Ammending soil with lime?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hey everyone. When I want to transplant into 5 gal. bags and want to ammend the soil I am useing ( FFOF) w/lime how much in relation to a 5 gal pot would I want to add? I beleive someone here said a handfull/cup ? can you add too much by accident? I already purchased " Sunniland" from HD which says Calcitic/dolomite lime. Hope this is the right stuff all I know is I dont want the pellets due to time breakdown.. Thanks Hero

I hve been using MG Seed Starter mix with added perlite and lime for my current grow and things are going well. I add a nice handful per 8 dry qt bag. Jmo

Thanks Hamster, no one else? geeze guess everyones two bong hits to the wind. I am going to use the FFOF again HL but was advised to add some lime because when I switch to 5 gal.. just before 12/12 the lime ( oyster shell) can run out or something and the soil can go back to being acidy or something so I am going to try a bit of it with my final 5 gal after I transpalnt them I was just wondering what other ppl did. Hero

I saw this last night but I really can't offer you any information on it, as most of my research has been geared toward grow room construction and the plant life cycle. Nutrients, when and how to use them, amenities to soil, media as a whole... I'm just in the dark there with pinhole's of light shining through, bud. I have, on other hand, been waiting for replies here as well, as it's almost time to get serious about establishing a proper soil mix, and I've been curious about using lime and perlite as augmentations to the soil right out of the bag.

~3 cups per 40-60(prob depends on moisture content as well) lbs bag of FFOF for me, have had EXCELLENT results thus far.

:peace:,

7greeneyes:)

Thanks greeneyes.. The bags I have been getting of FFOF are 40lbs? Didnt seem that heavy, gotta check that out.. waiting for the nursery I use to open tomorrow.. I need 2.. stat. lol Hero

always seems around 60 lbs for the big bag, nvr really checked, I just add some perlite and the lime and mix in a big tupperware container... ;)

7greeneyes:)

Maybe Im getting the smaller bags.. I just checked a 3/4 empty one and it says 1.5 cubic feet. I know that 50lb bag of lime seems 3 times heavier. Maybe cuz its is a smaller bag. Why do you add perlite? It looks like it has perlite in it. Thanks Hero

yeah, I buy my N-enriched lime called Lillymiller's Supersweet (also known as soilsweet as well) at home depot. Has lasted me a good five yrs...:rofl:

7greeneyes:D

p.s. Added aeration (perlite) of the roots is always a good thing in my opinion, my medium tends to be very spongy like feeling by the time they're rootbound. Always yields top notch ganj...:cool2:

IMO, you could add too much but it would be hard, a big handfull to a 3 gal pot will only help, but a cup is atleast 2 handfulls, so 1-2 handfulls in a 5 gallon would do good, jmo

Hi Hero-

About 2/3 to 3/4 of a cup per 5 gallons is what I use.

Adding lime at this point really depends on the style of growing you're using. Lime takes a while (3 months to 1 year or more) to break down in the soil, so while adding (dolomite) lime adds some beneficial nutrients to the soil, your flowering plant will not benefit throughout to the end of flowering.

When you first add lime to the soil, there's a reaction with the "reactive lime" in the limestone that reacts to the acidic peat in your media, making the ph of your media more neutral and leaving some calcium in the soil in an available form for plant uptake.

If you ph adjust your water and nutrient solution, there will be no further reaction with the lime and no more additional calcium or magnesium added to your media that would be available to the plant. Using an acidic fertilizer actually benefits the plant more when there is sufficient lime in the media as the lime adjusts the soil ph and releases more calcium as a result.

Make sure you have some cal/mag- you'll need it later.

Happy growing!

3 months? That means it would be almost useless if I add it before the flip to the new 5 gallon bags, I would think. Everyone here seems to use it in soil grows. I wasnt going to add lime until I transplant them into 5 gallon bags a week or so before the flip.. I will add it in anycase because it is what u all seem to do, I am running all indicas so that usually means 8 weeks, give or take.. I know FFOF is already PH'd and they use oyster shell but someone mentioned that after a monthor so that can breakdown or runout.. I forgot the term used but I did notice on my first grow.. growing in FFOF after about the 2 or 3 week into flower my plants seemed to be getting a bit sick with curling leaves . claw like.. drying leaves.. it could have been a was a lil heavy on the FF nutes as well, I used cal/mag from AN and carboload as well. Anyways Thanks BBfan, Hero

Hold on tight.

18cf organic soil or Pro mix or the like
2cf rice hulls
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, soybean meal
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, alfalfa meal
10lb's bone meal
18 cups Dolomite lime
4lb's epsom
6lb's rock phosphate
5lb's Azomite
1c humic acid
6lb's kelp meal
6lb's green sand
50lb's castings
8lb's Bio-tone/Plant-tone(depot)

Would love to be able to do that Nouvelle chef but no backyard. no garage here.. a 1,400 sq. foot condo so space to be mixing and storeing are limited over here.. I am going with the FFOF. w/ perlite and the lime.. But thx.. one day if I ever move I might just think about making. mixing my own medium. Hero

Running this exact as written. Is the 4 lbs. Epsom, indeed Epsom Salts? Just seemed like alot? Those rice hulls have sure made it an airey soil NV. I think i am gonna like this ! 2 week cook and %50 in my 7 gal. pots ? Correct?

Latest posts

Back