Progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
So that last couple weeks had led to a bit of disappointment. Barbara, here-to-fore known as Bob, my most structurally stunning and vigorously-growing plant, lifted her skirt and showed her nuts. I was going to save some of the pollen to try to seed a lower branch, because of the vigorous growth, sour smell, and awesome structure, but I have no where to move him to collect pollen. I tried putting a bag over the branch to no avail... water kills pollen, and all that did was put a makeshift humidity dome over the plant. So I chopped him. No seeds for me. :( But that's alright I guess. I'll just move on to a new strain after harvest.

Anyways, my second plant - Favre, the one I burned early on in its youth, has made a glorious comeback and it thriving very well in the closet. I count over a dozen top-bud sites or "colas". Quotations, because I fimmed the everliving hell out of her and some of those cola's are just the result of a fimmed branch that had already been fimmed once before.

I'm attaching pics that will include images of how the ventilation has been readjusted to accomodate my monster bush and her little sister that I've affectionately coined the name John's Seed for; named after the guy I bought the bag from (yes, she's bag seed. I'll be on the lookout for nanners/browning pistils).

The big girl, Favre, is enormous; roughly 3 feet tall, 1 week into flowering. I'm expecting an above average yield off of her... hoping for 4-5 ounces? I don't know if that is an unreasonable expectation or not. I've been taking very good care of my 2 girls, and I don't foresee any issues that would prevent me from taking the maximum yield she will give me.

I'm running a 600W HPS on a dimmable ballast, but the closet is only peaking at 82 degrees, so I haven't dimmed to 75%. I am wondering if I'm seeing signs of heat stress on the new growth, though. The discoloration isnt very bad at all, but the leaves are thin, though not crispy. This could very well just be new growth altogether and I'm being paranoid. With this light, I'm packing approximately 10000 lumens per square foot into my 9sq ft growing space. She's definitely getting the light she needs to fulfill my hopes and dreams, I would say. As you can see, my ventilation still needs some work. The hood was bigger than I thought it would be, and barely fit in the width of the closet. So where the ducting connects to the hood is a big mashed in, and the airflow is being restricted a bit. I'm going to cut the tips off of the 4" side of the flanges/reducers off with my buddies electric handsaw (the blade cuts through metal like butter ;P) and duct tape everything together thataway. Should give me a little bit more room to play with to make everything fit perfectly.

2012-04-25_12-38-38_443.jpg

2012-04-29_09-02-57_929.jpg

2012-04-29_09-03-09_327.jpg

2012-04-29_09-03-17_515.jpg

2012-04-29_09-02-52_303.jpg

Don't ya hate it when your biggest star turns out to be a him. I feel your pain.

I don't think 82 degrees is enough to give heat stress if you have lots of ventilation going.

You should be getting some big girls outta there. Enjoy and mojo for the grow.

Yes'm, it certainly was a pretty big disappointment! I'm using a 400CFM fan, with 4" filter attached with 4" ducting to a 6"->4" reducer. The other side of the hood reduces to 4" right out of the hood, up to the fan, where it expands up to 6" again. The other side of the fan exhaust 6" all the way to the door. So, I'm basically saying that I don't have as much ventilation going on as I could have. But I hold my hand right over the top of Favre, and I feel no uncomfortable heat. She's sitting about 5" under the light right now. Definitely blowing out a substantial amount of heat, though! Thanks for stoppin by Rose. :)

If you feel any heat raise your light. 5" above the plants in a 82 degree room sounds mighty close to me.

pcduck said:
If you feel any heat raise your light. 5" above the plants in a 82 degree room sounds mighty close to me.
Got it, bud. Thanks!

83 is where my closet tops out with my 600 watt...... I have a 6 inch fan drawing through a filter....... haven't had any problems yet.

Grower13 said:
83 is where my closet tops out with my 600 watt...... I have a 6 inch fan drawing through a filter....... haven't had any problems yet.
6" filter or 4"?

