Recommedations for 1:1 strains and high CBD strains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@umbra, I am going to look into this a little more. Do you know much about it?

@HG, Yeah, I figure, if I'm going to check out this CBD thing, I might as well go with something like this. People say you don't get high because there's no THC but every review describes some kind of "high". Either "relaxing" or "equalizing and calming of the psyche" or " just a relaxed calm sense of well being" and almost every review said it was incredible for pain relief.

I live with pain 24/7 from head to toe and, believe me, anything that would relieve my pain the way the reviews describe this CDB stuff would be the best pot high I have ever had. LOL

In line with the thread topic, I put a Med Seeds Continuum in the dirt today. SuzyQ (50:1) x Tocitonic (20:1).

I'll report back in about 4 months. LOL One thing about this hobby.... it teaches you patience. LOL

I am more interested in the high CBD, low/no THC for family and friends that are sensitive to THC. LOL--for myself, I am happy with something that is 1:1--I do like my THC.

Have you checked out hemp products? From what I have read some of the hemp has higher CBD levels with no THC. You might want to check out that thread at mjp about growing hemp in Oregon. It had a lot of general info on hemp that I was not aware of.

I bought a gram of “ Ringo’s Gift” a couple weeks ago, tested at 20:1. First roll I smoked half a joint and very little high but very relaxing. Not so great tasting though. Second joint got me a little high but not bad. I think I’d like to find something at about 5:1 and see how that is. I’m hoping that’ll be my Harlequin.

Have you checked out hemp products? From what I have read some of the hemp has higher CBD levels with no THC. You might want to check out that thread at mjp about growing hemp in Oregon. It had a lot of general info on hemp that I was not aware of.

OMG!! What an amazing thread. I have a couple more pages but what a great source. One thing that was discussed in that thread relating to early finishers was this post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley_Danks
It always concerned me that factors like root restriction, different mediums, nutrients, light spectrum, environment, or other unknown factors could skew the results. It will be real interesting to see if your results indoors parallels your results outdoors this year!! Good luck

Totally agree with all you wrote Bradley--the only true test will happen in the field next season. The first issue is (to me) the most important, since root restriction plays such a critical role in the flowering process. I'm transplanting the test plants from 3 gallon pots into 10 gallons to start, which I hope will reduce the impact of that variable. Time will tell!
We believe in what we are doing enough to have planned the drying of 60 acres according to the photoperiod sensitivity we ascribe to these lines and a colleague has committed to 150 acres for the same reason...definitely hope we are right! Hell of an experiment either way https://www.mjp.com/ic/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Am I to understand that root restriction has some effect on the duration of the flowering cycle?

If so, can we shorten our flowering time with smaller pots. Do Hushpuppy's 1 gallon grows mature more quickly that the peeps growing in 5 gallon pots?

Great thread. Thanks for the tip HG.

Here's a link for anyone who's interested... https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330712

I was working on a CBD/THC cross here myself, but I got into it with hemp seed suppliers that refused to sell me seeds knowing that I was crossing them with "marijuana" (oh my gawd! Not Mary Juana!). I decided that there was no point in trying to re-invent the wheel, so I searched for some landraces that already have high CBD to THC ratios, and located two sources of Lebanese landrace strain seeds originating from the Bekaa Valley area (RSC in the UK and Blue Hemp in Switzerland). I obtained several through friends in Europe and grew them here this year, and whallah! Far better then expected results. They make this weed into hashish in Lebanon, but the buds taste just fine as they are. Lemon and floral notes. They are also low odor growing outside. Also the high is mellow and... drumroll Anton.... it reduces my migraine headaches, and aborts the milder ones completely. No couch lock or narco sleepy result. Day weed. The seeds resulted in two phenos, as advertised, a sativa and an indica. They are both similar in high, but the sativa matured a month earlier than the indica phenos (great for avoiding early September rains in Oregon). I made two crosses, a sativa male with one sativa female and one indica female. Seed production was very good.

BTW, I have tried a dozen or so CBD only and another half dozen CBD/THC crosses, and none of them come near the results of landrace Lebanese on migraines. For pain, yes, for migraines, no. I have severe back and neck pain, and I get migraines.

Aren't some of those hemp growers weird about "marijuana"? It cracks me up. Your experiments sound really interesting. Curious how the sativa dominant matured earlier. I think the future is going to see a lot more strains with high CBD content.

Hackerman, that is a thread that I plan on reading again. A lot of really cool info. If I had 5 acres or so, I would give hemp a go.

I figured I had 10 of these seeds so I put 2 more in soil. A couple days later....

I just love watching them sprout from seed. Something different about it than watching a clone root. LOL

Hopefully, my mite problem will be over before I get these into cloning stage.

