Nute Study

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jmansweed said:
Hey, Micro should be used with the Catalyst for sure, sorry if I confused you. It's strong stuff so only 5 ml per gallon is fine. The Cat should start at 5 ml but gradually increase over the cycle to about 10 ml

OK, that was my problem then. Thanks for clearing that up

One more question, if you don't mind......I've been adding about 5ml of bloom and grow so far. I'll adjust the grow if needed but is the bloom amount ok? I'm about 32 days in right now.
First time with Northern Lights and only my second grow to boot. Just wondering what amounts you use of bloom when you get into flowering.
Thanks for your help
CB

I'm working on posting the various schedules - I'm not real computer savy. Grow and Bloom should be mixed through-out much of the flowering cycle. Increase both until you max out at 10 ml of each solution, then increase Bloom only and maintain the grow at 10 ml. Late flowering in my schedule gets about 10 ml Grow - 20 ml Bloom - 10 ml Cat. The 5 ml Micro remains the same through-out. I also add Hi-Brix Mollases these days and it works wonders. Remember my numbers are based on very little soil nutreints. It's all solubles. I'll have an easy to understand schedule up tonight.

Great post JMan!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

WOW Jman!!! incredible study...I'm really impressed, and Thank you for forcing me to re-think my entire way of doing things. When I started doing the indoor growing, I was so close to choosing earth juice for being organic, and opted for the Foxfarm, basically because it was a little bit cheaper. I'm by no means going to throw the ff out the window, but I will definately be re-thinking things. General Organics sent many of us free samples, as I'm sure your aware, and I have been excited to run side by sides, such as yours only on a smaller scale, with my current feeding. Thank you so much for takeing the time to not only do the study, but for sharing your results with us! I'm sure I will be asking you many questions in the near future.
One question, Since I have both the full foxfarm line up, and the full GO line up, would I benefit from mixing the 2 in any kind of feeding schedule, maybe one picking up where the other is weak? Or would they be best to run one product line by itself? Again Thank You very much for your time!

OH Yeah...is there anyway we can get this as a sticky??? I mean there was alot of work involved here...I would hate for this info to get lost in the vastness of other, not so informative , posts. I think anyone who reads it would benefit something, from the newest to the veteran growers. I for one have always wondered if I missed experimental side by side test reports in some of the magazines.

Hey Legalize, Don't let my thread deter you from Foxfarm. I can't deny some herb I've seen grown under their schedule. I just prefer organics, they taste better, smoke better and are healthier in every sense. Mixing nutes can get iffy. Over fertilization is easy at times when working with two unrelated solutions. Big Bloom is a solid edition however, and could be used in small amounts with the GO line to help and promote early microbial life. The GO line is great man, I'll try and post my adjusted schedule soon. My suggestion though is to try GO on it's own. I'm not sure how to get this posted as a "sticky" but would be stoked if it was more available. thanks.......best of luck

great study Jman.:) great read also. just finished bro. i see alot of new growers not knowing what to use, and buy a ton of crap, and have really no clue what thier feeding. i think it's crazy to be using 9, or 10 different feeds at once...hey, to each his own...i prefer the KISS solution. i do admit to straying once in awhile, if only for the knowledge of saying i tried it once, and usually this is with a bloom nute...

i'll go off the trodden track sometimes to try a new bloom inhibitor. as right now, i'm trying a new feed 6 weeks in called Super Bloom. it's #'s are something like 9-55-6... i've used GH's 2 part flora nova so long now. i feel i'm missing something during my bloom period. the only additive i've ever used is molasses...

anyway, this should be made a sticky. great job Jman. keep up the great work over there brother...

wow, thank you so much for your Hard work and sharing it.

Best Wishes
"P"

legalize_freedom said:
WOW Jman!!! incredible study...I'm really impressed, and Thank you for forcing me to re-think my entire way of doing things.

OH Yeah...is there anyway we can get this as a sticky??? I mean there was alot of work involved here...I would hate for this info to get lost in the vastness of other, not so informative , posts. I think anyone who reads it would benefit something, from the newest to the veteran growers. I for one have always wondered if I missed experimental side by side test reports in some of the magazines.
:yeahthat: :yeahthat: :yeahthat:

This for sure should be a sticky.

I've made my own pretty much organic soilless mix for years and then promptly douched it with chemical fertilizers. What a idiot I am!

Things have changed though and the chems are going away.:D

I agree with Irish. So many newbs, if company A makes 15 different products, buy all 15 and don't rest easy until all 15 are dumped on the poor plants.:rolleyes: Then we see the 'HELP! I'VE TOASTED MY BABIES' threads.:p

KISS for sure, and organics for certain!

DD

Hey when are we going to get to see the schedules and the other info you spoke of?...I'm not trying to be pushy, I know you spent alot of time compiling this much information...just curious, because I'm very interested! Glad to see that this study was made a sticky! Again thanks for taking the time to report it!

this was a great read jman... I'm glad the mods stickied this one so that all of us can find it. Appreciate all of the time that you put into this!

jman thanks for the hard work & dedication! especially like that you ran GO line being relatively new & all. plus many ppl are getting in on their give away. me included.

