how to store trimmings for hash makeing??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHITESTRAINS

Reaction score
im just away to harvest and wanted to know what is the best way to store the trim?? and also has anyone used one of the little hash makers for extraction before, if so how would you rate it? i would invest in bubble sacks but for the amount of trim im gonna have it`d be a bit of a waiste.

What kind of hash are you going to make?

Kief would work best IMHO if you used dried product. Bubble (bag) works best with fresh frozen. Finger hash is right off fresh plants. ISO works better with dried.

What little hash maker you talking about?

Iv seen it on quite a few sites, i googled mini hash maker. it looks like a little tub with some sort of mesh at the bottom. it says to freeze trim then put in tub give a good shake. im basically looking for a cheap way to make a little bit of hash. i would use bubble bags but there a bit pricey for the amount of trim im going to have to process! any ideas??

I'm not certain anyone would agree with me...however i reckon that freezing your trim is a stupid thing to do. Not only does it weaken and fracture/shatter the trichomes causing them to be less potent, I see it as a pointless step in making hash. Basically the cheapest way you're going to find is getting a section of silk-screen. You can order them online. You need 20 microns. OR 120-150 threadcount. 120 being optimum, or as close to it as you can get. You can get them already streched into a wood frame, that makes it a mesh tray about 1" deep. When I'm manicuring, i generally use a cardboard box to catch the leaves. I leave those leaves/stems in the box, lid open and put it in my closet for a few days, then stir the leaves so the dry ones on top shift off and the damper ones below are exposed to air, so they can dry. The cardboard also helps pull the moisture out of the leaves. I am of the firm frame of mind that weed gets better with drying/curing, and so I let my trim dry and cure for 2 to 3 weeks. With that mesh screen setup, you can take a handfull of your trim at a time, be gentle, and shake it or push it back and forth across the screen. Don't forget to use a piece of glass, maybe a glass top table or a shelf from a hutch or something. This process will take a while - watch a movie, brush the leaves back and forth across the screen while doing so, changing them out every 20 minutes or so, for a fresh handfull of leaves (sidenote, you can also cover your screen frame with plastic wrap on the open side, kind of making it a 'box' and just shake it without worrying about losing the leaf out of the top, and into your trichome piles). The general yield to this method is about 10% of your total processed weight if your trim is good. So if you process 100 grams, you *MIGHT* get 10 grams of usable higher grade hash. You can also reprocess those leaves maybe 2 more times, and get a lower grade of hash, however this is subjective to the ammount of trichomes already processed off the leaves. Anyway the screen probably would only cost you $20 US, and hey, it's worth it...I got one, and it works like a champ. Looks like old blonde lebanese hash when I'm done with processing, nice goldeny yellow, eventually after being compacted and such, turns dark brown, with a golden middle when you break it open. Hope that whatever ya do, it turns out tasty and works well for ya...good luck

I have similar methods as Greenthumberish, but I've always had better results w/ freezing the trimmings however. It does make Trichromes more brittle but I look at this as an asset because they fall from the leaf material at a more successful rate. I recently purchased a Bubblelator (which is not worth the money) and the directions recommend freezing the material as well. After thoroughly drying I'll vac-seal the trimmings and leave them in the freezer untill I use them - some times up to 6 months or so.

You can buy a set of 1 gal bags for under $40. IMO, they are well worth it.

hXXp://cgi.ebay.com/BUBBLE-ICE-BAGS-1-GALLON-5-BAG-MANUFACTURERS-GUARANTEE_W0QQitemZ320409326194QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a99e25272&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thank you everyone, you`ve been a big help!! ill let you know how it turns out. gonna go with the silk screen method and see what happens!

WHITESTRAINS said:
Thank you everyone, you`ve been a big help!! ill let you know how it turns out. gonna go with the silk screen method and see what happens!

Why????????? A silk screen is $20 and a SET of bags $36???????

The Hemp Goddess said:

takes all kinds to make the world go 'round, that's my guess ;)

Get the bags and freeze your trimmings...you will not regret either choice...

The Hemp Goddess said:

WHITESTRAINS said:
i would invest in bubble sacks but for the amount of trim im gonna have it`d be a bit of a waiste.

I would also like to know if anyone has used those little hash makers for extraction because I have trimmings from just two plants.

Would the bags still be a waste?

im in the same boat, just two plants. i dont think its worth investing much- but dont want to waiste the trim. emmm??? decisions,desicions... not my strong point lol!

Then you my friend havent cooked it correctly, you need to get the oil from the plant into something like butter or peanut butter......do it with some strong pot and watch out.

My husband said the same thing, till he ate a brownie I made from canna butter. Be careful how much you eat, it can be a long long time till you come down.

I'm having a hard time imagining how using the silk-screen to work dry trimmings would not result in the silk getting gummed up with resin real quick. Is that a probelm, or do ya have to clean it frequently with some solvent?

Canna butter, i watched a national geographic about weed. There was a guy making it for "medicinal" uses. he looked baked!! i think iv came to a final decision- canna butter.. some nice brownies or something would be great to go with a spliff and hot chocolate!! mmmm! cheers tcbud- for some reason i had been totally over looking this option.

has anyone tried the method explained in the 20 mj recipes thread ,
to make cannabutter??

wmmeyer said:
I'm having a hard time imagining how using the silk-screen to work dry trimmings would not result in the silk getting gummed up with resin real quick. Is that a probelm, or do ya have to clean it frequently with some solvent?

I dont ever clean it with solvent personally...I just smack it real hard against a 2x4 piece of wood, and it knocks virtually all the gunk off. I also wouldn't reccomend this technique to someone processing large volumes of shake. Larger volumes are definately better through bubble bags...

Latest posts

Back