Advice needed on how to prevent fly eggs & flies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Hello, in my last grow I had issues with little flies almost like midgies that what what i could tell were laying eggs in the soil which then hatched and more flies came....viscious circle and the flies are so annoying and probably eat my plants roots...

So does anyone know how to get rid of them or prevent them laying their eggs in the soil? I did read something about putting something over the soil so stop them, but can't remember for the life of me what it said. So any help appreciated, before i set up.

..and whats that when its at home?

oh yea best not be too expensive as i'm a bit broke atm.

Yo Ho Thorn,

My friend I cannot say enough for what Hick says here. Short sweet and simple. I had the nastiest plague of these little f****, and I thought I could deal with it if I just read up on them. Spare yourself the headaches, and go with what Hick says. He gave me the same advise, and you can see this post yourself in my grow journal.
I found a bag of this at an Ace Hardware. I asked here how to use the stuff, and another very good grower here said to spread a thin layer over the top of the soil. I about did myself a mischief when I saw how fast this stuff works. It is a natural product, and will not hurt your plants or you.
Thanks Heaps Hick your a life saver, also thanks to my advisor here for his help too.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

I had that same bloody problem - those stupid little flies. They disappeared on their own, but if they ever show up again, I'm gunna do like Hick & KK suggested... thanx, men. :aok:

I had fungus gnats before and managed to get rid of them without any product thanks to advise from TBG.

Cover the top of the soil with a layer of sand. This stops the buggers getting in and out. Do not water. This will dry the soil out and the larvae will die.

I also bottom fed them after that. Keep a fan blowing at the base of the pots. This makes it difficult for them.

a layer of fine sand will helo a lot, but might(I've read) also tend to compact and reduce oxygen availability to the root zone.
Diatomacious is high in calcium, which has a possibility of locking out some other nutes in too high of concentration.
Do not water. This will dry the soil out and the larvae will die.
stellar advice!.. most "all" of the soil born bugs require a warm, moist conditions, in order to propegate. Eliminating that favorable environment is the simplest, most beneficial step you can take.. IMO.... "Let 'em dry out"...

Thanks again Hick, thats great help. Runby, I always try to feed/water from bottom anyway to make sure i don't drown the plants. I'm very good at overwatering :D lol

jus got back from garden center, and couldn't find any so gonna go with the sand for now.

good thread .. just comming by reading to get more experince in the future.. Thanks guys

Thorn said:
jus got back from garden center, and couldn't find any so gonna go with the sand for now.

Try a pool supply store next time. It is used in some pool filters.

oh right cool nice one man. so far i'm not using anything as their not in my grow yet, although they are around the house.

Yo Ho Thorn,
Interesting thought, as to are they in your grow yet ? There is a way to find out if they have truley invaded.
Take a potatoe and slice off a a 1/2 inch thick piece, place it on top of your soil flat and near the edge of the container, allow it to sit overnight. Next day simply lift it outa there, and see if you can spot any worm like looking critters that have black heads. They will be small, around an 1/8 of an inch and as skinny as a piece of thread. If you even see one, well you know the rest.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Latest posts

Back