Chefy! & good cooks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Dog

femme fatale proud grower
Reaction score
Hey peeps I have a question..I made a wonderful ham yesterday and have the bone with lots of meat on it. I want to make somthing yummy with it what do you guys reccomend? thank you!

no suggestions? hmmmm

lol they get the fat not the bone..I could just see my 8 pounder trying to drag it behind him..all over my carpet ech..

Split pea soup, or ham and beans, comes to mind.

MMMMMmmmmm mmm Yummy Now I will Vicariously through this page lol! Everything I Love to cook and cant have! Make you up a BIG ol pot of Green chilli,... ever made it with Ham bone? and bacon! Just use the Green Chillis (fresh I preffered) Green Onions garlic salt OMG! Red and Green peppers and Jalepeno to your taste! I'll dice up one small Roma and toss it in there too! but I prefer the green chilli green! I think ham or beef broth is much better than chicken (besides I can't have chicken!) and I would rather get the "bullion fresh from the meat" than in a cube! some may toss a little cilantro in it too! I used to but now allergic! If you make the Ham and beans use plenty of onion! Best wishes! Clearly,.... Crystal

wow guys thanks these sound good...I saw a big ole can of pinto beans at the store I may go get it...found out I got called back to work for wednesday til who knows when...WAHHHHHHHHH

so I better get this made tomorrow I will be reading these recipes and seeing if I have the stuff to make something...

I have peas I could make spilt pea soup anyone have a great recipe? or beans or soup hmmmmmm many choices...dont see ham soup very often. I could even add dumplings to it...

THANKS PEEPS!! lol uppercase I had too...

.:eek:.... "canned beans"... :( shame on you 2dogs

Split pea soup is pretty simple. Ya gotta start with the dry spilt peas in the bag. But they cook up fairly quick. Put the ham bone in a big kettle and cover with water. Dump the dry peas in, and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn it down to a simmer, and let it go until the peas are tender, couple hours. Chop up some onion, little salt and pepper, and I usually cube up a couple carrots in it, too. Oh, and if ya end up with a big kettle, its better the 2nd day.

that sounds so good....thank you wmmeyer...my peas are fresh/frozen I may have to improvise...

hick..lol I didnt even know beans came dry til I was like 15 yo... I guess I could get those and soak overnight.. but dont they sometimes have hard bits in them?

..just throw 'em in a slow cooker before noon, with the hambone, fill it with water, set it on low, and come home at 5:30 to a full meal.
Soaking them overnight in soda water aids in removing the .."poppers"..;)

thanks! the dry ones are probably kinder on the wallet too...

You get the same if you put a potato in the beans, it takes the crack pout of em! Alot of things ya can do 2dog. Beans is the best, lets touch on hick's idea. Same thing just add garlic, onions, cilantro, salt, pepeer, cumin,and a pinch of sugar. When you get home if you transfer to a metal pot and continue to simmer fer 30-45 min it will thicken the bean juice with no extra additives. Simply serve over your fav rice. Dinner and leftovers fer lunches at work fer the week. A simple cordon blue, slice the ham thin about a hair past the thickness of a quarter. Take a bonless chicken boob and cut a slit in the middle large enough to stuff cheese or a string cheese snak into. Be carefull not to cut in half and if you can not all the way through. a pouch if you will. Wrap ham around cheese till you can't see most of it, stuff it your chicken boob. Close cut end or ends with toothpics. make a simple egg wash, like your frying chicken. Dip into eggwash and roll in your fav. breadcrumbs or panko(japanese breadcrumbs). Place on greased pan or cookie sheet on bottom rack at 350 fer 45 min or till done. You can buy a hollandaise suace packet at your local store. Knorr's is actually not that bad or serve plain over wild rice pilaf.

that sounds awesome chef...so if I do dry beans I do have to worry about little bits hu? thats a bummer I might hurl....hmmmm.

the chicken cheese ham thing sounds rich...hmmmm I have all that stuff. I might do muchsroomos with it too..hmmmm love all the ideas.

my favorite thing to think about is all the different ways humans can cook with one item...

Another good munchie/dinner idea with the mushrooms is a breakfast dinner. Omlets anyone?

chef your poor wife if I lived with you I would be 25 pounds heavier...:eek:

Yeah i gotta switch to low carb cooking so she can drop some pounds. Hehehe.

Latest posts

Back