Well I'm impressed. Thats a lot of work. All the organic guys are coming out of the woodwork for this post, lol. Nice job.:D

My mouth waters when I read posts like this...someone with knowledge

has done some wonderful work that everyone else can benefit from....

You have given us all the gift of two of the most precious things...time

and money..by doing all this work and sharing it with us..

thx dude...

BTW...what are your thoughts about how this applies to a hydro grow?..

Here are the schedules I used and the final Earthjuice schedule I use today as a result of this test. I also included a cost per cycle. I broke each solution into $ per ml and did the math. This could vary if you get better deals on nutes of course but they apply in this test. There is no included schedule for Advanced Nutrients or Bio Canna as I used the manufacturers recommendations.

Test 1 = Earthjuice full line :

$30.50 per cycle or $0.04 per gram produced
-------------Catalyst--------Micro---------Grow---------Bloom-------Meta K

week1 veg-----5ml----------5ml-----------5ml
week2 veg----10ml----------5ml-----------5ml
week3 veg----10ml----------5ml-----------10ml
week4 veg----10ml----------5ml-----------10ml
week5 flower--10ml----------5ml-----------10ml-----------5ml---------2.5ml
week6 flower--10ml----------5ml-----------10ml---------10ml----------2.5ml
week7 flower--10ml----------5ml-----------10ml---------10ml---------2.5ml
week8 flower--5ml-----------5ml-----------15ml---------15ml---------2.5ml
week9 flower--5ml-----------5ml-----------15ml--------20ml---------2.5ml
week10flwer----------------5ml-----------10ml-------- 25ml---------2.5ml
week11flwr-----------------5ml------------------------20ml
week12 FLUSH

Repeat week 3 for veg or 10 for flower extension

Test 2 = Marine Based Nutes :

$34.00 per cycle or $0.05 per gram produced

(I recommend a bloom booster for the following cycle)

---------------Alaska Fish----------N. H.-----N. H. fish--------N. H. Seawd--------N. H.
---------------Fertilizer----------Fish Fert---+Seawd--------------------------Crab Shell

week1veg-------2.5ml-------------------------------------------1.5ml
week2veg-------2.5ml-------------------------------------------1.5ml
week3veg-------2.5ml-------------------------2.5ml
week4 veg------5.0ml
week5flwr-------------------------------------------------------2.5ml
week6flwr-------2.5ml---------------5ml
week7flwr---------------------------7.5ml-----------------------2.5ml
week8flwr---------------------------10ml------------------------2.5ml
week9flwr---------------------------10ml------------------------2.5ml
week10flwr------------------------------------10ml
week11flwr------------------------------------10ml
week12------------FLUSH

Repeat week 4 for veg or week 10 for flower extension

Test 3 = Earth Juice/ Marine based nutes

$17.50 per cycle or $0.03 per gram produced

---------------Alaska--------N.H.Fish-----N.H.---E.J. Bloom--E.J. Cat----E.J. Micro
--------------Fish Fert--------Fert------Seawd

week1veg------2.5ml----------------------------------------2.5ml-------2.5ml
week2veg------2.5ml----------------------------------------5.0ml-------2.5ml
week3veg------2.5 ml-------2.5ml---------------------------5.0ml-------2.5ml
week4veg------5.0ml----------------------------------------5.0ml-------2.5ml
week5flwr-------------------5.0ml-------2.5ml---------------5.0ml-------2.5ml
week6flwr-------------------7.5ml-------2.5ml---------------5.0ml-------2.5ml
week7flwr-------------------5.0ml-------2.5ml------5.0ml----5.0ml-------2.5ml
week8flwr-------------------5.0ml------------------10ml-----10.0ml------5.0ml
week9flwr-------------------5.0ml------------------15ml-----10.0ml------5.0ml
week10flwr------------------5.0ml------------------15ml-----10.0ml
week11------------FLUSH

repeat week 4 for veg and week 10 for flwr extension

Test 4 Foxfarm full line

$49.00 per cycle or $0.07 per gram produced ( $0.04 per gram without additional solubles)

---------------Grow Big---Tiger Bloom--Big Bloom--Open Sesame--Beastie Bloom-Cha Ching

week1veg-------------------------------15ml
week2veg-------------------------------20ml
week3veg-------5ml---------------------20ml
week4veg-------7.5ml-------------------20ml--------1/4tsp
week5flwr-------5ml---------5ml---------------------1/4tsp
week6flwr-------5ml---------7.5ml-------20ml--------1/4tsp
week7flwr-------5ml---------7.5ml-------20ml-----------------------1/4tsp
week8flwr-------5ml---------10ml--------30ml-----------------------1/4tsp
week9flwr-------2.5ml--------10ml--------30ml----------------------------------1/4tsp
week10flwr------2.5ml(opt)---10ml-------20ml----------------------------------1/4tsp
week11flwr-------------------10ml-------20ml----------------------------------1/4tsp
week12flwr-------------------10ml-------20ml----------------------------------1/4tsp
week13--------------FLUSH

repeat week 4 for veg or week 12 for flower extension

EDIT : WEEK 3 should be repeated for extended veg. My apologies (1/27/10) - thanks Legalize Freedom

Test 5 Advanced Nutrients

See the website for application recommendations. I couldn't find the price sheet from this section of research.

