Drfting is going indoors; "The Shed"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drfting07

Don't panic it's Organic!
Reaction score
So I've done my homework, came up with a plan and have a general idea of what im going for. Ive decided an insulated 8x8 shed with an enclosed gable roof would be ideal for my growing hobbies. Im looking to use this during the fall, winter and spring and shut down in the summer.

Ive found a general building plan if you would like to take a look.
h420p://www.mybackyardplans.com/gablestorageshed.php

Two Tents inside, one for veg and one for flower. I would like them to fit snug, side by side along the back wall, so i can partition off the area and make it hidden from view even when i open the main door into the shed. The front area i could then use for storing general garden stuff, fertilizers, ph'd water barrel, a barrel for fertilizer tea, ect.

Im thinking with the gable roof, i could insulate the shed, close off the roof with a ceiling, and run all my ducting up thru the ceiling and out a vent in the peak.

This is a project that will take some time. Ill keep everything as up to date as possible. Please feel free to comment, make a suggestion or tell me im wrong. Thanks!

Drft :D

Very exciting drft.. I know you will do a good job. Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy this.

Looking forward to checking out your shed Drfting! Good Luck setting it up!

Let me be the first to throw a fly in the hash oil. Unless you are only thinking of growing a small amount in 3x3 tents, you will need a bigger building. With the tents, you don't want them fitting in snuggly as they need to breath. the intakes for the tents(at least the ones that I have) is around the sides and back and most of the exaust outlets and power inlets are also on the sides. I highly recommend that you go with a 12x12x8 building so that you have the room to expand if you want, and have the room to work on the hobby, set up other stuff like the cloner tent/cabinet.

Also having a larger building will make it easier to intake cold winter air from outside and warm it enough inside before it gets pulled into the tents. That is how I have mine, and it works well enough so that I have the room to work during harvest and stay comfortable.

Also, I highly recommend that when you build your building, that you dig a large hole in the ground to sit beneath where the center of the building will be. The hole should be about 3-4' in diameter and at least 2' deep. This is so that you can pull fresh air from under the building in the summer and still have it somewhat cool.

I think closing in the "attic" space and venting into that with ridge vent to exaust out of the attic is a very good idea as it will allow you the space to blow into from the exaust fan, which will allow the air movement noise to drop away before the air exits the roof. The reason I say this is because I have mine set up similar but my fans are connected to exaust ports on the roof and the airflow creates enough noise to be noticable.

The only other advice would be to make sure to overkill the electricity going to the building and if at all possible, run water out to it so that you aren't constantly dragging buckets of water constantly. :)

I hope this helps. If you need any assistance(advice is all I can give) just hollar :)

Congrats drft, I am sure you will enjoy the indoor experience.

Like Hushpuppy mentioned just check out the tents for the ventilation configuration you are needing.

My Secret Jardin has the duct work on the sides and on the top. The back of the tent has the electrical openings, so I am able to place the back of the tent is right up against the wall.

Hushpuppy said:
Let me be the first to throw a fly in the hash oil. Unless you are only thinking of growing a small amount in 3x3 tents, you will need a bigger building. With the tents, you don't want them fitting in snuggly as they need to breath. the intakes for the tents(at least the ones that I have) is around the sides and back and most of the exaust outlets and power inlets are also on the sides. I highly recommend that you go with a 12x12x8 building so that you have the room to expand if you want, and have the room to work on the hobby, set up other stuff like the cloner tent/cabinet.

Actually, that is exactly what i was thinking. A couple small tents, around 3x3, 2x4, along those lines. I dont want more than 4-6 girls in flower at any given time. I do agree with the breathing room around the tents. I hadnt thought about this, and im glad you brought it up. I will look into it, i may need to go bigger. Having the option to expand is also very nice to have. I think ill need more room, huh? :giggle:

Also, I highly recommend that when you build your building, that you dig a large hole in the ground to sit beneath where the center of the building will be. The hole should be about 3-4' in diameter and at least 2' deep. This is so that you can pull fresh air from under the building in the summer and still have it somewhat cool.

This is a great idea. Thanks for this.

I think closing in the "attic" space and venting into that with ridge vent to exaust out of the attic is a very good idea as it will allow you the space to blow into from the exaust fan, which will allow the air movement noise to drop away before the air exits the roof. The reason I say this is because I have mine set up similar but my fans are connected to exaust ports on the roof and the airflow creates enough noise to be noticable.

The only other advice would be to make sure to overkill the electricity going to the building and if at all possible, run water out to it so that you aren't constantly dragging buckets of water constantly. :)

This is exactly the constructive criticism i was looking for. Thank you Hushpuppy :cool2:

pcduck said:
Congrats drft, I am sure you will enjoy the indoor experience.

Like Hushpuppy mentioned just check out the tents for the ventilation configuration you are needing.

