Dear Newbies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Newbies,

I thank ya for being. Grow grow grow, and learn learn learn. Ya learn from experience and from fine people like these here at this forum, and of course in life.

As long as there are new growers always learning, it will never die.

Your friend and fellow believer,

-Mooooooo!

I feel so lucky to have discovered this site! I am still in the research stage myself and am loving all the information and advice. Thank you all for your help, I'm sure it will all come in handy. Hope to report lots more in the near future. Be sure, be safe, and be ready. More later...

im also about four months into growing and would like to learn as much as possible

Hi, all. Old newb here. I did one grow in the early seventies under flourescent tubes. It was okay if you liked smoking leaf - we really didn't know about buds and colas then - Thai Stick was just being passed around. The kid's now raised and openly smokes his own, so I recently started growing again, now that I'm legal! Yep, a card-carryin' doper - I buy 1/8's that bear a sticker telling johnny law to back off. I still haven't got up the nerve to walk into City Hall with a lit joint - but the time's coming. It's a shame we have to have the fiction of medicinal need - when the doctor asked what my medical need was, I looked him in the eye and said "I'm chronically pissed off because pot still ain't legal for anyone who wants it!" Only in California, huh? Legal pot's been too damn long coming - I debated for legalization of marijuana in college back in 1968! Tyrannical laws and idiots in power - we've sure had a lot of that over the years, haven't we?

I'm three weeks into growing some fresh Grandaaddy clones in the bathroom under 12, 30-watt CFL's of specific color-temperatures. The plants sure smell nice throughout the house in the morning! Another week and I'll move them into a 5'x5' grow tent with a 600-watt sodium vapor lamp at 12/12. I've topped them three times - twice cutting and once part-pinching - and I just tied the main branches down to the sides of the buckets to limit height and bush them out. I've also got a single little Kali Mist plant from one of five seeds I tried to germinate two weeks ago. It's about 5" high and has three sets of leaves, and its roots are coming out the bottom of a 4" fiber pot - so I repotted it today into a vented 5-gal bucket with loose organic soil - like the clones have.

I'll take some pictures in a few days (after finals are over) and post them. I built a neat wooden lamp box that contains the 12 CFL's and also contains a computer fan that draws air up and out to keep the temperature from getting too high. The box is adjustable height with a wing-nutted wooden leg on each end and lined with mylar. It works great! I used it on tomatoes last year. We have that West Coast Mediterranian Climate here in Pacifica, so there's really no reliable sunshine for growing tomatoes or cannibula outdoors. And I'd grow outdoors, too, now that I'm legal, if there was anything out there but salt-spitting fog.

I just built a cheap clone machine because I broke a branch off a clone tying it down - so I might as well try to root the poor broken thing! Also, my wife wants to try the cloner out on pirated rose cuttings. We're disappointed with all the hybrid roses cause they don't stink enough - so we're going to keep a pair of clippers on the harley and sneak cuttings into the bags. I'll post on how the cloner works on rose cuttings, eventually.

Enough for now - I just wanted to say hello and respond to the robot message ("Wouldn't you like to introduce yourself?"). I'm very fond of robot messages when I'm studying. At least it's someone to talk to.

KCToon

I am a newly licensed medical marijuana user and while getting my grow room act together, my major concern is to maximize the pain relief from the marijuana I consume.

From reading a post today I realize I may have erred by getting most my THC from a vaporizer and I intend to get a bong today.

My pain is from the sciatic nerve (maybe) but I've spent the last two years looking for a cure while the severity and area of the pain have steadily progressed. Currently I cannot sit comfortably and the jostling in a car is painful even when lying down. And did I say I get tired of both standing and lying down?

Open to all kinds of advice

sbear

Thanx for the concern.Nopw how about some tips.i have 1 female of some pretty decent skunk and it was doing great...then all of a sudden it looked like the leaves were drying up so now that's not so bad but i take it out when I'm home and put it away at night.Please advise...:watchplant:

I have been growing for about 4 months now, and have LOTS to learn. I just wanted to try and share some insight from somone who is going thru the process of getting setup and growing. The following are some things I've learned along the way...

1) Do your homework! Research grow rooms design, venting, air polishing, grow mediums, fertilizers and lighting setup BEFORE any thing ever goes into the dirt/water. This will keep you from abusing, or wondering if you're abusing your little babies. When you're 100% confident you've got your lighting, and temps under control THEN start. Also, if you're picking a strain from a seedbank, pay attention to the difficulty of the strain. They rate them for a reason!!

