First time Auto- newbie questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastyness

Reaction score
Hi all-
I have a grow journal running on this grow- but since I have two of these in the mix this forum seemed the best place to get some advice.

I'm growing Big Band Auto Fem from Kannabia. Bubblegum/Chronic are the roots of the original BB strain. Bought 5 seeds- popped 4 only one made it :( So I figured what the hey- might as well grow the other one. So they are about 14 days apart.

Both went straight to soil after germination 3 gal bucket and 3 gal grow bag since I didn't want to have to move them at all. I used the soak in water method. In garden center soil (no details but seems good) with a little perlite and worm castings and some coco to keep things fluffy. Had the seedling mix around them while they were little babies, so they got off to a good start.

They are doing well and have had a few organic teas and one dose of a mild, mild bloom nutes (1/4 strength). (First feeding)

I'm not seeing any sex on the older one and it is 31 days old. Shouldn't it be showing by now.

They are under 24 hr light 600W bulb because I have a bunch of stuff vegging and I need the lights on to keep the temperature up. If I'm going to use 600W I prefer to get more light than simply use a space heater.

PH soil: 7ish (using a meter you stick in the dirt and not sure how accurate it is)
Temp: 74 deg. / RH 49%
Oscillating fan going most of the time.
Has about 6 nodes and lots of secondary growth. Though they are getting that extra growth nob off the stem to the branch.
Timeline on this said: flowering time 8-9 weeks
Any ideas would be most welcome.

This wasn't my first pick I selected a different strain originally with a shorter finishing time (speed was my main criteria for this particular grow) but this was subbed since they were out of what I wanted. So I'm kind of playing it by ear.
~T~

The 31 day old one should have been showing for a good 10 days.
Might not have carried the auto gene through to it. It happens.

got any pictures?
could just be unstable genetics, not fully auto or super autos take a bit longer to sex i think and they have a longer veg period.
20/4 or 18/6 is usually recommended for autos might be worth a shot to see if some pistils show up.

Here are pics.
The one in the grow bag is BBA1 (Big Band Auto)
The one in the purple bucket is BBA2
Started 14 days apart or so (memory- have to check my records)

IMG_8478.JPG

IMG_8544.JPG

IMG_8554.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

They both showed yesterday! Girls. Which I was kind of counting on since they are supposed to be fem seeds ;)

What impact will going to 12/12 have on them when I flip my room?

tastyness said:
What impact will going to 12/12 have on them when I flip my room?

IMO 12-12 is not a good idea with autos....will hurt your yield for sure.

HM- thanks for the advice. Not sure how I'll handle that yet. Limited to one space now and my timing has been off on this grow.
Do you think I could get away with surrounding them with CFL's during the dark period for my regular room?

Oh- and I would love to be in the tent club... PM'd you but never heard back.

tastyness said:
HM- thanks for the advice. Not sure how I'll handle that yet. Limited to one space now and my timing has been off on this grow.
Do you think I could get away with surrounding them with CFL's during the dark period for my regular room?

Oh- and I would love to be in the tent club... PM'd you but never heard back.

Let's see if some people who hve had to run them 12-12 chime in...I don't know how badly it wld hurt the yield but I know it wld be less then optimal since most autos are run on 20-4 or 24-0. I will check the Tent Growers sign up thingy. I can't get to the proper screen on my Ipad which is what I am on most of the time. I will check tonight on my pc.

I just approved ya tasty....welcome aboard the TGC. If you hve not already posted pics of your set up please do so when you can.

Well the younger one has doubled in size in the past 3 days (got it's first feeding at 15 days). Seeing lots of wispy little clusters starting to appear on the ends of the branches. She's almost as big as her older sister :D

your autos look great I have some right now. 2 are tiny-- a biodesiel and speed showing female and a tundra which is about 30 days old big and also female. i have been running light 24

growNM said:
your autos look great I have some right now. 2 are tiny-- a biodesiel and speed showing female and a tundra which is about 30 days old big and also female. i have been running light 24

Yeah something I found out growing autos is how drastically different they can be. You cld pop 5 beans of the same strain and get 2 runts, 2 that were okay and one beauty.

crazy after this grow I think ill stick with nonautos lookning forward to trying cloning

Here are the big band autos.
Younger girls in now taller- lots more stretching with that one than the other.
As Hammy said - you never know how they are going to turn out.

This will be the first smoke out of the tent- however when I flip tent later this week, these girls will have to go somewhere else to get enough light.

IMG_9455.JPG

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

So I was wondering about my autos and finally found this on the web site. I wondered why in the description I found online and at attitude seeds they said these "autos" have a photo period.
Has anyone here grown anything from Kannabia? They call these AUTO-MAX vs. the regular AUTO's that they sell.

hxxp://www.kannabia.es/en/growing-tips
Our main goal was to create a variety that would give excellent results outdoors. And our trials have backed this up. The plants are large, with fairly big, compact buds. The rudelaris gene is manifest, and the plants flower and finish over a period when standard plants are just beginning to flower. KANNABIA SEEDS RECOMMENDS OUTDOOR USE ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY.

To see the results of these trials for yourself, contact us at XXX and ask us for a dossier.
Since some people prefer to do their growing indoors, our trials have shown that these plants develop best if you:

Use no larger than five-litre plant pots.
Use a photoperiod of 12-14-16 hours of light for faster results (OUR BEST RESULTS WERE OBTAINED WITH 12/12 and 14/10 PHOTOPERIODS). If you leave it at 18 hours, you will have to stop feeding with growth fertiliser after two weeks and force the plant to flower, leaving it in darkness for 24–48 hours and then resuming the photoperiod.
In any case, WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING OUR AUTO-FLOWERING VARIETIES WITH PHOTOPERIODS OF OVER 16 HOURS, AS THE PLANTS WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO END THE PROCESS, TENDING TO GROW TO A HUGE SIZE AND RISKING GROWING BEYOND THE GROWER’S CONTROL.

Use high-pressure sodium lamps.
Good results can also be obtained by switching from a longer photoperiod to a shorter one (for example, reducing from 20 hours to 12–14 hours to stimulate flowering and accelerate the process).

This is the strain I have two of:
hxxp://www.kannabia.es/en/productseeds/big-band-max-auto
Any comments? Ideas?

Whatever they are- they look healthy. The younger one is taller and more spindly. Older one is quite bushy on the bottom. Both are very healthy and about 30" tall. They are generating lots of bud sites each day. Have no idea how they are going to turn out but having fun watching them go.

A IMG_0060.JPG

A IMG_0065.JPG

A IMG_0090.JPG

A IMG_9966.JPG

So these should be ready in about a month. Really did turn into monsters.
The young one is 38" and the other is 34".
Would love to LST the top but everyone says leave autos alone. If it gets much taller I'm going to have to take action.
COLA:

IMG_0399.JPG
Tons of these little flower/bud site popping up EVERY WHERE.

IMG_0401.JPG

Latest posts

Back