My Secret Jardin has the duct work on the sides and on the top. The back of the tent has the electrical openings, so I am able to place the back of the tent is right up against the wall.

Thanks Duck, this is good to know as ill probably be getting two SJ tents. Im thinking ill be pulling cool air from the floor, and having the veg and flower tent inline, using the same ventilation system for both tents. . Im guessing the flower tent would be first in line, so the carbon scrubber works inside the tent, then pulled into the veg tent, then up and out of the ceiling, to a vent in the ridge like HushPuppy mentioned.

There alot to consider, huh.

Thanks guys!
Drft

I have been growing in a 8x8 shed for almost 4 years. It is divided in half for veg & flowering. It is insulated and wired to a sub-panel. No water. I have no problem in the summer months using air conditioning. I would not ever do this in my home. I grow way too dank.

Do you have a journal or pics? Im guessing you use the entire shed as your grow room, and have no tents?

Im thinking a 3x3 for veg and a 4x4 for flower will be sufficient enough for my needs, and if i expand my plans to a 10x10 shed, ill have 3' of breathing room, or one foot between the wall, the two tents, and the opposite wall. Its too bad they dont sell in all in one tent that is already split down the middle, like 40/60, for veg and flower. Maybe i havent looked good enough, or they arent efficient? Ive seen the 4x8 tents split DIY, but they have to be split 50/50, as the two doors are equal in size and meet in dead center, with about 4 inches of play room.

No journal. No pics. Its a shed. Its split down the middle with a light proof pocket door that opens into itself. You are gonna love it. But, why the tents too?

johnnylongjohns said:
No journal. No pics. Its a shed. Its split down the middle with a light proof pocket door that opens into itself. You are gonna love it. But, why the tents too?

I agree..1/2inch plywood walls are cheap and easy...But I got ya back drft..Build it and they will grow

Biggest advantage of a tent is the quick take down.imo This is a major concern for me since I have the privilege of living in a non-mj state and would need for things to disappear quick if needed. I also enjoy the side access windows to just reach in and do what I got to do, without moving all my girls around.

drft I would get a tent that best fits your light dimensions. Most t-5's are 2' or 4' long. I have a 4x4 for flower with hps and a 2x4 for veg with t-5's, this is in a 10x9 room. I am in the process of putting shelving in the 2x4 tent to make it handier for different heights of the plants. My shelving is 3' long giving me a 12"x24" space for mothers. So ya may want to think about getting a 2x2 with some height and just stacking your plants if no mothers and if you have mothers I would get the 2x4 tent. With a 2x4 tent you will have no problem keeping a 4x4 tent full:D

I love my SJ tents :) I started out with wooden cabinets and found that I needed to expand. I bought a 5x5 Secret Jarden tent and fell in love with it. So I scrapped my cabinets and bought 2 more tents. I still have 2 wooden cabinets that I built for vegging and cloning in them. They do well for their purpose and are stiff enough to store stuff on top of them. But the tents just work so well and aren't as difficult to build as wooden stuff, but that also depends on yer situation. If it works better for you to build it then you can save the money.

The reason people don't encorporate the veg and bloom sections in the same tent is because of having to maintain light discipline for flowering, and having 2 separate tents guarentees no light leaking through. :)

Right on Drft! These ideas have been ramblin around in my brain as well throughout this last season :D Realistically im a ways out. But any electrical knowledge I can lend a hand with to help you get set up in the shed, don't hesitate to ask brotha. :aok:

Taking notes Duck, Thanks for your input. I too like the advantage of tearing down shop in a few minutes. This isnt a huge operation either. Just enough to fit the needs of myself. I do ok, considering....:D:stoned: And the shelving would help with space issues, thanks for the idear! Efficiency and stealth are my main priorities right now looking towards the future.

Hushpuppy, Im glad you like the SJ tents. It is reassuring that other members here have experience, and love then. Also, appreciate the info on splitting them, i can see the ease of using two, and knowing they wont leak. :cool2:

Ston, Its good to hear from you, my dude! I hope your enjoying the bountiful harvest of this years Grow-off. I thought it was an awesome trip, and good company....:) By the way, you completely dominated it! :holysheep: Here, some Satori :48: Im glad you decided to come in and offer your advice on running the electric. I am confident in just about every other aspect of the build, but dont know much in the way of properly wiring the shed, Its a big deal! Thanks man!

Im glad so many of you MPers are giving me these tips, suggestions and ideas. I would much rather do it myself, with you guys helping me, than having someone help my physically, and know why its being built.

The first thing on my to-do list is find out what i can legally build on my property. Ide rather it not be taxed. I believe that means no concrete slab. Ill make some calls and find out whats best. :cool:

Thanks guys!
Drft

Latest posts

Back