Hermi? seeds? i donno.. need help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleek187

higher than captain kirk
Reaction score
this has me frustrated.. here is the breakdown

i started 2 new strains. Both strains were feminized seeds. both plants are now 2+ months old..

what happened??

i took clones of each mother.. rooted them, veged them, flowered them, together. now every plant is full of seeds.. SO, i looked over every plant from head to toe very closely to try and find any signs of being male. I can NOT find anything on any plant, ether strain, that looks at all like pollen sacks. Each plant has buds and pistils.. SO i am thinking that i have a hermi problem. But i have no idea which strain is the hermi.

ANY ideas on how i could maybe figure out? i know this is a tough question but any help you could give i would be very thankful..

Look closely at the buds you break up, i would say, you'll find the nanners inside the buds. The "flower petals" on the males are usually yellow but not always.

once it goes in a bag or a jar the nanners always end up in the bottom.....just like the seeds...so keep em separate and youll know after a few grabs and a few packed bowls.

dsc03521.jpg

If/when you figure it out bleek..-->http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51527
breeder info' ect. all appreciated :)

I had a closet full of seeded plants one time and never found the nanners, but I know they were there. Like mentioned, sometimes they are in the middle of the buds and quite hard to find.

Where did you get your fem seeds? Strain and breeder?

Bleek187 said:
this has me frustrated.. here is the breakdown

i started 2 new strains. Both strains were feminized seeds. both plants are now 2+ months old..

what happened??

i took clones of each mother.. rooted them, veged them, flowered them, together. now every plant is full of seeds.. SO, i looked over every plant from head to toe very closely to try and find any signs of being male. I can NOT find anything on any plant, ether strain, that looks at all like pollen sacks. Each plant has buds and pistils.. SO i am thinking that i have a hermi problem. But i have no idea which strain is the hermi.

ANY ideas on how i could maybe figure out? i know this is a tough question but any help you could give i would be very thankful..

Also need to know why they hermied....

Well yeah....or was there a serious light leak which caused the hermie, an issue that created stress to the plant at a bad time etc...

Ive had serious light leaks and never had a problem with nanners roddy. Only bud stretch as they get confused on the schedule. A herm is a herm...some just more then others. ;)

Guess I'm not understanding then, wasn't there a bunch of talk about light leaks, stress and other factors that caused hermies? Or am I understanding now that the only way hermies occur is through poor breeding? Do hermies ever happen from regular seed?

Let me show you what a light leak does to a full female.

Pic 1 is a nug that recieved "under the door" light from my mother clone room after 12/12 started. It failed to terminate until I fixed the leak. Zero flowers.

Pic 2 is same strain unaffected.

I wish I took some earlier pics of that nug before i fixed the leak and before it filled in a little. but I wasn't so proud...;) so I didn't snaps pics of it.

Nothing causes hermies except genetics. Just sometimes your grow conditions make the herms more pronounced.

4bebbdb9.jpg

49db87ec.jpg

I believe that it is the interruption of the dark period that causes hermies, rather than light leaks. IMO, light leaks are more likely to cause slower flowering and lighter buds. While stress can contribute to hermies, I can say that the only time I ever had hermies was when I used bagseed "from a bag of really dank stuff". This was probably 8 years ago or so. Since then, it is only known genetics. I don't even take gifted seeds unless I am sure they were created "the right way". I feel genetics plays the biggest part in hermies. And trust me, real life intervenes enough that my plants do go through their fair share of stress. And sometimes (stupidly), I will not realize the time and open the closet door after light out.

real life intervenes enough that my plants do go through their fair share of stress.

I recall reading a thread on here somewhere about 3rd week stress causing hermie issues (mighta been a sticky, can't remember), why I mentioned stress!

THANKS for the answers! :aok:

but....I think it brings me back to where we started, which was knowing what caused them to hermie!

Its just a "roll of the dice", none of my fem WW ever went hermi but my regular BB did both times I tryed to grow it.

Do hermies ever happen from regular seed?*

A quote from Growdude in another thread leaves me wondering.....

Roddy said:
real life intervenes enough that my plants do go through their fair share of stress.

I recall reading a thread on here somewhere about 3rd week stress causing hermie issues (mighta been a sticky, can't remember), why I mentioned stress!

but....I think it brings me back to where we started, which was knowing what caused them to hermie!

stress 'can' be the trigger that allows a genetically prone specimen to 'express'.
The amount of stress required 'can' be a reflection of breeding/genetics. Hermaphrodism is a dominate trait in MJ. Without "proper" selective breeding practices, it tends to resurface, and without any selection at all, can totally dominate within a few generations.
I think what OG is saying about his ogk pheno' being a "true female", is that it carries only the YY chromosome possibly. Giving it the inability to hermie without 'chemical' treatment.
The bubba cut that I had, I believe was a 'true female'. In the nearly 12 years that I kept her, she was exposed to about every form and extreme that could possibly be thrown at her, and never once did she falter.

"roll of the dice"... I guess you could call it that. But "IMO" with femmed beans, you're dice may have snake eyes on three sides..;)

I do understand that femmed beans are more prone to hermie, I had also thought I understood it could happen to any bean (reg or femmed), OGK seemed to say differently and I was trying to get that straight...I think you pretty much answered as to whether regs can hermie!

Why I said to find out what caused the hermie...I've not seen a gal (in my experience to date) hermie just because, there's been a reason (I screwed up), and I wanted Bleek to find the "reason" if any!

THANKS Hick, OGK and THG....good info!

roddy.. I do believe that 'true females' are about as rare as hen teeth, but they DO exist, and, IMO, should be more sought after by breeders. ESPECIALLY breeders 'femminising'...;)
When people say "ALL marijuana will herm'" I think that is true. All strains will hermie if allowed to. But.... not "all" plants will. :)

and, IMO, should be more sought after by breeders.

Amen to that!

Roddy said:

Actually, my point was that I believe stress alone is not enough. Even though my girls DO get stressed, I have never had one hermie from stress. The only hermies I ever got came from bagseed that I believe came from a plant that hermied. I don't remember any problems with that grow at all.

LOL, I understood, THG...was just telling why I mentioned it! :aok:

Latest posts

Back