Tall Stalky and Weak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbieluvbug

HERBIE LUVBUD
Reaction score
Whats wrong guys (and gals) do I need to be pinching...?? Also tried to clone a top but been unsuccesful...Do I need to start in a gooey solution b4 putting in potting soil,,so far my top is hanging out in a glass jar of water because it keeps almost dying, help!
herb ie

Hi Herbie,

I can give you a great method of cloning that you may enjoy more than cloning gels or using dirt right away.

Simply take the clone and keep it in a small container of water. Make sure the water level does not go below the bottom the the stem and in about 10 to 14 days (depending on the size of the clone and the strain, you should have roots developing).

This method is almost foolproof. Once roots form, plant in soil. Remember to fertilize about 1/2 strength when they are planted. New roots need ferts to help the plant out.

Good luck

I have tried using just water and have never had success. Do you change the water regularly, like every day to keep up the oxygen?

I find the rockwool cubes soaked and put in a hydro dome works best for me. Also if I let the rockwool go kind of dry inbetween watering, I find it gives the stems more oxygen hence produces roots a little faster. One thing which is very important with the dome is to gradually take it off when you have to add water. The quick change in temperature has drooped clones right before my eyes. Best to avoid drafts and keep the room door closed when adding water.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb said:
I have tried using just water and have never had success.
I find the rockwool cubes soaked and put in a hydro dome works best for me. Also if I let the rockwool go kind of dry inbetween watering, I find it gives the stems more oxygen hence produces roots a little faster. One thing which is very important with the dome is to gradually take it off when you have to add water. The quick change in temperature has drooped clones right before my eyes.

100% truth...

Hello Tom Thumb,

When using water cloning, I simply put cuttings into a film cannister, preferrably black. I just top off the water every day and after a period of like ten days ,i see roots. With the time it takes to flower, even rooting every 15 days is enough to make as maaaany clones as you like to flower.

I like the rockwool cube method you described. It seems simple and effective. I tried dirt and cloning gel with no success, which led me to try the water technique. I've never looked back.

-greatherb

greatherb said:
Hello Tom Thumb,
When using water cloning, I simply put cuttings into a film cannister, preferrably black. I just top off the water every day and after a period of like ten days ,i see roots. With the time it takes to flower, even rooting every 15 days is enough to make as maaaany clones as you like to flower.

Wow, I have zero % success with water as well... i'm gonna have to try again i guess.

Wow really Kade...that is the only method that ever gave me 100% root rate.
Secret is darkness on roots and nothing but r/o water. nothing else. not even a bubble stone.
I've done it in a window with 30 cuttings and all 30 rooted.

My success is 100% again with rockwool since I finished my new grow/clone box. The room I had them in for the last couple months I think was a lil too cool for cloning.

Haven't tried rockwool yet, not hydro. thanks for the tip tho. Yeah cool temps and cloning never mix.

Well it wasn't even that cool... well to plants maybe.. but the ambient room temp felt warm imho.

I'll have to give the water method another shot also. The one thing I never did was use an opaque glass. I always used clear, so may be that is the trick. Thanks for the tip!

TGT

Water cloning is usually 100% successful. You do not need a dark cup or a specific water or anything else to get them to root. Changing out the water frequently might help speed things along, but I've seen plenty of clones root under less than ideal conditions in plain water. You dont need to control humidity as the plant takes up what water it needs through the cut stem.

Low light levels are the key to water cloning as it has proven to be more light sensitive than other methods I've tried. If your leaves yellow, it's receiving too much light (this goes for ALL cloning methods)

Good luck

Smokin

I have used the water method, and it worked fine.

I have used the rooting powder and it worked.

I have used the rock wool and it is great.

Are u sure how to make a cutting right? I leave one or two sets of leaves on and one nodule. Nodule has to be covered with water or rooting powder or deep enough in the wool to work. My bro in law showed me the proper way and then said do 10 more and dont screw em up, cause they are yours. He calls it cloning 101.

Scoobylyn

When I cut clones I want them to root.. if it takes more then 10 days I consider it a failure. I dont have all day to wait around anymore... gettin older and all lol... I'll get myself a glass of water and let a couple cuttings sit I guess.

I've never understood the race to grow roots on your cuttings. Like doing it in five days vs. ten is some kind of badge of honor or something. If you know how long approximatly your method takes, and have a clone mother available, you just take cuttings that much earlier than another 'quicker' method.

I appreciate water cloning because of its simplicity and the fact that I don't have to use another chemical or additive on my grow.

yes but things dont always go as planned....

its all about heat.
my domes are 90+deg, roots start coming out the jiffy in 6 days, the tray is ready to be planted in 10 days
just remember to remove the heat before taking off the domes during day 9.

Latest posts

Back