NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i woke up very unhappy today, sorry! was venting for no reason

mountain man said:
I am sorry, i just don't like its burning of my plants.

No worries my friend and everyone lurking. Couple things,

1: Some strains just cannot tolerate a 50% ratio. Others take 75%, hot mix. Some will always not make it, like 2 BM x PW that I popped. Burned up while all others thrived. Always start with less, 1st cycle. Then next roud if you think she can handle it. Bump it up.

2: With the proper 30 day cook time. The castings can be eliminated. Just not needed for nitrogen with the soy/alfalfa. This may be the reason light feeders burn up. Readily available nitrgoen from castings and slow release soy/alfalfa, is too much for some girls or boys.

3: i know it works, thats the bottom line. Easy, cost effective and I can yield 1.5 grams per watt from full organic cycle. Thats sickening for full ammendment grow.

bummer to hear it didn't work out for you mountain man.

I got mad respect for you my friend. But I have to disagree with you saying that this stuff doesn't work. That just isn't true.

Its all good, no need to diss anyone. Whatever works for YOU ! I only call 'em as i see 'em. And Kushluvr, i can put those photos up that will make your little girls look like the whispy 12" plants that they are.

now where did that darn popcorn smiley go again... :D

What kind of volume of medium does this recipe make? I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty :hubba: ....

6-7, 27gal totes and 3, 32gal trashcans full! 250+gallons i think i came up with...well thats what i had in my garage chillen for 30+ DAYS!

The Hemp Goddess said:
What kind of volume of medium does this recipe make? I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty :hubba: ....

Ha! No. You serious? I luv it.

Sounds a little high on finished amount kush. Been awhile since I made full batch. But 7.4gal in cf. With all the other items its prob another 2cf. So that would be 150gal give or take.

I am going to need a lot of help from all you dirt farmers. I do have to say that what I know about organics I could write on my thumbnail with a magic marker. I have been scouring the web for good organic info in general. I have just started doing outside general type gardening in the last couple of years and have tons to learn about everything. Any good links you can pass along will be appreciated (remember I am a real novice with dirt).

I have changed things up a bit and am using my 1000W in the main flowering room. I have moved one of the 600W to a smaller closet (2 x 6) and want to do some more indica dominant in that space in organic soil. I am still working on the ventilation, but have most everything I need. I have every confidence that the room will be finished before the medium is.

I have started a small worm composting thing called a Can-O-Worms. I have a friend who raises red wigglers, so he brought me over a pound or two of worms in a 5 gal bucket in castings to get me going. I am also going to be building some compost tumblers. I hope to have 3 55 gallon eventually and a smaller one to make up some smaller batches of "super soil".

I have started to source the products needed and will be buying them as I can. It is still quite cold here and I am not sure if I can compost at the temps we have now. The wormery is inside.

I am thinking that 10-20% of the recipe will give me plenty of medium. I will probably only start out with a 25% mixt5ure of this soil and the other 75% something else to make sure I don't cook my babies. I will try to error on the side of caution. This foray into organics is months off, but I will be prepping and asking a whole lot of questions.

that's awesome THG---my 1st suggestion actually more of a request is to start a separate gj thread so it will be easier for us to track---i know that such a gj thread posted by you with your knowledge and some tips from the others here will become a sticky when you cycle---very exciting---hope you agree---looking forward to your success

p.s.----what up with your micro grow

The Hemp Goddess said:
I am going to need a lot of help from all you dirt farmers. I do have to say that what I know about organics I could write on my thumbnail with a magic marker. I have been scouring the web for good organic info in general. I have just started doing outside general type gardening in the last couple of years and have tons to learn about everything. Any good links you can pass along will be appreciated (remember I am a real novice with dirt).

I have changed things up a bit and am using my 1000W in the main flowering room. I have moved one of the 600W to a smaller closet (2 x 6) and want to do some more indica dominant in that space in organic soil. I am still working on the ventilation, but have most everything I need. I have every confidence that the room will be finished before the medium is.

I have started a small worm composting thing called a Can-O-Worms. I have a friend who raises red wigglers, so he brought me over a pound or two of worms in a 5 gal bucket in castings to get me going. I am also going to be building some compost tumblers. I hope to have 3 55 gallon eventually and a smaller one to make up some smaller batches of "super soil".

I have started to source the products needed and will be buying them as I can. It is still quite cold here and I am not sure if I can compost at the temps we have now. The wormery is inside.

I am thinking that 10-20% of the recipe will give me plenty of medium. I will probably only start out with a 25% mixt5ure of this soil and the other 75% something else to make sure I don't cook my babies. I will try to error on the side of caution. This foray into organics is months off, but I will be prepping and asking a whole lot of questions.

Ask away :icon_smile:

My micro grow bit the dust. It seemed to be some kind of stem rot. It kind of browned up at the base and quit uptaking nutes. PH and ppms seemed to be in line so I do not know exactly how I killed my little baby :eek: . About my only guess is that such a small quantity of water in the res just got too warm. The full size plants in 5 gal totes in the same space did fine.

I have some general composting questions: First is regarding temps. How warm does it have to be for stuff to compost? And what is a good mix of carbon and nitrogen? Is it beneficial to start with some "starter compost" like a bucket or two from my friends compost pile? If so, what stage should the starter compost be?

Thanks all. I will start a GJ when I get going. I will also probably do a DIY on the tumble composter I am going to make. My outside dirt is so bad that everything needs to be amended. It is silly (not to mention ecologically unsound) to throw away garbage that can be turned into something useful so fast and easily. I am quite excited about getting into composting and organics. Not just for an inside grow, but for my flowers and veggies that I grow outside.

What I cant wait to hear is if you notice a diff in burn quality and/or flavor.

Well, in that case, I am probably going to have to do the same strains--clones from the same mother--and run both methods. IMO, organics makes hydro seem like kindergarten....

The Hemp Goddess said:
Well, in that case, I am probably going to have to do the same strains--clones from the same mother--and run both methods. IMO, organics makes hydro seem like kindergarten....

Yeah. I am sure you have a least one keeper that will be a good donor/tester.

nouvellechef said:
Ha! No. You serious? I luv it.

Sounds a little high on finished amount kush. Been awhile since I made full batch. But 7.4gal in cf. With all the other items its prob another 2cf. So that would be 150gal give or take.

well maybe its not wet enough then? it took a lot of containers! im no math expert!specially with cubic feet

Latest posts

Back