Cooking with fats vs sugars and glycerin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I have a ton of old keif and hash that I need to dispose of so I figure I'll spend the day in the kitchen making a nice edible.

Been doing a little reading and I learned (I think) something I didn't know.

Basically, the edibles come in 2 forms, fat based and sugar based.

The fat based edibles are designed to be chewed and eaten and the fats are absorbed into your blood via your digestive system.

The sugar and glycerin based edibles are designed to be sublingual and the sugars are absorbed by your saliva.

Also, stated was that sublingual method effects you almost immediately and almost always within the first hour, whereas fat based edibles are absorbed over several hours with the peak being as much as 3 or 4 hours away.

Also fat based is said to last much longer. 6 to 8 hours as compared to 2 or 3 hours of sublingual.

I have read this stuff at more than one site and I am wondering if the peeps here agree or have comment.

I was planning to make butter and go from there. However, all my friends want gummy bears so I might go with a glycerin based.

I am going to gather all my scrap and see what I have. I'll be back. :)

Well, I emptied a bunch of jars. Came up with about 6 grams of decent sift, about 8 grams of unknown hash (motor and pestle used to fine grind)and about 2 ounces of rosin chips. I have found the rosin chips are great for cooking. Maybe because the rosin is all on the top of the chip already from being pressed. And, I only press my stuff once so there's plenty of rosin left.

I also found a couple jars of what I remember to be Everclear extract. Having a little trouble getting it out of the tiny jars. I think I got most of it. Looks like about a gram.

It's all in the over decarbing....

View attachment butter-1.jpg

View attachment butter-2.jpg

View attachment butter-3.jpg

View attachment butter-4.jpg

Hack I take 3 00 caps of Bud/Trim At 6 am. It take about 1 Hours to get in the system. With a good Fat.I like Peanut butter. Today I could not take a second dose. I was still high at 1 Pm.
About 6 Hours.

Peanut butter is an awesome mix. Great oils and the taste overwhelms the pot taste. I do remember reading something about using organic PB since the jif and skippy types use a type of oil that doesn't mix well with pot. Probably hydrogenated oil.

Man, my house stinks. Between decarbing and 8 hours in the crock pot, the smell is almost overwhelming.

Kitchen is clean. Butter is in the fridge hardening. I used a cup of butter (2 sticks) with all the hash and sift. Brownies in the oven tomorrow. :)

Wow, these brownies turned out great. I ate a couple the other day and got a great buzz. Very rare for me. I gave some to friends with warning. LOL

I gave 2 brownies to a friend tonight at our gig and told him to eat less than half of one to start. He's an old stoner so he gobbled a whole one down in one bite. LOL Later on I saw him on the patio sitting in a chair. He looked a little spacey but, OK. I asked him if he got off and he just giggled and said, "I can't get out of this chair". LMAO I asked him, "Are you OK?". He said, "Yeah, I'm fine, I just can't move my legs". LMAO

My singer and lead guitar player ate some Sunday at practice and he said he was up all night. He said, "I learned my lesson last time on your Rice Krispie treats so I was ready". LOL

We played until almost 1 AM so I'll be beat tomorrow. Brownies and coffee are on the menu for breakfast. :)

Gotta luv edibles when they come out just right.

'night

Yum!

I am so looking forward to having a lot of trim and popcorn bud to make goodies. The older I get, the more I am getting into edibles, vapes, and tinctures.

Tell me about using the pucks you have pressed. How much is left in them and how exactly do you use them for cooking? I'm going to try and find several people to go in on a decent quality rosin press with me. I think that is how I want to make my concentrates. It scares me a lot to work with flammable stuff (I am just rather klutzy) and I like the idea of no poisonous solvents being used, like butane, naptha, iso.

I made some gummy bears a while ago. I used RSO and they taste a bit icky, but put me to sleep as they are meant to do. Next time I think I will use shatter/rosin. And I'm thinking of making cinnamon bears using cinnamon oil and Fireball instead of everclear.

