppinion. I was speaking of the original poster, and not knowing how they thought they would be able to get a cutting off of something that young. Patience sucks, but we all have to deal with it. If your going to start with bagseed then you need to be prepared for males, bottom line. Personaly I would yank the bagseed and start the good genetics, unless it is your first grow, then grow them out figure out your style, and then grow the good seeds...GL!
quote]

I as well didnt mean to come out as a rude tone if i came off that way hehe.. it was early and lets say i woke up on the wrong side.. my bad if i directed it towards you in an agrly fashion...

LH

No sweat Brother, I have those days frequently...seems like both sides of my bed are the wrong side anymore...lol Have a good one bud! BTW you sounded more defensive than offensive...but either way I didn't want you to think I was ragging on you...I can't recall you ever saying anything that wasn't solid! Peace!

Latest posts

Back