rosin press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojoganjaman

Reaction score
I have seen many vids on press'...I dony want to smash a couple buds...would take weeks...I want to do ounces minimum at one time....any ideas????

mojo

There is a pretty harsh learning curve to pressing large amounts like that but if I were going to do anything larger than personal use, I would search Instagram for Sunfire (user) and Elysian Research. I think they have the top in technique and support.

We have ordered all the parts to make it. woohoo, i will let you know when we get it all.

Aluminum plates and heaters and the 10 ton press, Waiting on the press.

Reactions: zem
What kind of press did you get? I have all the parts to make one, but ran into a snag drilling the aluminum plates and haven't gotten back to it.

a hydrolic press? Strongway ten ton hydrolic press from Northern Tool.

Cool, thg, i am laughing at us. Us old hippies getting a rosen press. We are pretty cool, ya gotta admit.

Yeah, well you'll be laughing real soon when you're smoking beautiful golden rosin like this.

I pressed this earlier from some Lemon OG.

I am to the point where I smoke mostly rosin. I set up a rig with my bong and a G9 enail and I am really happy with it. Just bought a "Pied Piper" portable rosin pen. We'll see how it works soon.

I love my rosin press. I just pressed some Med Tree Continuum tonight and I am going to make some CBD caps tomorrow.

Rosin is the best thing to happen to pot since the bong. LOL

Also, for those who would like rosin but can't hassle with the press, you can still use a hair straightener and get great results.

View attachment tar-2.jpg

That is pretty darn beautiful up there Hackerman. I bet there will be a learning curve, like temperature and pressure... We need Ston-loc to come in here and inform me.

Squishing an ounce I would use 10x10x1 plates. I use a 3x5x1 for 4 gram squishes. yes it is a learning curve when first start out. like growing weed. you need to just jump in and screw up so you get better in time. I made mine and love it. a lot easier to make vape juice with rosen than any other method for me.

LMTSGA

The color seems to be very strain specific. My Cindy99 was always dark. No mater how I pressed it. This Lemon OG is just that color.

Pressure and temp are pretty easy. Temp is almost always going to be between 210F and 240F.

Pressure is a little more variable. For flowers, it's a harder press. For dry sift, you have to go with less pressure or the filters rupture.

The size of the plates will usually decide how big of a puck you press. My plates are very small (4") so I can only press about 2 grams at a time. Any more than that and the flower just squishes out the sides.

Pressure is all about the plate size as well. Since we are talking PSI, the size of the plates and the press are related. Harder presses don't mean more yield. There is a sweet spot for pressing and if you press too hard, undesirable things can happen. Like filter rupture and pass-through on the parchment and burning and over shattery results.

So, the size of the press is really dependent on the size of the plates. My plates are small so a 10 ton press would just be a waste. If my plates were 8" x 8", I would need a much larger press to get the same PSI that I am getting from my small press and small plates.. Get it?

Also, press real slowly. Once the heated plates make contact with the material, I go real real slow to give the flowers a chance to heat up. Than after about 10 seconds, I press fully and let the river flow. LOL

While you're waiting for your parts, you might look for something to make "pucks".

Pucks are nice for a number of reasons. Mostly, it helps prevent little pieces of pot from getting mixed in with the rosin. This leaves ash in your nail and tastes like ****.

Also, it helps contain the flower so it presses in a consistent pattern.

Mine are round but since your plates are square, you might want to go with square or rectangle.

A puck press simply presses the flower into a block so it is solid when you place it in the rosin press.

Search "Puck Press" on Ebay or Amazon for a picture of one. Mine makes a 1" diameter puck for 4" round plates.

Here is a pic of mine.

View attachment press-2.jpg

A lot easier to make vape juice with rosin than any other method for me.

LMTSGA

That's the truth. In fact, it's easier to do most everything with rosin as a starting base. I use it for all my edibles.

Last night I took 2 Jolly Rancher candies and put it in a 10ml beaker on my hotplate. In a few minutes when they melted, I dropped a .25 gram of rosin in it and stirred a moment before pouring it into candy molds.

Jolly Rancher meds in 3 minutes. Doesn't get any easier than that. And, I didn't have to make 50 of them. I just made enough for right then and there.

HG, that looks like a pretty nice setup for a pretty reasonable price.

However, since you have everything already and are just waiting for someone to drill the holes, why not just drill them yourself. If you mess up, buy the ones you linked. If you don't mess up, you have your plates and don't need to buy those.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Good point Hackman on the "pucks" this allow us to put more Product in bag. Google "Keef" press. I purchased mine from Head shop

I also would like to say that temps are dependent on size of press and plates. I like 160-180. anything over 200 for me burns the Goo. I get that golden color on a lower temp and faster press. Im still playing with mine and am still learning.

The snafu is my tools. My drill press will not drill deep enough holes for the heating rods...but it is more than drilling and tapping. There is the makeup and wiring of the control box. And my buddy will go in halfsies on this with me. And truly, I have enough work on my To Do List that I don't need any extra things to do. Hope to start tiling the bathroom this week.

I also like making vape liquids and edibles with concentrates and have been visiting the dispensary for mine. I still really like to smoke bud and I don't think that will ever change. I find that smoking BHO (and other concentrates) makes me cough. I'm anxious to try rosin. I froze a baggie of fresh bud when I harvested for the express purpose of making rosin from it. I also have a harvest of CBD strains coming up.

Do you use bags or just parchment paper? I'll start thinking about a puck press. Looks like something that could be made with a piece of pipe and a dowel.

I didn't know you had a controller and everything to wire. I just connected mine to a standard plug and I use a fan dimmer to control the temps.

I just use parchment. And, I usually only press flowers. I have tried dry sift in filter bags but the bags seem to absorb all the rosin. I have much better luck with plain parchment and pucks.

Fresh frozen buds will make a watery mess if you try to press them. Fresh frozen (live rosin) is made by taking that fresh frozen bud and sifting it to make dry sift. Then, pressing the sift.

I misunderstood this and pressed some fresh frozen buds... LMAO.... you should see the mess. Lesson learned.

Yeah, puck maker is just a hole and a plug. Lots of ways to do that. If your plates are square, you might want a square puck maker. It will be considerably smaller than your plates.

@ political name, check the actual temp of your plates with the readout on your controller. They are often different. 160-180 just sounds way too low. I get almost zero yield at that temp. I start at 190F.

Latest posts

Back