Same soil, same watering and nutrient schedule, grows different

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaibrick

Reaction score
Hi, thats my first post on this forum, I just love you guys and your support. Most things I know abt growing I learned reading different topics here. Apart from few scientific articles I managed to find on the web.

Sooo, to the point. I planted two seeds early in march and have kept the seedlings mostly inside in warm and sunny place until late april. Under plexiglass celling, to be precise, perfect spot for germination and nursery. Fed them with a teaspoon plain water enchanted with kelp meal and minuscule amounts of salicin acid, they did really well and now they are transplanted into bigger pots and left outside.

I keep spraying my mixture on them twice a day. There is also kelp meal added into the soil in amount one cup per plant. Pots are around 30 litre universal planting soil with medium sized grains of perlite. I keep pinching it with bamboo stick, so it stays loose even after watering. Every week I add little bit of dandelion (mostly) tea to my water, just a little not to overload my babies with different stuff.

Its june now so my plants are like 60 days from sprouts, I keep LST them by tying tops low and apart from each other. On one plant there are already 6 baby branches coming out. I also did top both of them once (very early, it was possibly a mistake). I keep removing one of big fan leaves week or so just to make myself a green sandwich :-]

One strain that is out of concern of this post seems to be doing perfectly well, its light green and have no marks of sickness. Its the one with sox branches. Unfortunately I forgot name of this one.

Second baby is Thai-tanic - mostly sativa strain of thai cannabis mixed with classic skunk (according to Flying dutchmen who provided me with seeds). She grows really slow and today I noticed that most of developed baby leaves on the new tops are curled. The two developed fan leaves are deep green and also develop marks of curling and browning on very tips. Also, they are very "hard " in touch, like cardboard or something, you can bend them with a "click" inside or outside.

It's the leaves curling that concerns me, I'm sure I'm not overwatering them and my nutrients are very low in N. I just keep the soil wet down the pot, the top inch stays almost all the time dry. She is also very slooow growing plant.

Anyone got idea what is the cause of this slow and somehow disturbed growth?

Greetings lads!

Welcome to the forum.
Have you added anything besides kelp to your soil, as far as nutrients? The decomposition of your kelp my be lowerin your pH.

They will need more then kelp to thrive.

Way too many variables. What is ph of soil and nutes? You may have bugs. Stop messing with the plant by topping and lst.

Tx for answers. It's universal soil, one that you can buy in any gardening store. I water it with dandelion tea every second watering. To be honest, I spared on water very much during this 60 days, most of liquid used came from daily spraying... Today it rained hard whole day and the plant looks now better than in the morning though the leaves are still curled.

I have no way of testing acidity of my growing medium, are there easy tests to perform at home?

Thrip are insects that make the buds hard. You need a eye loupe 60 x power to really see them. They look like lice, or tiny tiny white worms.
Your strain of thai tanic sounds fun. Listen to these guys up here, they will help you. good luck to you.

Dandelion tea is rich in potassium, but little else. I suspect that they need a wider range of nutrients. Why are you giving them daily sprayings?

Lmao... Know someone who used to collect them in jars... He used to run around with empty jars telling everyone "they're full of thrips so small that you can't see them with naked eye". He had a lot of thrips running around on shoulder and parts where he couldn't reach alone, very often asked people around to help with collecting specimens to put into glass or another store. And he never ever smoked ganja, funny guy lol.

Luckily these thrips are not my problem, really. I keep a lot of garlic and wormwood around in my small garden so the bugs stay away.

If using super proper soil, how big would my plant have grown after 2 months since sprouting? I may have screwed at this point but it's my first serious shoot at growing my own baby buds.

Peace lads

Dandelion tea is rich in potassium, but little else. I suspect that they need a wider range of nutrients. Why are you giving them daily sprayings?

It wont hurt, right? According to some sources its good to spray plants with kelp tea cuz it's rich in plant growth hormones. I hope it will affect buds quakity too :)

It wont hurt, right? According to some sources its good to spray plants with kelp tea cuz it's rich in plant growth hormones. I hope it will affect buds quakity too :)

Yes, actually it can hurt.

Good morning lads

I'm not a botanist but had my introduction to biology while at university. So I researched the plant biology online and found out that there are substances that regulate different processes of life. In this group you can find cytokinins that are telling the plant to grow and branch out, also support root growth. And it seems that there are no better natural sources of cytokinins than kelp meal.

I do it on every plant daily I have and they are doing great. My medinilla started to grow two new branches after applying kelp spraying, before she was "quiet" for like a year.

My plan is to go on trough vegetative stage and see myself if it hurts or not.

And here I thought you needed help.

And here I thought you needed help.

A bit of advice and some brainstorming too :whistle:

I think I may have underwatered my baby plants. From now on I'm going to give them precious liquid every morning.

Greetings

Let's see a picture of your plants, i showed you mine.:vap-Bong_smoker:

OMG, could you come by my house please mojoganjaman? What do you feed three times a year?

OMG, could you come by my house please mojoganjaman? What do you feed three times a year?

no idea on the formula...it comes from the same fella that provides me dirt and clones...but it appears to work...I do amend the dirt...we sift it in march at the farm, mix it with castings and dolomite lime and bloodmeal in my yard...then drop it in holes and let it cook until planting in early may...then feed once in veg via garbage pail and sump pump repeat twice in flower...I'll check with my source for the feed formula...I also add molasses my last feeding...hth

mojo

edit: I also use a 3 claw garden tool to rough the dirt at first signs of flower...then water in bonemeal...;))

that is an amazing plan you have there. I am going to make a note of what you said. Thank you

that is an amazing plan you have there. I am going to make a note of what you said. Thank you

I try to keep it simple...less cost and less work on my back...its a po' old dirt farmer thing...;))

mojo

Latest posts

Back