Old Fogeys first ever legal grow journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
Hey all. I am a Massachusetts resident and as of 12/15 of this year, it is legal for me to grow some doobage. i sowed some seeds yesterday afternoon.

I grow in soil. i have used Roots Organics Green Lite in th past and liked it so that is what I am using this time as well. I was an idiot my last 2 grows and used some 'organic' soil from Miracle Grow which is kind of like an oxymoron. Never had spider mites before but those grows were plagued by the plague.

So I have 10 4 inch pots with Green Lite in them on a heating pad set to low with a couple of 24 watt CFL bulbs added for light and warmth.

i got my seeds from The Attitude. Had good luck with them the first time and they did not disappoint this time. Chose the stealth option both times. This time I thought that my seeds had been snatched by customs but it turns out that the stealth shipping is pretty stealthy and I found them after looking harder. This is what I sowed:

1 Blim Burn Green Crack fem freebie
1 Dinafem Original Amnesia fem freebie
3 CBD Nordle Fems
5 Mandala Satori Regs

I am purchasing new gear for this grow. I vacillate back and forth between a King LED 1200 watt fixture and a new CMH 315 to 400 watt fixture. The CMH fixture that is comparable in price has some reviews that are discouraging me from that choice. And temps could be an issue as well. I have a 3x3x 73 inch tent in my Amazon shopping cart but I have time to decide on that stuff.

My past grows have been in a mothers tent using T5's from start to finish so this is going to be a new experience. I have been happy(as have my kids and everyone else I have shared with) with both my quality and quantity but I want to see what I get by upping my game.

Since I am really skilled at making poor decisions, I will probably be changing up my nutes too. Unscientific method dictates that you change a bunch of things and wonder why everything is so messed up and with so many variables changed, you have no idea what was the screw up...

This will probably be a shining example of how not to do things so I hope others can learn from the mistakes I will be making.

View attachment IMG_2608.jpg

I'm definitely going to stick around and watch this it should be good nothing feels better than your first legal grow I just got to start cutting mine down the last couple days it felt great do you have no worries that some unwanted guests are going to come through the door :48:

i am still wary of someone breaking in to the house to steal the plants but at least i am not going to go to jail for growing a plant which is the most ridiculous thing ever...

i am still wary of someone breaking in to the house to steal the plants but at least i am not going to go to jail for growing a plant which is the most ridiculous thing ever...

I will have to agree with you I sleep pretty light these days but then again as long as no one but you guys know they're there I really don't have too much to worry about :48:

i have an american bulldog that barks when the wind blows so nobody is getting into my house without me knowing but my sons have friends over that i worry about sometimes...

Old Fogey!! Woo hoo dude! Happy for you. I still worry sometimes after all these years of being legal, well pretty legal.. So glad you doing a journal.. Let's get this party started.

Congrats on being legal! It is so nice to not worry all the time. I see you are starting 10 seeds...how many plants can you grow in Mass?

thanks. we can grow up to 12 in a household. i am not counting on having all 10 being keepers. the satoris are regular seeds so i might not get any females. i have grown 4 plants in an 8 square foot tent and it was pretty darn cramped. probably wouldn't be able to fit all 10 anyway in my new 9 sq ft tent...

i bit the bullet this morning and bought a 3x3x72" tent and a 1200 watt king led lamp. they are supposed to get here next week. put a thermometer in the germination area i have set up and it is running around 75 deg so i am happy about that.

Looking forward to following along with you! You have a great selection of seeds. Are you going to be vegging with the LED or going to keep the T5s for veg?

thanks. rose recommended the nordle and the satori since i wanted a high cbd strain and also a more sativa oriented strain than i have been growing. the others were freebies so i can't take any credit for that. the t5's to be safe. i have had good luck with the fixture and like how compact my plants have always been going into flower. going to 'harden off' the plants towards the end of veg like i would my vegetable plants before planting outside. don't want to shock them.

Congratulations! Must be a great feeling to be legal. Wish you the best on your grow.

Congratulations! Must be a great feeling to be legal. Wish you the best on your grow.

am from ma. also... got my caregivers lic. a few years back. my wife as well. its not hard to get and yes am very comfortable with weed since. alota states medical now... hey og, need anything give me a shout..

Thanks g-hopper and bombbud. I am out of town but the youn fogeys tell me I have 8 sprouts so far. Pics Wednesday

10 for 10 popped. i was out of town so they got a bit stretchy. going to put together the new tent when it comes and give these some real light later today...

View attachment IMG_2632[1].jpg

Good luck OF.

thx lesso. i hope i don't need luck 'cause my luck is generally bad luck.

i set up the new tent and put the younglings in there. i am running a 2 bulb 4 foot t5 lamp with 10000 kelvin bulbs. i have the new 1200 watt(equivalent) king led fixture in the tent because i am ocd and needed to see what it would look like. i am going to slowly introduce the sprouts to it because IT IS NUCLEAR BOMB BRIGHT! i think i need my wayfarers on (thanks don henley)when that light it lit. my eyes hurt in the same room as that light and i have not even looked directly at it. thx to hamster lewis for recommending that. that is a lot of light for a little cash.

sorry for the rotation. i tried rotating it using paint and regardless of what i do, it comes out sideways

View attachment IMG_2636[1].jpg

View attachment IMG_2638.jpg

Aww congrats on the new babies. You need to spend the money and get led protective glasses. seriously.
You make me laugh all the time. thank you. I hope you don't need luck either.

Thanks Rose. I didn't know LED glasses were a thing. I was using my sunglasses (sometimes) when I was gardening in my tent when I had uv t5 bulbs. They hurt my eyes. Mrs Fogey I am sure would say the same thing about protective lenses. Just ordered a pair. I am not running the light yet. I was curios to see the light so to speak.

Those glasses are cool, you can take pictures thru them without turning off your leds. I am glad you got some.

Latest posts

Back