How Do You Wire Pulse Start Halide Ballast Kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomocheesemo

Reaction score
Took the plunge and bought the Phillips CMH 400W.

First HID Ballast kit to wire up... has double commons on the ballast and double commons on the ignitor.

Can't seem to find any real info on how to wire this particular type correctly.

Here's a link to the Spec sheet for the Ballast kit.

hxxp://howard-ind.com/HowardLighting/Documents/SpecSheets/Ballast/MagneticHID/M0400-71C-6E3.pdf

Anybody else wired up one of these Pulse Start Metal Halides?:eek::eek:

edited waiting for pics.

I think I know where its confusing.

The portion that I'm not clear on Mutt is the double commons coming off both the ignitor, and the ballast itself. The multi-tap for the voltage is not a problem. I'll be running it 240 and using the violet wire.

If you look at the spec sheet... it only shows a single common coming off of the ballast and the ignitor.

Have you wired up a pulse start MH OR HPS with double commons like this?

Thanks...

I'm stepping away to take some pics for clarity sake... be back soon

Take a good pic of the ignitor with the wires spread out. Yes I've seen em with multiple commons. "supposedly" easier wiring. Electrical/electronic engineers like to make things more complicated then they have to be.

The spec sheet has x3 x2 and x1 over each wire from the ignitor.
telling me should be 3 blues 2 whites and a red. looking at the schematic 1 white goes to the bulb other white goes to the transformer. one white from the transformer goes to the ignitor and the other goes to the bulb. completing the circuit shown. Doesn't matter which ones which all start and end same spots, just around the elbow sorta. ;) Picture a big circle with couple of spots going to three different spots all on the same line.

Transformer white 1>>>>>>ignitor white 1
Transformer white 2 >>>Bulb white 1
Ignitor white 2>>>>>bulb white 1

Sigh... connector and battery issues with camera...

Ignitor has: 2 White, 1 Blue, 1 Red

Capacitor: 2 White

Ballast: 2 White, 1 Black, 1 Orange, 1 Black/Yellow, 1 Violet, 1 Black labeled CAP

pics to come soon, thanks for the help:):)

note my edit :)
with wire layout. There should be two white wires hooked up to the white off the socket.
Per the schematic. The double commons go to a single leg inside the transformer and ignitor.
If you put an ohm meter on it you can verify this...should read short. ;)

sorry I edit a lot.

nomocheesemo said:
Sigh... connector and battery issues with camera...

Ignitor has: 2 White, 1 Blue, 1 Red

Capacitor: 2 White

Ballast: 2 White, 1 Black, 1 Orange, 1 Black/Yellow, 1 Violet, 1 Black labeled CAP

pics to come soon, thanks for the help:):)

I got it. ;)

No sweat.
does the cap have a third black wire? It should. If not take a pic of the top of the cap.

No Black wire on the Capacitor...

Just two whites...

Going back to look at the lettering on the Black wire coming off of the Ballast that looks like it says CAP.

Gonna have to find my Reading Glasses...

Like usual schematic doesn't match the ballast. Haven't seen a one match yet. only thing every right is the input side of the transformer and the socket ...starter labeling is always screwed up. Think because they change suppliers mid manufacturing year. Gotta love in-house red lines to a schematic. Leaves the customer out in the cold.

Yeah when you get your camera sorted pop up pictures of each part. I'll get you up and running :)
I have to get my day started will check in around lunch.

Attach you photos by clicking on the paper clip after uploading, then we stoners dont have to open every photo one at a time.:48:

nova564t said:
Attach you photos by clicking on the paper clip after uploading, then we stoners dont have to open every photo one at a time.:48:

givin it a try now... OK did it.

thanks for the help nova564t

edit....very revised. see reply.

hold up on connecting the cap....confirming what is what for you.

OK on the cap...talked to there guy.
their engineer said "wow this is a confusing one" LOL

The single biggest problem with this hobby and lighting...no two manufacturers do crap the same way. :holysheep: that cap looking like it goes to blue had me all screwed up. I've 90% of the time hooked them up to the common. had one with 3 wires out of the cap. old model.
one was ground in case of cap short out.

sorry for multiple postings...just trying to keep it simple :p

Starter(ignitor)
starter Blue>>>>> tranformer blue
starter RED>>>>transformer red AND socket red (or it may be black the one from the center prong not the one to the socket threads)

Now for the confusing part :p
Starter white 1 >>>> transformer white.
Starter White 2 >>>> Socket White
other transformer white >>>Cap white (doesn't matter...per manufacturer) Other Cap white wire goes to Transformer (cap wire)

Transformers left over white wire goes to input common (right from your your outlet..) White is bypassing the transformer. So no real way to muck it up. Its alternating current so even if you get the common and hot mixed up will still work.

This is the final wiring layout....and no different then any other HID with a cap in parallel. found this at mjp, saved me from drawing one up.
hXXps://www.mjp.com/gallery/data/500/10099150_hps_with_capacitor_final.JPG

the CAP had me bent. just weren't clear on where it got hooked up and they mis-labeled the wiring (black/white) when both are white...made it very easy for error.

damn they made this 2x as hard as it had to be. why they label "white common" as a different output on the cap is beyond me...

After you hook it up make sure you can see all paths for the wires and take a pic before applying the juice..
I talked to the engineer and i got it solid what it needs to be wired like. he admitted that they never provide enough info on ballasts.

Latest posts

Back