View attachment cbd.jpg

Well, she has come a long way since that last shot.

Very healthy. 2 phenos are very nice. The third is a little stretchy and thin.

I will use the best one for clones and I'll flower the other 2 with my next batch of lemon OG just to get a taste of what's to come.

Some time between now and then, I need to purchase/build a method of testing potency. All this CBD experimentation is for naught without a method to determine just how much CBD I am consuming. At this point, the only real affordable and still accurate method is Fourier Transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR spectroscopy). Maybe Santa will bring me something. LOL

Anyway, a little update on the CBD plants.

View attachment medtree-2.jpg

View attachment medtree-3.jpg

View attachment medtree-1.jpg

Thanks, the LemonOG finally made it out of the solo cups and into nursery pots. I was running late on everything (as usual). I woke up with a miserable flu on Sunday I had a million things to do this week. Harvest the Cindy, kill mites, re-plant this, cure and jar that.

What a week. LOL

Now, naturally, Mrs Hackerman has it too. :(

Here's an update shot.

A couple weeks in the #1 nursery pots and I'll transplant again to a #3 pot and put them to flower.

That will give me 10 weeks to clone and veg the MedTree mother.

I have been reading more than a few posts that recommend early harvest of high CBD strains for maximum CBD. Up to 2 weeks earlier than higher THC strains.

Any comments on that from anyone?

View attachment 12-16-2017.jpg

Looking good Hackerman!

I have read/heard that too about harvesting earlier for higher CBD content, but I cannot remember where I read it. If it is affordable, you could test 2 samples from the same plant harvested at different times.

I have not heard that, but I would still go by the trichomes unless someone can show me evidence of early cbd amounts. Wonder why that would be.
I have a friend that had a high thc plant bred to a high cbd and it tested NO CBD. Some ideas have been that it wasn't really a high cbd clone like she thought. Has anyone heard of that?

Sorry you had the flu, we had it and it sucked. Get well Mrs Hack.

I’ve noticed that a lot of seed sites have stopped posting cbd %, there seems to be such variation from claimed %. Perhaps due to growing conditions. I’ve also read many conflicting stories about harvesting early or late... lotta research needs to be done I suppose. Growers have been pushing up the thc for a lotta years but only somewhat recently have they been growing meds.

CBD being an early maturing cannabinoid makes sense from a logical point of view.

Equatorial cannabis is naturally higher in THC and lower in CBD than it's counterparts.... hemp, which is historically located in the Northern climates. In their natural habitat, the high cbd hemp of the Northern latitudes would definitely have to mature earlier to beat the Winter.

So, if Mother Nature does as she always does and makes her children all perfect... the high cbd plant we call hemp, placed here in the Nothern lats by Mother herself would be at it's peak much earlier than the equatorial stuff she placed in Mex and SA.

Make sense?

Well, these mothers got cloned and went into flower today. We should have our first taste by about March 1st.

I am going to let the Lemon OG go a couple more weeks in veg before I add them to the flower room.

So, the countdown begins. LOL

I am curious all about this CBD thing. And, now there are so many discoveries pertaining to the contents of a cannabis plant.

Here is a pretty recent chart showing all the stuff in a canna plant. Pretty neat. I guess we never gave much thought to the sugars and acids and proteins and enzymes. This is quite a chart....

http://thealchemistresource.thealchemistresource.com/p/normal-0-false-false-false_20.html

There has even been some talk about making a 'safe' cigarette from hemp.

I have 3 phenos going. Funny, one of them is a little stretchy and more like a hemp plant. In past, I may not have even cloned this one because of those undesirable traits. However, if I'm looking for higher CBD, I probably want a plant that display's hemp characteristics over the inbred short and compact plants that we have mostly sought for years. LMAO

Full circle.

Not even sure why I'm bothering. I should just pop over to Nebraska and pick some wild hemp. Stuff used to grow all over along the Blues River. We burned it in our campfires just for kicks. LOL Now, it's in demand.

Full circle.

Look at this ditchweed go..... LOL Stuff grows like wild hemp. LOL

Each 1 second frame is 1 day. So, you're seeing about 10 days. Not the first 10 days. Started about 1 week into flower. That thing stretched 2 feet in 10 days. LOL

The other plants (Lemon OG) look like they are standing still. LOL

The domes just came off the clones and they are looking nice.

I should have my first taste of the mothers about the first of March. I am going to harvest in 3 stages. 8 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks. Then, I'll test each for potency and try to determine the best harvest time for the clones. The clone crop should yield about 2 pounds of 3 different phenos.

Better get the label maker out. Going to have to keep track of this stuff. LOL

Here's a quick gif of the 10 days of Med Tree Continuum.....

View attachment MedTree1.gif

Latest posts

Back