LED Grow Tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you like quality of led more than hps?

Night and day. HPS can seemingly bring out a slightly higher yield but you have to sacrifice so much for that to happen; Wasted energy, Super hot bulb (500-600 degrees.. fire hazard), double in electric.. the list goes on and on.

But, the reason I say night and day is because the first thing one noticed when switching from HPS and going LED is... Trichs!! There's 200% more resination on everything, hands down. This is proven, not just a "oh hey, I think so.." Also, lab tested and proven is that LED's bring out terrapins that don't even exist under HPS light (have video link somewhere documenting it). In the video I watched, they tested a NY Diesel and found a terrapin that didn't even show up on the HPS results, in the LED results, called "limonene"

Personal results show 1/2 reduction in electric.. close to the same in room temp, but don't have the crazy hot bulbs with potential for fire. LED spectrum also "feeds" the plant, so I've cut my nute intake by about 30%. I used to run 1400-1600 (or more) ppm's in flower with HPS, and now I barely touch 1200.

My journal, "The Dr's Office", chronicles all my journeys so far with LED's :D Check it out if you're bored :aok:

It is too early for me to tell. I can sure tell you that I did not get 200% more trichs. I am running 30% less electricity, but the heat seems about the same. I will probably try to run both LED and HPS this winter as the heat is an asset in the winter. I do need to hone in my "LED skills" though to really see what they will do.

I think I'm also running some of my 600's this winter, instead of my two 1500w heaters! May as well use that wattage to produce SOMETHING!!!! hahahahah :) I'm going to go bulk wild this winter, cause.. Eff it.

:D

Also, my trich production has been through the roof... very noticeable. Sorry this isn't the case for you :(

Dang.

Strains

I've noticed the increase on all strains. All roughly 10 strains that I've run since getting LED's. I had mom's for a long time and flowered out clones from it with HPS and as soon as I got the LED, these strains that I knew very well became all too foreign! They reacted different to LED for sure! First thing I noticed about 3-4 weeks into flower was the intense trich production on large fan leaves and stems, in the likes which I never had with my four 600w HPS fixtures.

So I would agree and say "maybe it's the strain" but.... many strains ran over here and increase shown on all of them. :D

they make them Amish heaters that are just a light bulb for the heat source.

So.. Is this fact that leds use less food for crops? How is this? Also what constitutes a good led? My friend is looking into those grow cabs because he needs stealthiness. Also they sucker you in with financing. But all I got to say is what a heap of ****. They told him that you can walk away from this cab for 2 weeks. Hydro lol cause it has a overpriced ph doser. Lol.

So.. Is this fact that leds use less food for crops? How is this? Also what constitutes a good led? My friend is looking into those grow cabs because he needs stealthiness. Also they sucker you in with financing. But all I got to say is what a heap of ****. They told him that you can walk away from this cab for 2 weeks. Hydro lol cause it has a overpriced ph doser. Lol.

with a big enough res, proper automation, and the right system, you could manage to walk away for 2 weeks if you had to.

Try and talk your buddy out of one of those cabinets--they are horribly overpriced and overhyped. My grows are in closets that are in my master bedroom/bathroom and are very stealth. It is very possible to have a stealth grow without investing thousands in those overpriced cabinets. Don't be taken in by shyster salespeople.

And while you may be able to walk away for 2 weeks, I don't know that you could with those small cabinets--don't think they have room for a big enough res for starters. And there is more to growing cannabis than just providing water and nutes.

And you know, I still do not really know what constitutes a good LED light. It is hard to get any real info as to what to look for in a good LED light. Most here just took PJ's advice when buying LEDs. I am less happy with the Mars II than I am with the Apollo. Even though it is smaller, the Mars puts out more heat and I am getting bleaching of the leaves with the Mars and not with the Apollo. If I invest in another LED, it will probably be a cob light and not another Mars like I have....but then money always enters into things. The Apollo cob was a lot more money than the Mars.

Even though it is smaller, the Mars puts out more heat and I am getting bleaching of the leaves with the Mars and not with the Apollo.

That's because the Mars is stronger. 5w diodes instead of 3w and more concentrated with lens angle.
You're REALLY close it sounds. I keep it about 15" - 24" away when flowering. I prefer to keep it 20-24 but had them get within 14" on my first grow with LED's, and never saw a spec of bleaching

Also, this Mars Cob light I have is much cooler.. and more powerful for sure. The results aren't in on this yet as far as flowering. I'm one of the only ones I know with one of these fixtures... Let's see what happens :)

The Apollo is a cob and it is stronger than the Mars. I do have the plants 20" away. I think this is just something to do with the Mars light. I am running the 700W. That could make the difference with yours not bleaching and mine bleaching.

OH..... well then. I only have experience and only recommend the 400. I would guess you need to keep it 24-32" away from the 700 :aok:

Also, the Apollo cob is "stronger" but doesn't have the lens angle that those 5w diodes do on the Mars. So it's "stronger" for the straight down penetration ;)

I think I would prefer the Apollo cob over a 700w Mars as well, certainly.

I think i prefer Hps or T5s,,,Leds sound like a big pain in the ace and the wallet.

LOL--weedhopper, they are. Trust me, I am not getting rid of my HPS lights yet. But I am not going to let the LEDs get the best of me, either.

Latest posts

Back