Brownies look great! I will be joining you in spirit.

Cinnamon would definitely help with the taste.

HG, check out the picture in the second post. You can see all the chips sitting there on the foil. Looks like about 20 or 30 of them.

I'll see if I can get a close-up pic of one but after you press it, some of the rosin stays right on the surface. You can see it all gathered there. Most people press their stuff twice. I only press once because the second press always tastes a little burnt to me. Since taste is a big factor for me, I don't press twice. That leaves some rosin right at the surface of the chip.

I decarb them as usual and then toss them in the crock pot with the butter and water.

This way, nothing good goes into the dumpster.

I did see the chips. Taste is important to me, too, so I will probably just press once too. Especially as you can use them like you did and not lose a bit of the good stuff.

The best edibles I have made to date were made with chips. Maybe because the oil is right at the surface or something. Not real sure why. I always follow the 240F for 40 minutes policy and the chips edibles always come out better.

Can I freeze these brownies? I can't eat them fast enough before the go stale. I was going to eat a few today but it's a beautiful day and I am going bike riding. I love riding stoned but, no way on edibles. LOL Balance is definitely a factor that you have to consider with edibles and not smoking. At least for me.

I may try to freeze a couple just to find out.

Yummy, going to make some more brownies tonight.

I am decarbing 2 grams of rosin that I have had hanging around too long. To decarb the rosin, I put it in a Pyrex 1 cup measuring cup. Same one you all have, I'm sure. The bottom of this cup is actually pretty narrow and probably smaller than anything I have that's oven safe.

I placed it in a pyrex dish a little sideways so it stays in a smaller puddle.

After 40 at 240, I am going to put the butter right in the same measuring cup (with a 1/2 tsp of sunflower lecithin) and put it on a low heat on the stove. I am going to stir and stir and hope real hard that the rosin will blend in with the butter.

If I can get it to blend, I'll make a small batch of brownies.

Still not sure how this dosing thing figures but if the rosin is about 70% THC then 2 grams should be about 1400mg. I should be close to 700mg for a dose, yes? Seems like a gram of rosin is a lot to eat.

View attachment brownie-1.jpg

Bingo.

This was by far the easiest butter I have ever made. No cooking for hours. No straining. No muss, no fuss.

After the 40 at 240, I took the rosin out of the oven and added the butter, Since the cup was hot from being in the oven, the butter melted very nicely as I stirred with a whisk. The rosin blended better than I had ever hoped.

I did taste a little of the droppings but I'll save the full dose for tomorrow. Very tasty. Much better than butter I have made in the past.

If this works and I can repeat doses consistently, this will be my new method of making edibles. I wonder if this would mix as well with sugars. Yummy. I want to eat one now. LOL

View attachment brownie-2.jpg

They look great. They sound very strong to me...Be careful and have fun and enjoy.

Well, I ate 1 and didn't get much so I ate 2. That worked! LOL

I hurt my back at the gym last week so I have been laying around eating brownies. LOL

I am going to try to duplicate the dose and see if I can get some consistency in dosing.

6 brownies was 2 grams of rosin and 2 brownies got me there so that's about 2/3 gram of rosin or (assuming 60%) about 400 mg THC.

Does that sound right?

I'm now craving for the brownies.. Looks very delicious and tasty. Nice job Hack on making me hungry today.. I'm gonna buy brownies before I go home.

My recent brownies with rosin went very well. Ate the last of them today. ;)

I want to try some sugar based candy edibles next (vs the butter based)

One problem I am seeing is how to get the rosin evenly distributed in the candy mixture. Candy making is a fast paced procedure and there's not usually a lot of time to smoothly blend in a substance like rosin. I am thinking that it wold be better to have the rosin already desolved in one of the ingredients. Just like the rosin is blended with the butter before mixing all the brownie ingredients.

