Size of pots/yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
A question about size pots and yields.
I start with 2 litter hempy bottles, then to 2 gallon pots and flower in 3's.
I can't really lift 5 gallon pots everyday as my back is permanently hurt.

But I hear about 3-6 ounces from one indoor plant! What am I missing?
A larger pot is out of the question as is a larger light.
With 3 gallon pots and a 400w light...
is more than an ounce and a half an impossible goal?

Thank you...

The Poet...♪

yes pot size can be a limiting factor and no its not unheard of to get more the 1.5 even with 3 gallon pots.
what are you growing?
what light is that? t5 or HID?
I grew 2 vast and fast auto strain under 432 watt t5 in 3 gallon pots and got twice that per plants. try to give more info like type of grow medium, nutes line etc. and maybe someone can better assist in your grow. is there a reason you have to lift the pots?

can you grow in hydro? if you can, then you can make a DWC with no medium or flood and drain with light clay pebbles

:yeahthat:

The Poet;I can't really lift 5 gallon pots everyday as my back is permanently hurt. The Poet...♪[/QUOTE said:
Why do you have to lift pots everyday?
Hydro might help.

I think you should consider trying more plants in smaller pots........ keep them shorter with 4 to 6 tops each......... I'm currently running 12 plants in a 4x4 space on a 3x3 table..... the plants are in one gallon pots and were flipped at about 12 inches tall........ we did a micro grow here a few years ago........ I got 24grams of pot from a plant grown in a 12 ounce soda can.

View attachment bong%20029%20(1000%20x%20750).jpg

Gentlemen,

I am growing Satori, a large plant, Mastodon and OGS/og which are short.
Satori being the largest plant it should yield more.
I flip the Satori at 20"+ and 1 1/2 oz !?!~

Set up: 400w hps, 3 gallon pots, 'Empire Builder' potting soil, Espoma garden tone for veg and Canna Bio-Flores for flower. Water and fertilize every third or fourth day.

I can fit 8- 3 gallon pots or 10-11- 2 gallon pots in my kiddie pool.

I actually lift my 3 gallon pots only every third or even fourth day 'to 'water and drain' them in the bathroom', but it seems 'I am always moving them around'. 5 gallon pots can be painful if my back is already out. That's why I said 'everyday'...
poorly worded, sorry.

Thank you...

The Poet...♪

i have an ebb and flow water tray thats 5ftx3ft, that i use for my veg plants, i simply water them and let the runoff just collect in the tray and it will evaporate in a day or so, when i flower them each plant has its own saucer for catching water, i personally never move my plants out for watering, but if that is something you must do, perhaps you should look into getting a 3-5gal bucket and something to put ontop of the bucket that the plant can sit ontop of and drain through into the bucket, that way you wouldnt have to move plants from grow area to bathroom, simply move them out of the flowering area/tent and water/drain one at a time, or since you have them in a kiddie pool maybe just forgo moving them all together and just water them in the pool, let the run off collect and evaporate on its own, just dont go balls to the wall with how much water you use per plant, i know a lot of people will use more then is honestly needed and get a bunch of runoff which imo is totally unnecessary as more runoff means you are leeching the soil/medium of nutrients, you dont need much more then a dribble of runoff, anything more is counter productive.

but getting back around to your original question, yes pot size CAN be a contributing factor in size of the plants, HOWEVER i do know from the years iv been around this forum site that there are many growers who have done micro grows or used small pots with retardedly HUGE plants, i forget the personal name on here but they were growing Larry OG and Satori last year in 1gal grow bags and averaging like 2oz easy per plant, with the right amount of topping, training and veg time you can overcome the small pot problem and still yield huge plants with ounces of bud each, the major trade off with doing that is it requires you to water them far more often, pretty much every single day, but as i said with proper topping and training you can create monsters in tiny pots. i personally use 3 or 5gal bags in flower and average about 2+ oz per plant, it really all comes down to how you train the plant, opening it up and topping multiple times to get it to bush rather then tree, if that makes sense to you,

btw Grower13... holy cow o_O nearly an OZ in a 12oz can... thats insane lol, but a sea of those would, im sure, yield a crap load... great job!

May I suggest a shop vac to suck up the run off from your kiddie pool. You can then wheel the shop vac wherever you need to empty it. Or maybe setup a pump in the bottom of the pool and run a hose out a window...

