fert question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purified

Reaction score
last time i tried to grow i used fox farm grow big fert @ 1/4th its strength after 3 weeks in veg and it burned it bad. I flushed it probally 3 times still didnt help at all. It burned all the way through flowering, I had to harvest 2 weeks early or else it would have died. Oh yeah and i was using ocean forest potting soil.

currently have a few in veg now but iam so nervous about using fert's just because of what happened last time. What would happen if i didnt use any fert at all for the entire grow? Would it still be fine? Using ocean forest potting soil again this time. Ph should be ok because use distillated water from store everytime i water.

I have big bloom now and was told its organic and it has so low of fert numbers that its impossible to burn. Was thinking about using this maybe 1-2 times a week once i switch to following.

The fox farm nutes work wonders on my babies. Some plants respond differently to nutes than others. I would start out with a very low concentration and slowly bump it up watching for burn as you do.

But if you don't use nutes through your grow your yield is going to suffer.

Also depending on how many times a week you have to water, if you are still worried about burning them only give them nutes one watering a week.

If you are following the exact directions on the box, watering maybe once a week, the next using fert/water....they should not burn. I think you were using too much fert and the wrong kind during the flower cycle. You could have been giving the plant un-needed nutes...idk tho. But big grow I believe is only to be used during veg, then you drop down to blooming nutes to help with bud development. But make sure you are using NUTE FREE soil. It has to completely empty of all nutes if you really want to keep it from having problems because once those nutes run out you could have problems...if u already have nuted soil...just flush ur soil every one to two weeks to keep any salt from building up..

EDIT: and you should only be giving your plants nutes every 2 weeks...water...nutes/water....water....nutes/water

i didnt use grow big at all for entire flowering

as explained above i was using fox farm ocean forest potting soil

i used grow big ONE time at 3 weeks in veg and I even used 1/4th the strength recommend per gallon of water. It was 100% healthy and then within 2 days of adding it the plant went to **** everything started burning. Flushed it 3 times still kept burning then i switch to flowering, still added nothing, and it continued burning. Pretty much had nothing left on the plant except buds so i harvsted 2 weeks early because i was afraid the buds would start burning also.

However this time iam thinking about adding nothing except maybe fox farm big bloom 1-2 times a week once i switch to flowering or maybe nothing at all idk

purified said:
i didnt use grow big at all for entire flowering

as explained above i was using fox farm ocean forest potting soil

i used grow big ONE time at 3 weeks in veg and I even used 1/4th the strength recommend per gallon of water. Within 2 days of adding it the plant went to **** everything started burning. Flushed it 3 times still kept burning then i switch to flowering, still added nothing, and it continued burning. Pretty much had nothing left on the plant except buds so i harvsted 2 weeks early because i was afraid the buds would start burning also.

However this time iam thinking about adding nothing except maybe fox farm big bloom 1-2 times a week once i switch to flowering or maybe nothing at all idk

Did you use 1/4th strength of whats on the bottle or whats on their web site? Because they have two different numbers.

Also big bloom can be used throughout the entire grow, Grow big for veg and Tiger bloom for flower.

fertilizing 1-2 times a week is too much. once every two weeks. I looked at that soil, it is nice:) but like I said it has nutes in it. Soilless mixes are always best if you plan on adding nutes. What is your light? And you should post some pictures of what you are talking about being burnt? Where did it start? The fan leaves?

The ocean farm soil is nice and only has a limited amount of nutes in it. The plant will have consumed all the nutes by the third week, that is why it is recommended not to use nutes until after this point. I have heard great things about that soil but I had it burn seedlings several times so I changed to Happy Frog, also made by Fox Farms.

_Sir Smokes Alot_ said:
fertilizing 1-2 times a week is too much. once every two weeks. I looked at that soil, it is nice:) but like I said it has nutes in it. Soilless mixes are always best if you plan on adding nutes. What is your light? And you should post some pictures of what you are talking about being burnt? Where did it start? The fan leaves?

big bloom is a NPK Formula: 0.01-0.3-0.7 so its pretty much impossible to burn. Iam able to use this 1-2 times a week. 400watt hps for flowering and mh conv bulb for veg is my light. And its impossible to post picts of it burning because it happened 2 months ago. Iam starting a fresh one now and trying to not have it turn out like the one before. The only conclussion i have came up as to why it started dying was the fert. It was pefectly healthly until i added grow big one time. It started burning at the bottom first then worked its way all the way to the top.

U don't have 2 listen to me about burning ur plants with too much nutes lol i did it as well and they got much healthier after i flushed them, and started regulating how much water..and nutes they got PER MONTH haha...i still say 1-2 times a week is too much. I don't give mine water for almost a week haha...i don't see how u could water them with nutes 1-2 times per week without having issues..but hey like i said, some1 else will either agree with me or dis agree but what i stated above has been working extremely well for all my diff strains of plants(i have bag seed)

_Sir Smokes Alot_ said:
U don't have 2 listen to me about burning ur plants with too much nutes lol i did it as well and they got much healthier after i flushed them, and started regulating how much water..and nutes they got PER MONTH haha...i still say 1-2 times a week is too much. I don't give mine water for almost a week haha...i don't see how u could water them with nutes 1-2 times per week without having issues..but hey like i said, some1 else will either agree with me or dis agree but what i stated above has been working extremely well for all my diff strains of plants(i have bag seed)

Not trying to argue with you smokes alot, but your watering routine generally depends on your size of growing container.

Small pot = more watering per week.
Large pot = less watering per week.

At least that is what I have seen in my experience.

But with that said, I feed nutes every other watering. Has worked out fine for me so far. I water twice a week, and give nutes once a week.

ehh I do it to all my plants and some have big pots while others have small..I just use what I said as a guidline, i can always add more water. But i base it primarily off of how dry the top soil is, i try not to go over watering once a week if i can

_Sir Smokes Alot_ said:
ehh I do it to all my plants and some have big pots while others have small..I just use what I said as a guidline, i can always add more water. But i base it primarily off of how dry the top soil is, i try not to go over watering once a week if i can

I guess what I was trying to say was that depending on condition, watering method, how much water you use, or a hand full of other variables will affect how often you have to water. Its all about finding something that works for you, that you can stick to.

soil dryness is what I use, and my plants start to droop, a little water and they kick right back up

Latest posts

Back