2) Don't be too confident. Alot of good advice from experienced growers is to be had here. UTILIZE your resources!! Don't have your feelings hurt if someone tells you you're doing something wrong. They're most likely just trying to help.

3) Keep a calander. It's great to follow fertilizer schedules, but if you smoked a couple fatties with your homies the night before, was it REALLY yesterday, or the day BEFORE?? :stoned:

4) Measure twice, cut once. I would consider this a handyman's hobby, and if you're new to using a tape measure, figure out how it works. You'll save yourself alot of headaches if you go in with a plan. (you should have seen what happened when I built a custom cabinet that ALMOST didn't fit thru the door) ALSO, same goes for NUTES. Just check out my SP / Haze grow to see what happens when you mix nutes after some bong rips...

5) Spend some now, save some later. Good equipment will give you good results. Lighting is PARAMOUNT!! Venting the heat from the lights is also VERY IMPORTANT! Get stuff that works together and you'll save yourself time and money trying to cobble something together. I'm sure it's even more important in hydro setups.

6) Have fun. It's a great little hobby, and if you plan properly I'm sure you'll have a great start to a nice little garden.

"Stay small. Stay secret. Stay safe." ~Puffinafatty[/quote]

It's been about 3 months af growth so far.How long approximately how much longer til it buds?

sbear said:
I am a newly licensed medical marijuana user and while getting my grow room act together, my major concern is to maximize the pain relief from the marijuana I consume.

From reading a post today I realize I may have erred by getting most my THC from a vaporizer and I intend to get a bong today.

My pain is from the sciatic nerve (maybe) but I've spent the last two years looking for a cure while the severity and area of the pain have steadily progressed. Currently I cannot sit comfortably and the jostling in a car is painful even when lying down. And did I say I get tired of both standing and lying down?

Open to all kinds of advice/Ok somehow i'm not doing this right so please remind me tomorrow at my postings and I can tell you what i found works for me...:cool: I have sciatic nerve damage 3 discs in my lower back slammed down bone on bone and found a way to battle most of it.It's still hit and miss depending on what I can afford as opposed to what i need:eek: Takje the time to remind me ok?Sorry but i gotta go now.

W/R
MajickMike:holysheep:

I'm having one hellofa time posting right.Will someone take the time to show me how to do this the right way please?

Beyond the best mattress you can buy for your condition....

I've been smoking a red bud pheno and the sends seem stable. One complaint I tend to have more males but when I count all the test grounds turns out about 50/50 . This is F1 I can't blieve how consistent the smoke is I've been testing it for 18 months to 2 years now. Its the Red Bud pheno came out of 2 diffrent Sk#1 from different areas. 1 male 1 female

Red Bud .. Wait let me just smoke this joint I rolled tightely comacted . If this is not Red Bud.. I smoked it in .. "the day".

excuse me while I go smoke some and verify this.

Wish I could give or sell you guys/gals some but thats illegal

Ok, seriously , just so you know laughter and humour are best things a person can have.

I used to soak blockhead in a bottle of vodka. Serious pain? Longer you soak the bud the better the brew.

Careful 1 shot to start 2 no more than 3.

Depending on the brew.

good looks on alll the info imma try to apply it to my first grow

Man, some of you peeps seem to know your stuff. Although one of you said not to prune? I just did! Damnit. Hope she's ok ; )

The issue of pruning has been debated time and time again. I strongly advise you to do no pruning. There is no need. If leaves are dying, they will go through the natural process and fall off the plant. At that point you can just pick up the dead leaves and discard them. The leaves are where all the magic happens, they are the center for photosynthesis, also when you get near the end of flowering they will dump all of their reserved energy into the bud production. They will go through a yellowing process(it looks horrible but is natural) and then die off. Some people say to cut off leaves that are covering buds so that they can receive more direct light, this is counterproductive though. The leaves are what actually utilize the light, not the buds, the buds themselves do not need to be in direct light. Lastly, when you damage the plant in any way(pruning, topping, pinching) the plant will then need to divert energy to healing itself. While I do like some of the techniques I listed, you can see the growth slow while it heals itself. Topping and pinching serve a purpose so the slowed growth is worth it, but long story short, do not prune.

Thanks Cadlak. So far you are very right. I have 3 and only pruned the 1. Of course I was all gung ho about it and happened to choose the ONE that is clearly budding. It is now 2 inches shorter than the other two but I think it will recover ok. Perhaps not yield as much? I shall see! Appreciate the advice.

seems like an excellent community. glad to be a part :)

Thanks for sharing your experiences benamucc, I'm a first time grower here so this helped me get an idea of what to do before I start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back