Guanos first grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guano

Reaction score
I thought I'd share some pics of my first grow and I welcome any thoughts and advice.

I'll just list the details that I can remember:

2 Northern Lights and 1 Lemon OG
FFOF with no amendments -currently in 7gal felt pots
3 Viparspectra 300w(136w draw) LED
Veg'd under 24/0 lights on for 60 days
39" square tent
4" carbon filter and inline fan + fan for circulation.

I have been totally organic so far except for some ph-down during veg that I quit using. The only other nute I've been using in flower is AN mother earth super bloom tea @ 5ml/gal and molasses @ 1tsp/gal. I plan on staying the course with this throughout unless I need to do something.

I was very excited at first but now I am a little disappointed in their size. They are only 20" tall at 20days into 12/12 ( but very bushy). I flipped to 12/12 after 60 days as they were showing sex (pistils). I was expecting a LOT more stretch after flipping but they only grew a few inches. Now, I am not sure what I think of these lights.

It was pretty cold in my basement after switching to 12/12 (the lights kept the tent warm during 24/0 veg) and it caught me off guard. I was keeping the basement heated at 62 and the tent temps dropped to 58/68 so I bumped it up to 64 and now it 60/70. I put some insulation under them too to get them off the cool floor.

I also figured I wouldn't do any pruning with this first grow so I can get a baseline to start with and learn.

Here they are (I hope) :day 40 from seed, day 49, day 58 (2 days before flip), and 3 pics from today-day 80 (20 day into flower.)

View attachment day40.jpg

View attachment day49.jpg

View attachment day58.jpg

View attachment DSC_5759.jpg

View attachment DSC_5760.jpg

View attachment DSC_5761.jpg

Stretch depends on the strain. Looking good so far. Now is when the magic starts happening!

Indicas oftentimes don't stretch very much. Your plants are looking very happy and healthy. I would not worry about the lack of stretch. Also, your lights NOT causing stretch is a good thing.

Guano what distance are you hanging those lights at? Unless you've raised them for the Picts, they look a little high (from the canopy). Plants are looking good otherwise.

Hey Dan
I am currently hanging them at 16"-17" but had them at 24"or more during veg. I almost killed them when they were about 6" tall. I put the lights too close and when they drooped, I thought I may have over-watered them so I let them go another day and they were burnt bad. i learned a lesson there.:doh: I was a little gun-shy after that and kept the lights backed-off. The instructions say 36" for seedlings, 24" during veg, and 15"-18" for flower.
I am trying to make sure I am close enough but one of the plants seems to be much more sensitive than the others and will bleach quick while the other two don't seem to care. I have the lights staggered some to compensate.

update for day 40:

I bought the TLO book on growing organic cannibis indoors by The Rev.
https://www.amazon.com/True-Living-Organics-All-Natural-Marijuana/dp/1937866092/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490741400&sr=8-1&keywords=to+organic+cannabis

I bought a TDS meter, a RO unit, and some GO calmag+ in that order. My well water was around 100ppm and ph 8.3.
I ditched the AN Mother Earth Super Tea Bloom stuff and have given the ladies a "finishing tea" as per the book..twice now. I also used a top dressing of 50/50 high-p guano 0-11-0 and kelp meal 1-0-2.

They were having some kind of deficiency (early yellowing) and maybe they still are but they did respond very positively to the teas ect.

I also put together a TLO soil and followed everything to a "tea" and it is currently cooking in a tote in my living room, currently holding 83f about 4-5 days in.

View attachment DSC_5798.jpg

View attachment DSC_5800.jpg

View attachment DSC_5801.jpg

View attachment DSC_5802.jpg

View attachment DSC_5807.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
YUM. I too had trouble trying to figure out my light distance. We are learning. Your plants still look very nice. TLO is a great book.

I really HATE when they start to Yellow. My blood pressure goes up thinking I fooked up somewhere. It is truly a "Learning Curve!"

update.. and advice wanted please.

My girls are at day 44 and the Northern Lights strain is supposed to be 45-50 days while the Lemon og is supposed to be 8 weeks(56 days). I wasn't putting too much faith into those times and, figured from what I read here that it would take closer to 60 days but, I am starting to have amber trichomes on both plants fairly equally already.
Do you think I am ready to harvest or should I wait another week or two?? (photo below i hope). This first picture is on the top-most cola and I am assuming the lower buds look less advanced but I haven't checked..i will tonight.
I included the second picture just because she is so pretty...:icon_smile:

I hate to chop too early because they are really filling-out every day now.

Edit: added picture of a lower bud trichomes that are less amber.

View attachment Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 7.51.32 PM.png

View attachment Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 8.32.46 PM.png

View attachment Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 9.16.45 PM.png

I take mine with a few ambers and no clear. If you want more couchlock wait longer for more amber. If you want head high take them when they are all cloudy with a few ambers.

Latest posts

Back