I think that your girls are looking just great (LOL--a girl named Favre). I know that in a smaller closet a 3' plant can look enormous, but I think 3' is kind of the norm. While I am thinking that 4-5 ozs may be a bit optimistic, I believe that you will have a very nice harvest indeed.

The filter and sharp bends in the ducting are probably affecting your air flow a lot. In addition, remember that a 6" duct is twice as large as a 4" duct. When you reduce your fittings and ducting down to 4", you're cutting your air flow by about 1/2.

I have a 6inch filter...... i keep my house at 76 or lower...... have two 6 inch fans blowing air across the tops of the plants..... temps where I'm at are getting close to 90 in the day........ When day time highs were under 80 and falling into the 50's at night I had and avg high temp of 78 during light on....... I run my light 8:am to 8 pm...... during winter I had avg temps of 73 as an avg high during light on.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I think that your girls are looking just great (LOL--a girl named Favre). I know that in a smaller closet a 3' plant can look enormous, but I think 3' is kind of the norm. While I am thinking that 4-5 ozs may be a bit optimistic, I believe that you will have a very nice harvest indeed.

The filter and sharp bends in the ducting are probably affecting your air flow a lot. In addition, remember that a 6" duct is twice as large as a 4" duct. When you reduce your fittings and ducting down to 4", you're cutting your air flow by about 1/2.
Good information to have! Coined the name after it halted growth for a week and a half or so after I burned it and fimmed it. It came back pretty strong. Haha. But yes, definitely good info to have. I'll have to get that ducting sorted out before next grow for sure, but for now the temperatures seem to be holding up well.

She definitely does look very large in that little closet. I thought also that 4-5oz might be a bit optimistic, but I'll hold my breath for the next 2 months and see how she turns out. I'm rather curious as to the difference in high between the two girls I've got running right now. John's Seed, the bag seed, looks to be indica to me, while Favre looks sativa. Expecting Favre to finish up the third week of June, and I'll be keeping an eye on both of them starting around the first week of June. I took down my grow journal because the source I got the seeds from learned that this wasn't White Russian, but rather a cross of Trainwreck, and he believes a blueberry strain, but is still waiting to confirm.

getnasty said:
Good information to have! Coined the name after it halted growth for a week and a half or so after I burned it and fimmed it. It came back pretty strong. Haha. But yes, definitely good info to have. I'll have to get that ducting sorted out before next grow for sure, but for now the temperatures seem to be holding up well.

She definitely does look very large in that little closet. I thought also that 4-5oz might be a bit optimistic, but I'll hold my breath for the next 2 months and see how she turns out. I'm rather curious as to the difference in high between the two girls I've got running right now. John's Seed, the bag seed, looks to be indica to me, while Favre looks sativa. Expecting Favre to finish up the third week of June, and I'll be keeping an eye on both of them starting around the first week of June. I took down my grow journal because the source I got the seeds from learned that this wasn't White Russian, but rather a cross of Trainwreck, and he believes a blueberry strain, but is still waiting to confirm.
I just harvested a bag seed plant and got 7 oz dry. I had a very similar setup and put my plant in 12/12 when she was 3 ft tall....I dont think 4 oz is out of the question.

I would love to see a pic of that 7 oz plant. In all my many many years of growing, I have never had a single plant over 5.5 ozs. And it was quite large...well over 3'.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would love to see a pic of that 7 oz plant. In all my many many years of growing, I have never had a single plant over 5.5 ozs. And it was quite large...well over 3'.
it was a tree...it was six feet at its peak....didnt take pics of that one. the main thing for me is an abundance of light. i have a 6x8 space with 2 1000k hortilux bulbs and co2 supps. I have seen many many plants grown outdoors yield more than a pound.

What is it you mean by an abundance of light exactly? You're rockin a little over 5700 lumens per square foot in your space. I'm sitting at nearly 10K lumens per square foot. with my 600W in a 9 sq ft area. I'd hope I qualify under "abundance of light". :p I'm just using the CO2 from my living space, also.

Latest posts

Back