pot or bag size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. In thinking out this current grow I have started and its a first for me.. When my plants get into the larger veg size.. What are the biggest size pots or bags you guys like to use? Thanks Hero

I like to use 3-7 gallon containers...but this depends on How long I plan to veg for..take care and be safe

I love my 5 gallon buckets. If growing in soil, I start in party cups and transfer to the 5 gallon buckets after about 3 weeks.

5 gallon buckets as in those used for paint ect? ( with the handle?) how tall do you let your plants get? n Thanks Hero

it acording to the height of your grow area. Some strains will double in height after the switch to flowering so you have to take that into account when you grow and plan for plant height and distance from the light to be able to grow the plants to finish.

I use 3 gallon pots, in soil, and easily harvest an ounce to two per plant! Less veg+more plants*smaller pots=same or larger yield in shorter time in a sea of green... Let's say traditionally you veg four plants for two months and then flower them in 7 gallon pots... Only four fit into your flowering chamber with 2 ounces each... 8 ounces in four months (8 weeks for flower). Now, let's say you veg 8 plants for 5 weeks and put them in 3 gallon pots. Now all 8 will fit into flowering chamber and with a 1 1/4 ounce average yield per plant, this gives you 10 ounces in three months and one week (8 weeks for flower). Food for thought guys!

Gixxerman420 said:
I use 3 gallon pots, in soil, and easily harvest an ounce to two per plant! Less veg+more plants*smaller pots=same or larger yield in shorter time in a sea of green... Let's say traditionally you veg four plants for two months and then flower them in 7 gallon pots... Only four fit into your flowering chamber with 2 ounces each... 8 ounces in four months (8 weeks for flower). Now, let's say you veg 8 plants for 5 weeks and put them in 3 gallon pots. Now all 8 will fit into flowering chamber and with a 1 1/4 ounce average yield per plant, this gives you 10 ounces in three months and one week (8 weeks for flower). Food for thought guys!

how hard is it to grow in sea of green?? what exactly do you have to do? can you veg and flower in same area? how many pots can you fit in say a 3'x6' area, growing an indica strain??

hero4u2b said:
5 gallon buckets as in those used for paint ect? ( with the handle?) how tall do you let your plants get? n Thanks Hero

Hi hero,
In my journal (link in my signature) I have started flowering some plants in 5 gallon pots. And I have some plants veggin in 8 gallon pots if you want to see. I have also flowered in 2 and 3 gallon pots. Personally I like to use as big a pot as possible. The more room you give your roots to grow the better the plant will do generally. But it really depends on how big you want them to be. It doesn't make sense to flower a 6 inch tall freshly rooted clone in a 10 gallon pot just because you are wasting so much space with the pot. I also don't want to put too small of a plant in too large of a pot because it can take a long time for the soil to dry out after watering and this can lead to molds and fungi (I love that word, "fungi").

Hope this helps,
-SSF-

hero4u2b said:

Those are the ones hero. You can drill small holes around the top of the lid to tie down and train for a little lst. Keeps em short and gives you a nice even canopy with lots of bud sites. A fellow grower here (I think hamster, but could be wrong) mentioned he does this sometimes.

I didn't train this time but I had a lot of issues and my girls got real big. I just yanked the tops down and tied them off on the frame of the tent. The girls are sleeping now so I can't take pics, but they wake up around the time I get home from work so I'll take some pics then.

I am in the minority it seems.....I do all my work in one gallon pots....seeds get soaked 12 hours then into my egg carton in a small amount of moist soil...when they pop they get transplanted to solo cups till they have a cpl sets of true leaves then they go to their final home....one gallon pots. I veg till they show sex and then flip them. I pull 2-3 ounces a pot. I have grown some monster lolipops in nothing more then 20 ounce cups for the whole grow. Most growers like bigger pots though....

It is also worth mentioning that in many places the number of plants you are growing if busted will affect the charges against you. In other words, in some places more plants = more jail time. There are also places where you can grow legally, but you are limited in the number of plants you can grow.

Just something else to consider when deciding how big you want to grow your plants.
-SSF-

I would love to see those pics Sensistar. Everything is ordered and should arrive in a week.. I am doing 4 or 5 plants this grow.. depending on if one ever comes out of the soil I put it in.. lol I was thinking 5 gallon buckets. I know outdoors plants can grow much larger I have grown them like that. I sure hope that this HID light works well for smaller plants during veg.. I know most of you all seem to say you like t 5s or CLFs for veg but I only am using 4 CFLs under this opened piece of 6 inch dryer duct actiing as a reflector and dont want to go out and buy a bunch more CFL;s.. Possibly next grow I will look into some t 5s I dropped $749.00 this morning and need to wait a bit before decideing to invest more.. Thanks Yall Hero

hero4u2b said:
I would love to see those pics Sensistar. .. Thanks Yall Hero

Sure thing. In fact, I had a thread going recently about repotting where I repotted a plant that was getting too big for it's 5 gallon pot and I put her into an (I think) 8 gallon pot. Pics are in there too of the root mass.
Here is the thread:
http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54741

-SSF-

donnachris67 said:
how hard is it to grow in sea of green?? what exactly do you have to do? can you veg and flower in same area? how many pots can you fit in say a 3'x6' area, growing an indica strain??
I put eight three gallon pots in a 3'x3' space... So probably like 16 I'm guessing? you can veg and flower in the same area but you'll have to do an entire season at a time (no flowering and vegging at the same time) this means that you'll be at least three months between harvests... Split your area in two and grow half as much at a time in each area... remember that in a sea of green it's more plants that are smaller in the same area with less time producing the same or more yield! no loss in quality or quantity, just more seeds and less time!

Latest posts

Back