View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
The Hemp Goddess
Granny Mod

The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess The Hemp Goddess

LOL, zem, you posted while I was typing. There are actually a lot of other differences between compost and worms than the drainage holes. While you can make a worm bin with just a couple of totes, I encourage you to look at the tiered commercial bins. The are odor free and the worms cannot escape. The also catch the leachate for you. The worms migrate from one level as the food level rises, leaving you with rich castings and few worms to try and seperate out. I got 2000 red wigglers (about 2 lbs) from a commercial place to start. Red wigglers are a lot better in worm bins than earthworms.

With compost bins, you need a good microbe herd to break down the raw materials. With a worm bin, they eat the garbage and poo out the castiings. It is quite a bit faster. Compost piles are a lot pickier about temperatures, moisture levels, and green/brown ratios than the worms are
The Hemp Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote