Pollinating an auto with a regular?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeaholic

PASS IT THIS WAY
Reaction score
I have recently met someone who said they have The Void pollen and offered to sacrifice some once I get my grow going he is curious what the outcome will be with auto. I was curious too could i mix that with an auto and still get autos out of it?

If you cross an auto with a photo, some of the seeds will carry the auto trait fully, and some will not carry it at all. And many will carry it partially, giving you weird, mixed results. Then out of all the seeds that produce autos, some will be nearly identical to the auto mother, while some are nearly identical to the void male, and many will be variations of the 2. Its the nature of genetic crossing.

If you want to create an auto-void cross that stays auto, you would have to do a series of rebreeds with the offspring and parents to narrow down the possible traits to get the auto trait and the void genetics. You could get lucky with some of them to work out like you want them but if you then don't breed those correctly, their offspring may produce none of the traits that you want. It takes years of growing and breeding 100s of plants to chase down that single strain that is exactly or very close to what you want.

Not trying to discourage you. :) I just want you to know what is involved, and I've only just scratched the surface. Do some serious reading before you do any breeding :doh: no I'm not really a poet. :)

I would say that you need to get at least a few grows under your belt before you even consider breeding. Like hush explains, there is far more to breeding than simply putting a male and a female together. Even after decades of growing, this is something I generally leave to professional breeders.

Autos are not 100% ruderalis, so the chances of getting a true auto from an auto and a non-auto would be slim. I image that the vast majority of the seeds would not auto. Even some of the seeds they sell as autos need to have the light hours reduced to flower. I am not sure if I see any value to breeding an auto and a non auto.

Why not just cross with a short bushy idica? That way your not dealing with Ditch Weed in any form.

Idk autos just seem to intrigue me as you can just throw them on, but what bushy indica would you recommend to get for a beginner and how long does pollen last. He has had it for 4 months he said.

There are thousands of great strains out there that breeders have taken years to develop and stabilize. Pick one and get some grows under your belt. Figure out what you like and how you want to grow. I wouldn't even be considering breeding at this point. If you are hoping to get autos, you will most likely be sorely disappointed. Every seed will be a crap shoot. If you want to grow autos, look for and buy a good stable strain and give it a go. I am not a fan of autos, but some folks love them (mostly people who have never grown photoperiod plants). I didn't quite understand this though "...autos just seem to intrigue me as you can just throw them on."? If you want to grow photoperiod plants, then grow those and learn to clone. Forget about breeding until at least you have a few grows under your belt. There is a big learning curve to this. So far we have only talked about your lighting and see how many posts that has taken. We also have ventilation, pots, medium, method of growing, nutrients, pH, PPMs, etc, etc. Cannabis can be finicky there is a learning curve to this hobby.

I was told on another site that an auto pollenated with a non auto will produce around 80% auto seeds, I assume if it were a non auto pollenated with an auto male the the% would be reversed.

There are too many variables there to be able to predict the percent of autos produced for all breedings, based solely on a auto x photo breeding. You will have to know your statistics and you would have to know the full genetic/pheno lineage for both plants being crossed, back 2 generations. You really have to do your homework if you want it to come out right, otherwise you are sort of wasting your time (and money)on something that may or may not work out. JMO

I was told on another site that an auto pollenated with a non auto will produce around 80% auto seeds, I assume if it were a non auto pollenated with an auto male the the% would be reversed.

Sorry, but that is not true. And as plants get chromosomes from both plants, the reverse would also not be true. Plants do not get a larger percentage of their traits from the female. As autos contain as certain percentage of ruderalis and a certain percentage photoperiod genetics, the chances of getting plants with less ruderalis traits and more photoperiod traits is more likely.

Alright yeah knowing how to bread properly seams to be out of my pay grade but i do still want to make femmed seeds which from my readings is fairly easy.

Dont anybody want to let Mother Nature choose thier girls and boys anymore? Lol
Everybody was doing just fine before they started messing with trying to force seeds to go female. I personally have always had a very good female to male ratio when germinating beans. It was part of the waiting and anticipation. Yall just taking the fun outta waitng for a baby girl. Shame on you boy haters. Lol

Lol its just modern day morals who wants to let mother nature choose the sex anymore...
Shame on us boy haters how happy would the be with a crowd full of boys crowding up your grow room?

The savagery I bet you don't even let them poor boys live a life before you lope them down.

I peal the bark off ofem and makem scream. I pull thier balls off one at a time... Lol

:yeahthat: Weedhopper did you just escape from a California prison?

WH, is ok..i grew an auto once. I grew it beside 4 photo period plants (regular hybrids) they were fun to grow, but that was 7 years ago and I am about to throw the pot away. when you grow a side by side you will never grow an auto again, maybe. maybe not... someone has to like um...

I have only grown 2 varieties of femmed seeds and one was wimpy and the other not..
Anyway listen to these people, they taught me how to grow serious dank. :~) THG is right this is only a small part of the learning curve, but your here and have good helpers so you got this.

Thanks for the informative and inspirational reply rosebud i will be sure to try and wick up all the information i possibly can during my stay here.

Latest posts

Back