Cooking with fats vs sugars and glycerin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually add my rosin pucks into a mason jar with alcohol for a tincture or rso. I have a bit too much trim laying around and really need to do something with it.

I had the same problem recently. LOL I used to always make bubble hash out of it. But I have about an ounce or so of real nice bubble and it's always a mess and a hassle with all that water and ice.

This time, I dry sifted it all. I have that sifter I made that fits in the paint shaker and it gets most of the canabanoids off. I can shake about 3 or 4 ounces at a time so it goes pretty quick. Plus, I just walk away while it's shaking so it's pretty easy. I need to use dry ice to do it best.

Then, I screen the sift with my screen tower to separate the sizes. Some of it presses into nice hash but most of it goes into a jar.

I did try pressing some of the dry sift but I never have good luck with that. I don't know why. I use the bag filters and everything. Just can't seem to get the hang of it.

Pressing dry sift seems to provide incredible yields to many people (just not me. LOL).

well here in Cali, if buds are smaller than a dime they are trim. I have 5 full shopping bags of buds from various grows. Not only are the buds considered small, but being from different strains as well, I could never sell it. So its been sitting in the extra freezer I have. I'm at the point where all the trim has filled the freezer.

LOL, I just got rid of all my old trim. You're right, it does build up after a while. I did have a freezer full a few years back but this time it was only about 15 or 20 ounces. Made some decent sift. I definitely prefer the yield from bubble over dry sift. Those first few runs come out just like fudge. LOL

I have been reading more about the awful flavor of cannabis. More than a few posts said that ginger is a good balance. Mrs. Hackerman always keeps fresh ginger root around so next time I decarb rosin, I might grate a tiny bit of ginger and put it in with it when I decarb it. That would seem the best time to get the most benefit and the least aftertaste of ginger in the finished product (unless I make ginger snaps LOL).

Another way to look at this is logically. My favorite method. LOL

Cannabinoids and terpenes, that what we are dealing with. No leaves, sift or anything else. Just rosin so it's mostly cannabinoids and terpenes.

Cannabinoids have no taste or odor so those are out. That leave terpenes.

The most predominant terp in cannabis is Beta Myrcene. This is a giant contributor to the aroma and this terp is often used in the perfume industry. I know perfume does not taste great. LOL Smells great tastes poo poo. Maybe that's a contributor to the bad tast of pot.

Beta Myrcene is also found in mango, hops, lemon grass, East Indian bay tree, and verbena. So, I'll look for spices or herbs that balance those foods and.... maybe I'll hit a match.

There seem to be so many different terps in Cannabis but I'm guessing that the top 5 will be 90% of the total amount. We'll see if that's true.

I found a nice list of terps at another site that I am going to post here for reference.

Well, I pressed some old trim today to try some gummy bears.

I pressed 0.5 grams of rosin from some old trim. I decarbed the rosin at 240F for 40 min. When the rosin came out of the oven (pic 1) I simply mixed the honey in with it while it's still in the oven hot glass bowl. (pic 2). This works really well for infusing edibles. So easy. You can see the little specs in the honey. That's the rosin not mixing in properly. A little sprinkle of Sunflower Lecithin and it blends much better.

Whisk in the other ingredients (fruit juice, lemon, water and gelatin) and put them in the mold. I did spray the molds very lightly with oil to help them not stick. I thought about using powdered sugar. Might have been a better taste combo.

Another thing I picked up this time was a tip I read about using an eye dropper to fill the molds. That worked really well. Lots less mess than trying to pour.

They are in the fridge now. I'll let you know soon how they taste.

With only .5 grams of rosin in these, I am hoping the taste will be negligible. However, to reach my dose, I have to eat the entire tray. LOL

EDIT: LOL After looking at that last picture, I didn't fill the tray very evenly, did I. LOL

View attachment gummy-1.jpg

View attachment gummy-2.jpg

View attachment gummy-3.jpg

View attachment gummy-4.jpg

View attachment gummy-5.jpg

Well, I'm not 100% pleased with the taste. It's not a cannabis taste like you get with butter. It's really more of a medicinal taste. It even burns the back of the throat a tiny bit, kind of like tincture does although, I have never had that happen with plain rosin. Especially in this tiny amount. I did sprinkle a little powdered sugar on them but it wouldn't stick. These things are as slippery as an eel. LOL

I am thinking it's possible that I just had an untasty mix in my ingredients. I did do a little experimenting and lemon, honey, cranberry juice and strawberry Jell-o might have been a bad combination. LOL

Also, if what I posted in the first post is true, I should be letting these melt in my mouth rather than chewing and swallowing them. I try a handful today.

I also need to get gummy bear molds. I'm sure that makes them more tasty that gummy dots. LOL

View attachment gummy-6.jpg

Well isn't that the cutest thing ever!!! You are multi-talented Hackerman/baker.

I like to use condiment bottles to fill candy molds. Fast and clean. Very little waste.

Thanks Rosie. I love to cook.

@Lesso, I saw that recommendation in one of the recipes but I was doing such a tiny amount that I didn't try it. Great idea, though.

Still, I'm having the same problem...... dosing. I still need to eat the entire tray. LOL I am going to try simply eating the rosin plain. I should mix it with a little oil or butter to absorb better. But, 1 gram of rosin and a few drops of butter will go down a lot quicker and easier than eating a bunch of medicinal tasting gummies.

Maybe I'll try some capsules.

Hi all dudes, I think this is a pretty interesting topic. Since I believe that it is very important to learn how to cook both food and drinks, the equipment should be of high quality and inexpensive. My friend the Manager is very worried about this and a little relaxed we thought to buy a new technique. Later, finding on various forums commercial beverage equipment, we decided to order it, thanks to this service, it was high-quality and inexpensive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back