To harvest or not to harvest?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone again!

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can help me... I am growing 7 different strains right now and one, {Black Widow} Looks like it may be ready to harvest because all the pistils have dyed up! I would send some pictures if I had a docent camera... I have been watching them close and this one has not not changed in a week while my other strains get fatter and fatter... Any thoughts here guys?

You really need a scope to best tell when to harvest, my friend!

Ditto on the microscope. 10-20 bucks. You can harvest when the plant is ready, not all strains will finish at the same time. Keep an eye on the Trichromes and the pistils. You state the pistils have browned so most likely it is ready maybe even grown into its final lively state. If its telling you its ready listen to it.

With the others why not grab the scope harvest some of your babies early with cloudy (not clear) trikes no amber colored ones, so you get the good daytime smoke and then let some go 50/50 and then some go real late and have mostly amber trikes.

Then you will have a selection of personal. For just the right moment everytime.

The pistils can die off for other reasons than maturity (pollination for example). I would also recommend a 30x or better scope to check the trichs.

How many weeks have they been in 12/12? Were they sexually mature when you put them into flowering?

THG probably has the best idea about it. Trichromes really are solid evidence of maturity as pistils can change for other reasons.

I was going to buy a scope but my hands shake pretty bad and add in the fact that I am partially color blind and well there ya go! I bought a Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope camera; thinking I could get a decent picture and ask you guys or something… but it turns out you need to have a steady hand for this one also… :huh: :cry: :fid: :cry: :confused:

violin123.jpg

here!.jpg

Shakiness shouldn't be too much a problem if you cut the leaf and place it on a surface with the scope over it....as long as you don't poke your eye out, all is good :)

Thanks Roddy… I don’t know why I didn’t think of that… I got some pictures but I can seem to get them on here… Most of the trichomes are clear with maybe one out of ten with some color but most of them seem to have a black spot in the head…

Ok... Thanks for all your help guy's... Sorry it took so long to get back to you... I found a picture of the finished product and mine has 2 to 3 weeks to go I guess... Don't you guy's just love first time growers?

Stone again! said:
Thanks Roddy… I don’t know why I didn’t think of that… I got some pictures but I can seem to get them on here… Most of the trichomes are clear with maybe one out of ten with some color but most of them seem to have a black spot in the head…

Black trich's are overdone. You want them mostly cloudy with amber ones.

The amber ones turn black when overdone.

Roddy said:
Yep, black trichs are bad, means overdone! :yeahthat:
Ya that's what I was thinking also! I smoked a little sample I had of it and it was way to heady for me... So I will see if I can trade it for something that is more of a pain killer... Anything in an Indica would be nice... I have 6 other strains which 3 are solid Indica, so I should be OK!
I am going to try a re-harvest on all my plants... and at the same time I have a boat load of single strain seeds I can germinate ... By this time next year if all goes right I will be growing 12 different strains flowering with 12 more vegetating and waiting to take their place... So If you want to be a marijuana plant on my balcony and you want to live a long time then you better be nice to me... :stoned: :bolt: :rofl:

Latest posts

Back