Test 6 Dynagro

$17.00 per cycle or $0.03 per gram produced

-----------------Grow-------Bloom--------Protekt

week1veg--------2.5ml--------------------1/8 tsp
week2-4veg------5.0ml--------------------1/4 tsp
week5-7flwr-----------------5.0ml---------1/8 tsp
week8-10flwr----------------7.5ml---------1/8 tsp
week11-------------FLUSH

Repeat week 2 for veg or week 8 for flwr extension

Test 7 Bio-Canna

$128.00 per cycle or $0.17 per gram produced

See Bio-Canna's website for application recommendations.

Test 8 General Organics

$32.00 per cycle or $0.04 per gram produced

------------Bioroot------Grow----CaMag+----Bioweed----Bloom-------Biobud

week1-------5ml---------2.5ml----2.5ml-------2.5ml
week2-------7.5ml-------5.0ml----5.0ml-------2.5ml
week3-------10ml--------7.5ml----5.0ml-------2.5ml
week4-------10ml--------10ml-----5.0ml-------2.5ml
week5flwr----10ml-----------------5.0ml------------------10ml--------2.5ml
week6-------5ml------------------5.0ml-------------------10ml-------2.5ml
week7-------5ml------------------5.0ml-------------------15ml-------2.5ml
week8----------------------------5.0ml-------------------15ml--------2.5ml
week9----------------------------5.0ml-------------------15ml--------2.5ml
week10---------------------------2.5ml-------------------15ml--------2.5ml
week11-------------FLUSH

repeat week 4 for veg or week 10 for flwr extension

FINAL EARTH JUICE SCHEDULE:

----------Cat-----------Micro---------Grow---------Bloom--------Hi-Brix--------Hygrozyme

1veg------5ml----------5ml------------5ml
2veg------5ml---------5ml------------5ml
3veg------5ml---------5ml-------------5ml----------------------5ml-------------2.5ml
4veg------7.5ml--------5ml------------7.5ml----------------------5ml-------------2.5ml
5flwr------10ml---------5ml------------7.5ml---------5ml-----------5ml-------------2.5ml
6flwr------10ml---------5ml------------10ml--------10ml-----------5ml-------------5.0ml
7flwr------10ml---------5ml------------10ml--------10ml-----------10ml------------5.0ml
8flwr------5.0ml--------5ml------------10ml---------15ml----------10ml------------7.5 ml
9flwr------5.0ml--------5ml------------10+ml--------20ml----------10ml------------5ml
10flwr------------------5ml------------10+ml------20-25ml---------10ml------------2.5ml
11flwr------------------5ml------------------------20ml------------10ml
12flwr-------------FLUSH

Hi-Brix (0-0-3) is made by Earth Juice. It is similar to Black-strap Molasses but contains more plant appropriate amino acids and plant extracts. I love the stuff. This cycle works excellent for me. These days I still use Pro-mix or Sunshine mix #4 for my medium. I add very few nutrients to the soil itself. I'll put a small hand full of worm castings in each 5 gallon pot and some Dolomite. I also add mycorrhiza to the soil at the transplant from 1 to 5 gallon pots. It is included already in the soiless mix however I find benefits from adding it non the less. Remember my schedules are only starting points. Your water supply alone could change results drastically. Earth juice specifically is notoriously poor at blending with RO filtered water. It tends to prefer harder water. I simply leave my tap water out for a few days and try to bubble air through it for 24 hours prior to mixing anything. I also pre-mix my grow separately and then add it to the solution - it can be fairly solid sometimes and needs some extra shaking up. The addition of Hi-Brix has been fantastic. Microbial life with this schedule does exceptional and the Hi-brix really helps feed the root zone. You'll notice that my overall application of the primary E.J. nutes was diminished with the addition of Hygrozyme. I think any isolated enzyme product would do.

As far as prices are concerned, I thought the results were interesting. FoxFarm for example is simply not as cheap as every one thinks. With the addition of the solubles it becomes more expensive than the majority of organics. Bio-Canna is expensive! - but the stuff is unique and effective. I also remember Advanced Nutrients being quite pricey but I'll refrain from calling them out until I do the math. I also thought it's interesting that blending Marine nutes with Earth Juice created a real cheap application. Knowing what your feeding your plants not only helps in predictability and successful harvests but can save you money also.

Great info, thank you. When I run out of FF I will try out the Earthjuice.

Thanks for all the great info. we appreiciate you putting in all the time and effort into this!! thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back