crazy spiking PH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShuttyMcShutShut

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had been monitoring ph using those aquarium test strips until my GH "ph up/down/test" kit came in. The strips were very inaccurate(no suprise) but the GH test liquid read that the ph was a high 7....YIKES......so i adjusted down to about a 6.5 and planned on adjusting further once the babies had time to aclimate....i checked it again today and it was back up again....so i adjusted it down again....heres my setup
Type:Im growing hydro(ebb & flow in hydroton(waterfarm to be specific)), Nutrients:using purified bottled water, no nutes,
Flood&Drain:1hr on/ 2 off
Lights:40w Flouro lighting approx 4" from plant on a 24/0 schedule.
PH:(see description)
Stage:seedling, 16 days old
Temp:constant at 73 degrees
Ventilation & Size:4'x2'x8' ventilated by a 6" vortex on a temp controll switch. 6" fan blowing across them 24/7

any idea why this is happening? hydroton isnt supposed to affect PH and the only nutes im currently using are VERY diluted by even GH "seedling recommendation" anything i can do about it? Ive already reached the abrupt conclusion that I will need to buy a PH pen for true accuracy(plus, ive used a ton of that test solution in just two days) any help appreciated
Peace

these ph fluxutions are normal you just have to stay on top of them, also you in hydro you want to keep your ph from 5.4 -6.2 optimaly 5.8 ph will always move as your plant vegetates and grow this is normal and this is somthing that you have to stay on top of for a healthy hydro enviornment, also addind half strength nutes daily to replenish should buffer your nutes down a bit. also it is a good idea to get a good digi ph tester.

Latest posts

Back