Speaking of pots and sizes... Trained a month old plant to grow more branches off her main branches and this caused her to become root-bound. I'm kinda afraid to use 5 gallon pots again after that whole fiasco! Basically the lesson is more growth = more need for root space. She is indeed a 100% indica strain... wondering if indicas tend to grow more roots than hybrids anyways. In any case, this kinda gives me an off feeling about using 5 gallons pots for even a normally vegged plant. Maybe they become root bound during flower and it affects yield/causes nute issues during flower? I got root bound during veg only! I think I'm always going to go with the more is better strategy, but then again, as the OP stated, he can't lift more than 5 gallon pot :(.

Good morning MP, finally ending my hiatus from growing (Florida is a no-no in a cond).
Looking at going back to coco but using smaller pots with more frequent and lower PPM.
Seeing a lot of good info about this.
Would love to see some feedback and then I will start a grow journal.
here's where I am.
4plants from seed. Delahaze fem, Fruit punch (barneys Farm Fem ), CK from barneys and possible blue dream from bud seed?
Looking at 2gal pots , coco with perlite res., drip feed multiple times per day after root establishment. Will veg under CFL's and possibly a T,5. Growing in a 4x4 tent. Flowering under 400 or 600 HPS.
This is a big change from 5gal hempy buckets, is smaller better????? had very good luck IMO from 5gal hempy but always looking at other ways. ?

Itching to get growing.
SG:vap-leafy_wave:

Good morning MP, finally ending my hiatus from growing (Florida is a no-no in a cond).
Looking at going back to coco but using smaller pots with more frequent and lower PPM.
Seeing a lot of good info about this.
Would love to see some feedback and then I will start a grow journal.
here's where I am.
4plants from seed. Delahaze fem, Fruit punch (barneys Farm Fem ), CK from barneys and possible blue dream from bud seed?
Looking at 2gal pots , coco with perlite res., drip feed multiple times per day after root establishment. Will veg under CFL's and possibly a T,5. Growing in a 4x4 tent. Flowering under 400 or 600 HPS.
This is a big change from 5gal hempy buckets, is smaller better????? had very good luck IMO from 5gal hempy but always looking at other ways. ?

Itching to get growing.
SG:vap-leafy_wave:

I get 9 plants in one gallon pots on 3x3 table in 4x4 space under a 600 hps........ using chipped coco with a top drip system....... I use a 25 gallon reservoir and feed with GH 3 part .......... I think I can help you.....:48:

IMO, your limiting factor here may not be your pots, but your light/and or other environmental factors. Simply put, a 400W light is only going to produce so much. How much are you producing each crop, total? Is your space overcrowded? There is so much more than pot size that determines yield. In fact, pot size is probably one of the bigger non-factors.

IMO, your limiting factor here may not be your pots, but your light/and or other environmental factors. Simply put, a 400W light is only going to produce so much. How much are you producing each crop, total? Is your space overcrowded? There is so much more than pot size that determines yield. In fact, pot size is probably one of the bigger non-factors.

I agree 400 HPS would be way under lite.......... a 1000 in a 4x4 is about right....... but he can use the 600 HPS and get good results as long as he keeps his plant around 3 feet tall after streatch including pot.

Wow, okay I am going to put together a new plan and move it over to grow journal. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but the info I got seems to confirm, big pots are not always the best.
I found some good info from a member over at mjp called "Hundred Gram Oz"
Okay thanks for all that info, now time to put the plan together and get back to growing.
SG

I was thinking about upgrading to LED but not sure they are optimum for flowering yet.

I agree 400 HPS would be way under lite.......... a 1000 in a 4x4 is about right....... but he can use the 600 HPS and get good results as long as he keeps his plant around 3 feet tall after streatch including pot.

Last 2 grows were 400w MH for veg and 600 HPS for flowering, did 2 plants each grow in a 3x5 ft grow room. Yield was 12 + oz for 2 plants.
Tent is attempt to move grow into a more secure area.

I get 9 plants in one gallon pots on 3x3 table in 4x4 space under a 600 hps........ using chipped coco with a top drip system....... I use a 25 gallon reservoir and feed with GH 3 part .......... I think I can help you.....:48:

That is the big question , building a drip system
and res, way to much info out there.
Greatly appreciate the input.
SG

I was thinking about upgrading to LED but not sure they are optimum for flowering yet.

Only LEDs I'd recommend are pricey but they work........... and yes they work well for veg........ there are some American companies working hard on the LEDs now......... I expect them to rule in a few years.

That is the big question , building a drip system
and res, way to much info out there.
Greatly appreciate the input.
SG

I put a 25 gallon Home depot tote under my 3x3 Eb and flow table and drain right back into the res........ use a 350gph pump and only run it for 15 mins twice a day on a timer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Storage-Tote-in-Black-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

http://www.homedepot.com/p/9-Outlet...WUEqynyCoIsR4szF-t1_SBoCz4vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Latest posts

Back