Problem is, there's only one real liquid in candy and that's honey (or sugar). Sugar is very critical on timing and becomes ready to pour and then hardens very quickly and I'm not even sure I can melt it twice without a problem. So, honey it is.

Now, I need to figure a way to blend the honey and the rosin. I'll try the obvious and easy method of simply heating the honey and hoping the rosin will melt and blend into it. I don't know what the smoke point (or overheat point, whatever) of honey is and I'm not sure what temp the rosin melts at. I'll have to do a little experimenting.

Once I get the rosin distributed into the honey evenly, the rest is a snap.

Looks like tomorrow's project. :)

Anyone with experience making canna honey or canna sugar of any kind, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks

Going to try to infuse honey today.

I have a 1/2 gram of rosin in the oven decarb'ing. When I get that out, I am going to mix the honey right into it and hope that it's hot enough to mix well. I do have some sunflower lecithin if it doesn't blend well.

This is tough because I am making such a small amount just to experiment. I don't have any pots or pans that are this small so I'm using the smallest Pyrex glass storage containers that I have, tilted on their side.

If I can get the rosin to blend with the honey.... then, I can make the candy. I don't have any gelatin so I can't make gummy bears. I saw a great recipe for Sugar Daddy's (remember those) that only uses honey, vanilla and a little almond butter.

The problem comes when I have to heat the honey to 350F (hard crack). A. That's borderline too hot for the THC turning to CBN and B. I don't have a saucepan small enough to put a tablespoon of honey in. LOL

This batch will only make a few pieces but it should be a good test.

Well, this turned out great. Much better than I anticipated.

While the rosin was decarb'ing, I put the honey in a small cream server. This works great for heating tiny amounts. It has a handle and sits fine on the stove top (forgot I had this). So, I heated the honey past boiling and then to a fast simmer. I don't think I got it to 300F and I couldn't find my candy thermometer so I am just guessing what temp it was.

I took the rosin out of the oven and poured the honey into the glass Pyrex dish. I was totally amazed. With very little stirring, the rosin completely dissolved into the honey. No specs or anything. Then, I added the vanilla and a teaspoon of crunchy peanut butter (didn't have time to make almond butter and didn't want to bother for this tiny amount).

So, I added the PB and Vanilla and stirred until it was all blended. Then, I poured it onto a piece of parchment paper and put it in the fridge.

After about 20 minutes in the fridge, it was not hard like a Sugar Daddy but, more like taffy. I can form it and shape it in my hands and it easily cuts and serves.

I tasted a tiny edge but I am about to munch it down so I'll let you know how it tastes. :)

Sorry, I didn't get any pics but, honestly, I didn't expect this to work very well. :)

Since I have been experimenting and reading about edibles recently, I have learned a few things. Probably the most important is.......

TAKE WITH FOOD

This has made a major difference in the way I am affected by pot edibles. And, according to most of what I read, fatty foods are the best.

Just thought I would pass that on. Anyone else ever notice the gigantic difference between edibles on a full vs empty stomach?

Another thing I learned, and, I guess this is more opinion than fact.....

Rosin is the only way to go.

Making edibles from this rosin is soooooo easy. No straining. No cheesecloth. No burned hands squeezing hot butter sacks. No muss or fuss at all. The rosin just melts right into the fat/sugar that you're using. Plus, it makes dosing so much easier.

I still have one major hurdle to overcome.......

Taste.

It seems no matter what you use or how you do it, there is always a trace hint of cannabis taste. And, I must admit, cannabis is some nasty tasting ****. LOL

So, I am on a quest to find a spice, herb, whatever that will "negate" or "balance" the taste of cannabis. I don't mean just something stronger that will overwhelm the taste of the cannabis. But, rather something that will actually balance it just as we use a sweetener like honey to balance the bitterness of collard greens. Or, using lemon with mayonnaise. I cook a lot so I'll bet I can find a nice balance.

We'll soon find out. LOL

Latest posts

Back