DIY COB grow light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bbp will take some pix of peyote purple x dc under the spydrx led, seriously fat leaves

As you can see from this professionally made instructional pic I have negative(black) from one chip going to the positive(red) of another chip, then the negative from that chip to the positive of the next chip and so on. You'll be left with a negative lead and a positive lead at the the opposite ends of the led string. Positive goes to the positive(red) on the driver, negative to the negative(black).

The white wires are for your potentiometer.

View attachment 2017-12-08 13.32.06.jpg

View attachment 2017-12-08 03.20.12.jpg

Most of the time your AC input wires are blue (N) and brown (L). These are the wires that you connect your power supply to. Sometimes they can be white (N) and black (L) and just to be super confusing sometimes they're both white, which is the case with my driver.

Just keep in mind white and blue go together and black and brown go together.

If at any point you'd like detailed pics just ask.

View attachment 2017-12-08 03.21.20.jpg

Here's the 110v ac piug I used for a power supply. Blue wire to the N, brown to the L. If you have black and white wires in your plug then white to N, black to L. If you wire these backwards you'll burn up your driver.

View attachment 2017-12-08 03.23.41.jpg

I used these to connect everything to make all the parts detachable. You should put your L and positive wires on the positive side unlike me who wI red them backwards for the pic. So red to positive on output side, black or brown(L) to positive on the input side and black to negative on the output, white or blue (N) to negative on the input side.

View attachment 2017-12-08 03.23.07.jpg

If I wasnt clear enough or you have any questions or want more pics of a certain process just ask.

Switched out drivers and connected a triac dimmer with a remote. Now, I can remotely dim, turn on/off, set at 25, 50, 75 and 100% and make my own presets. I can also dim with the knob. Driver is only 300ma which makes my light only 14w on 100%. Not as efficient or effective but cool beans nonetheless.

View attachment IMG_2759_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_2761_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_2762_noexif.jpg

View attachment 2017-12-09 02.08.28.jpg

View attachment IMG_2764_noexif.jpg

View attachment IMG_2766_noexif.jpg

In reference to post #45

It maybe more appropriate to have the female connector on the power cord end. As its pictured, it appears the "-" , which is typically the sleeve of the connector, is wired to the line wire. Not good. If it were the female connector it would be a little more protected.

In reference to post #45

It maybe more appropriate to have the female connector on the power cord end. As its pictured, it appears the "-" , which is typically the sleeve of the connector, is wired to the line wire. Not good. If it were the female connector it would be a little more protected.

Check post 46...I explained I had them wired backwards in the pic. I was building and taking pics and screwed up.

thanks for the info. this thread has made me think I can build this too

:48:

I'm not worthy!!!!!!!!!! I will try this one day, where do you obtain all of these goodies ie. lights, sinks, fans, and transformers?

Latest posts

Back