Staggered Harvests

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesso

Mad Scientist
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I have noticed that some of you take partial harvests by taking the tops and letting the undergrowth mature for a bit. I have an auto that im chopping next week and i was wondering.....is that done to let the trichomes mature or do the lowers fatten up a bit more?
I have looked at the trichs on my plant and sure enough the buds closest to the light are cloudy and the lowers are clear.

I know nothing about autos but I used to take the top half of a plant and let that bottom mature for a couple of weeks. Depending on the strain. It worked well.

I know nothing about autos but I used to take the top half of a plant and let that bottom mature for a couple of weeks. Depending on the strain. It worked well.

Did you see an increase in yield or potency?

I doubt you see much difference in the Auto but when taken like Rosebud mentioned. it allows the lower bud sites that didn't get much light, Get a week or so more

:48:

I tried it with a couple of autos and I believe it did a little better. I do it very regular with regular sexed plants and I get some amount of improvement in both bud size and trichome ripeness. How much improvement greatly depends on the strain though, I think. Autos will typically not do as well because they have the time limit that is set by the auto trait.

I do this because I have a small space for flowering. By keeping my plants healthy up to the first cut, I can allow the plants to go another week or 2 depending on the plants and the amount of lower plant bud growth I have. I never try to continue to grow/flower the smaller "sucker buds" on the lower/heavy stems and trunk of the plants as these would take too long to get anything out of them. I divide my plants into 3 sections. The bottom 3rd of the plant is mostly stems and trunk with small sucker growth. I remove and toss all of this material and only harvest the top 2/3 of the plants.

Give an Auto as much light as you have without burning it.

24hr from week 2.

When the top is ready, the whole plant is ready, top 1/3 will give you it most potency, you then have 2 choices, keep the lower buds as reserve lower hit smokes or use them for cooking with making them into butter or saving lots of them and making butane oil.

:peace:

I do this because I have a small space for flowering. By keeping my plants healthy up to the first cut, I can allow the plants to go another week or 2 depending on the plants and the amount of lower plant bud growth I have. I never try to continue to grow/flower the smaller "sucker buds" on the lower/heavy stems and trunk of the plants as these would take too long to get anything out of them. I divide my plants into 3 sections. The bottom 3rd of the plant is mostly stems and trunk with small sucker growth. I remove and toss all of this material and only harvest the top 2/3 of the plants.

Very informative. Thank you.

Give an Auto as much light as you have without burning it.

24hr from week 2.

When the top is ready, the whole plant is ready, top 1/3 will give you it most potency, you then have 2 choices, keep the lower buds as reserve lower hit smokes or use them for cooking with making them into butter or saving lots of them and making butane oil.

:peace:
Yeah they get 24 hours of light. Im probably going to take the whole plant down.

you might try removing that lower 1/3 of larf/suckerbuds, stems and lower branches at your flip to 12/12 and use it for clones---lighting intensity and penetration is at it's weakest at the bottom of the plant because it's furthest away from the light and eventually become shaded from the tops---if you do this you would allow all the plants energy to focus on flowering the top 2/3 and will give you larger flowers/tops in the end---imo it's all about the canopy and re-focusing the plants energy to grow the portion of the plant that is most desireable---in a perfect world according to me---i want the top 2 feet to be dense enough to provide complete shade on my buckets

Latest posts

Back