View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

How much waste does she generate? If she has enough, I recommend a compost tumbler and a worm bin. When I lived by myself, I did not generate enough waste for a large compost pile, so just ran a worm bin and a small compost tumbler.

Trying to keep and turn a large compost pile can be hard if you do not have equipment. A commercial compost tumbler is easy to use and turn. You can buy them in smaller sizes and it is easy to supply the right amount of moisture. And they seem to work faster than a compost pile that you need to manually turn regularly.

A small commercial worm bin is virtually odor free and not messy at all. I kept mine in my kitchen for many years. It is in an enclosed greenhouse area next to the house now. I will bring it in soon as the weather as the is getting cold now. Worms also do not like foods with strong flavors, like onions, garlic, and cabbage. The finer the food is chopped up, the faster the worms turn it into wonderful worm castings. Most of the commercial worm have a reservoir at the bottom with a spigot to collect the worm leachate, which you make worm casting tea from.

She will love doing this. There are few things finer than turning gargage into rich black soil.
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote