HOW HIGH for 1000 WATT HPS ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandDaddyToke

SEE U ON THE DARK SIDE
Reaction score
I HAVE 2-1000-WATT HPS. I AM USED TO USING 3-400's AND NOT SURE HOW HIGH TO SET MY LIGHTS. I HAVE 1 INLINE FAN FOR EACH LIGHT FOR COOLING THEY VENT INTO MY ROOF AND OUT THE VENT. I HAVE SEVERAL OTHER TYPES OF FANS BLOWING IN REPLACING AIR.THERE IS AN AC VENT BLOWING COLD AIR IN THE TOP CENTER OF THE GROW AREA. I RAN A TESTWITH MY AC SET @ 77 F WHICH IS WHAT WE KEEP IT ON AND THE TEMP IN THE 24 SQUARE FOOT GROW AREA WAS HOLDING @ 78 TO 79DEGREES. THE LIGHTS ARE SO BRIGHT YOU NEED DARK GLASSES ON TO WORK IN THERE OR IT IS BLINDING. I PUT A FEW PICTURES IN TO GIVE A ROUGH IDEA OF SET-UP. I WILL BE GROWING SEVERAL AUTOMATIC AK-47'S FROM LOW LIFE SEED COMPANY. WITH THIS INFORMATION CAN YOU ALL HELP WITH HOW HIGH MY LIGHTS SHOULD BE ONCE I PUT THE SEEDS IN SOIL???

0 013.jpg 0 014.jpg 0 015.jpg
0 016.jpg 0 019.jpg

Simple answer )...... Ya do the hand test... You put your hand at the level of the top of your plant and you set your light to it..... if your hand burns, your light is too low.... heh

General rule of thumb is no closer than 18-24 inches for a 400 watt light.... I am not sure on a 1K, but I would not get closer than about 30 inches or so.... Your lights are vented though, so you might be able to get a LOT closer. Use the hand test, it is good.... also whenever you move your light, watch your plant the next few hours for signs of overheating.

I generally put my flowering plants 8-12" away from the glass on the reflector, however I can get them as close as 6" without burning them. It is amazing how much closer you can get your plants with an air cooled hood. If you are starting your seeds under these, you are going to want to start them farther away. Move them closer a little at a time as they get older and show no sign of burn.

Your set-up looks really nice. It appears that your A/C is doing its job keeping the temps within range. 2000W in a 24 sq ft space is going to give you some incredible light--I'm sure that your girls are going to love it.

How are you growing? Soil? Hydro?

IMO for seedlings id say at minimum of 2 ft to start, best to use the hand test though. I know with my 400s i have them about 8 in off the tops and have no problem what so ever with burns, that is unless the plant goes ape poo on me and grows a bit over night and the lights come one and its too close till i get in there to raise em up. ;)

The Hemp Goddess said:
How are you growing? Soil? Hydro?

Strictly soil grow with all the line of fox farm soil and ferts. Thanks everyone for your help. I will be starting a journal as soon as the seeds are in soil!:fly: :farm:

s21thomas said:
Strictly soil grow with all the line of fox farm soil and ferts. Thanks everyone for your help. I will be starting a journal as soon as the seeds are in soil!:fly: :farm:

Man that Is an awesome setup my frend...sounds like you started a journal already..just add to this and a Mod here will move you..they did me and you are way cooler man..I am subscribiing.and pulling up my milk crate..I have the same 400 x 2 and like Dubbaman can get as close as 8 in from canopy..anyway keep us posted and KEEP M GREEN:D

Latest posts

Back