sick 9-day olds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2x

Reaction score
10-23-06cS.jpg

This is my first real grow, after being quite successful on a windowsill. As you can see, the ICE babies (those with toothpicks) are a quite yellow in the leaf.

I grew them in peat pots and worry that they may have gotten too much water in their infancy. They have not received any nutes yet.
Like I said, they are nine-days old. They're growing under (3) 75w & (1) 150w florous (total: 7200 lumens). The pots are all sitting on a heating pad set on medium. As you can see, heat is probably also contributing to the problem since it's only getting in the low 70s during the day and the mid 60s at night (I'll be insulating the space tonight).

Does this look like over-watering? Or just temps? I planted the peat-pots into the pots you see three days ago, which was also the last time I watered them (trying to dry the roots out- the peat pots were kept moist through the seeds germination until they were transplanted).

um, anybody? all opinions and ideas no matter how unqualified are welcome....

IMHO i would get them off the heat pad. Stick you finger in the soil about 2 or 3 inches if the soil is dry then give it some water. You should only have to water every 3 or 4 days IMHO. Also how far away do you have your lights? What kind of soil?

lights are 2-4" away from each plant. Using organic potting soil with pearlite- I don't have a brand name or composition with me now, but will post a more comprehensive description tonight.

they're on the heating pad because the room that they're in right now still isn't staying as warm as I'd like (mid 50s to mid 60s). why do you think I should take them off the pad? I do have two rolls of insulation ready to go up and I hope I'll have a chance to tonight or at the latest tomorrow.

j2x said:
lights are 2-4" away from each plant. Using organic potting soil with pearlite- I don't have a brand name or composition with me now, but will post a more comprehensive description tonight.

they're on the heating pad because the room that they're in right now still isn't staying as warm as I'd like (mid 50s to mid 60s). why do you think I should take them off the pad? I do have two rolls of insulation ready to go up and I hope I'll have a chance to tonight or at the latest tomorrow.
Your lights should keep them warm enough. I would try and get your temps up around 75% or so if ya can. Also do you have a fan in there blowing on them?

and when you water, water the container enough to saturate all of the medium.....to aviod dry pockets and root damage. ultimately leading to stunted growth and reduction in yeild.

the fluoros should keep them warm? they sure don't generate much heat... I can hold my hand directly in front of them (1/4") and it doesn't feel very hot.

yes, I have a fan gently blowing on them 24/7.

thanks for the suggestion on thorough watering. I'll be sure to saturate the soil from now on. On my last windowsill grow I only watered when I saw the leaves drooping a bit (every 2-3 days), but it's so hard to tell with the little babies. saturating the soil every 3 days is a good basic hydration plan?

Latest posts

Back