Sunshine Mix 1 + Flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzgig

Reaction score
Alright I think I will set that room up asap and just keep flowering some of these...

I only have sunshine mix 1 currently, will that be sufficient or should I go get sumfin else?

I was not ready to do this! *laughs*

Actually, I wouldn't mind flowering them to harvest without using any extra ferts...just the/A mix and water.
Somewhere I read that there will be a nitrogen deficiency with this mix and I'm seeing evidence of that already (I think?) which...(EDIT: - I somehow trailed off here and will have to re-remember what I was going to say? *laughs*)

I feel a little silly posting this and will be off reading what I can in the mean time (I just feel like the answers are probably right there for me already and I am wasting your time! Sorry about that).

I'm just going to use 2 400's right now for light...

It really depends on how big a growroom yu have, how many plants yu want to grow, how much heat issue yu can handle. I have a good size grow-lab with 2 small rooms (3.5'x3.5') and 1 bigger room (4.5'x6.5'), and 1 larger 6'x8' room that I use for my cloner and veging babies and doing all my work. I started out with the HID vented hoods and digital ballasts, then discovered the T5HO lamps on access discounts.com.:cool: These lamps are the bomb.:cool: Yu can buy them in already setup fixtures or yu can get individual lamp fixtures. I ended up putting the T5s in all my rooms and with the HID hoods. And now run the T5s for the first 2wks of veg then switch on the HID with metal halide bulbs for veg, then switch over to 2700K T5 bulbs and replace the MH bulb with HPS bulb, (for flowering).The T5s don't have to be vented but yu have to vent the HIDs. Even with venting that uses separate air source for the HIDs, I still have to run a 12000btu AC to maintain 80 degrees in my rooms during lights on...If yu want to avoid the heat issues yu can stay with the flourescents. Had I known then what I know now I would be all flourescent.:doh: Can yu tell me yer plan for a grow room? and I can give yu some suggestions.:)

Sorry my post is so...badly written.

I'm wondering if it will be alright to just use this mix #1 for the full growth period from veg-flower-harvest? I don't even know why I mentioned anything else in my post.

How many T5's for a room about 8x10 (ceiling 7' there abouts) do you think?

:eek: That's a lot of space to fill. First yu need to make sure if it is a regular room that the walls and ceiling have reflective covering (mylar, flat white paint, not mirrors or glossy anything as that creates hot spots) I actually use a reflective insulation from Lowes that has hammered mylar on one side. If yu intend to use the whole room for plants then yer talking 80sq feet for veg, yu will need 240,000 lumens to have the 3000 lumen minimum. to have the 5000 lumen minimum for flower yu will need 400,000 lumens. If yu do this with T5 bulbs then yu will need the 4' bulbs that put out 5000 lumens per bulb. That will be 48 T5 4' bulbs for veg and 80 bulbs for flower. That may prove costly for initial setup. yu would either have to get the individual fixtures and build several multi fixture hangers or buy the multi-bulb fixtures which are a bit more expensive. I would have to suggest at this point, unless yu really want to go all flouro, that yu buy 4 vented HID fixtures with the digital ballasts and get 600watt HPS bulbs and 400watt MH bulbs. Go to this website and have a look at all the stuff that they offer. Discount-Hydro.com or HTGSupply.com or (for lights only accessdiscounts.com). have a look at those and see all of the stuff that yu can use and prices. that will give yu a lot of ideas for what yu need to make this more streamlined.:)
Gotta go out just now. I can talk to ya later this evening

Ok (still wondering about the mix and flowering?)

(I'm going to the lighting forum to post more light questions, thank you SO much for your time here HushPuppy)

I'm afraid I don't know what sunshine mix #1 is. I am assuming that it is a nutrient mix, so I have to say that MJ is a very nutrient sensitive plant and is easily over fertilized. Yu really want to use a nute that is more specific to MJ like many of the hydroponics nutes like advanced nutrients, general hydroponics, foxfarms, dutch master, technaflora. yu need something that is not real high in Nitrogen but has a good balance of Phospherous and potassium. A lot of the nutes that yu will see on HTGSupply or discount hydro are set up in 2 and 3 part combinations so that yu can design yer own balance. The companies all provide feeding schedules that give an average dosage and schedule for feeding but yu have to adjust from that as it is just an average (that is usually set up to the hot side). Take a look at the nutrient threads and yu will learn a lot about what and how much to use.

From the SunGro site:

Sunshine Mix #1 / LC1

Mix #1 is, by far, our most versatile formulation expert growers choose for the production of a wide variety of crops.

Available Sizes
Available in 110 cu ft; loosefill totes; 55 cu ft; 3.8 cu ft; 2.8 cu ft loosefill.

Ingredients
Formulated with Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, coarse perlite, starter nutrient charge (with Gypsum), and dolomitic limestone.

Applications
Highly recommended for cutting propagation, bedding and vegetable plants, hanging baskets, pot crops and seed germination.

("pot crops"? hehehe)

Be waste of time all those months and hard work growing something to not push it to it's full potential. I use Sunshine, when it's on sale here. No way your keeping a plant healthy for a few months without some real ferts. You live by a feed store? If so, you can pick some organic ammendments up for cheap.

Hey fizzgig! Check this stuff out. Only can be bought on e-bay. Very affordable. Google their products. Everyone who uses them loves them. Blue Mountain Organics.

hxxp://cgi.ebay.com/Organic-Fertilizer-Combo-Deal-BMO-Super-Plant-Tonic-/250807121409?pt=Fertilizer_Soil_Amendments&hash=item3a6544f601

Just copy and paste in your browser and replace the xx with tt in the hxxp. Good luck!
:48:

Well it wasn't exactly the cost that was keeping me away from wanting to use them...

I will check out that link, thanks Thomas!

(Most everyone tells me to use them so I guess I better! haha)

Fizzgig said:
Well it wasn't exactly the cost that was keeping me away from wanting to use them...

I will check out that link, thanks Thomas!

(Most everyone tells me to use them so I guess I better! haha)
If you grab them up use the super plant tonic and after that you only need half strength of the others. They have made mine very happy. Here is a schedule I found for them. I follow it loosely.

94048.jpg

Fizzgig said:
Sorry my post is so...badly written.

I'm wondering if it will be alright to just use this mix #1 for the full growth period from veg-flower-harvest? I don't even know why I mentioned anything else in my post.

Short answer, yes.

It's a good base mix, but benefits greatly from amending it with other 'stuff' added in and mixed.

Wet

Use your sunshine mix and buy a bottle of veg fertz, and a bottle of flowering fertz. throw a little dolomite lime in the sunmix and your good to go.

dman1234 said:
Use your sunshine mix and buy a bottle of veg fertz, and a bottle of flowering fertz. throw a little dolomite lime in the sunmix and your good to go.

More dolomite lime? Is that so the plants can get more of the ferts in?

Yes it will help stabilize your PH and that will allow the plants to take more fertz in.

Fizzgig said:
More dolomite lime? Is that so the plants can get more of the ferts in?

No, to maintain the pH, and add calcium and mag.

I know it has some in there, the problem is, they don't add enough.

dman knows of what he speaks. +rep

Wet

Ok, excellent! Thanks so much.

I have a friend who wants to give me some of this kelp stuff he has and some urea, anyone have experience with these?

Latest posts

Back