Crawling out from under a rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screwdriver

Chopperest Member
Reaction score
Not much happening under my rock so I thought I'd come out and try for another round. For a long time it has felt like such a huge undertaking to setup up everything to get going again. Then it took me less than a half a day to gather components, assemble and test my cabinet. I can be stupid like that sometimes. Then the excitement of dropping seeds.....Then more seeds.....more seeds. Until I used up my supply from 11/07. Not one popped. Drepression has set in.
I was going to try plan b but I forgot to plan for that in plan a.

Plan B should be to get some fresh beans and Germinate them babies.
How did you attempt to germinate the ones you had?

i am on plan H or so by now. keep working and learning.

I germinate seeds in a glass wrapped with a paper towel and a bit of water in the bottom. Learned that in kindergarten. It satisfies my need to see progress.
Fresh seeds are what I need but no way to obtain. Ill have a hard enough time digging around for crappy seeds but Im in the game.
The seeds I used I made a long time ago. Didnt think I would be gone so long. Didnt have much hope they would pop but I had to try them.

Ive popped some pretty old seeds. Did ya use a little sandpaper on the seeds?

Years ago I had a 4 ounce bag full of old seeds.

Because it would have been a felony for me to possess them at that time I was paranoid about having so many seeds.

One early morning I went to a wildlife preserve with the seeds.

I went off road to some places that were out of the way. I would stop at the river and throw out seeds here and there.

Later that year I read about some massive marijuana grows found along the river. No one was ever arrested.

I have always wondered if some of those old seeds popped.....

No, I didn't use sandpaper. It was too far away to retrieve. Thought about using a knife, that only 2 feet away but my mind-muscle coordination didnt kick in.
The seeds were probably not stored well enough.
I think with enough seeds one could have popped but I only had a small amount.
Learning patience.

Since you have none of the seeds left the following may relevant for others:
“Gibberellic Acid-3 (GA-3) is a naturally occurring plant growth regulator which may cause a variety of effects including the stimulation of seed germination in some cases. GA-3 occurs naturally in the seeds of many species and is produced commercially by growing Gibberella fujikuroi fungus cultures in vats, then extracting and purifying the GA-3. Presoaking seeds in GA-3 solution will in many cases cause the rapid germination of many types of highly dormant seeds which would otherwise need cold treatment, after-ripening or ageing, or other prolonged pretreatments.” I have no experience with this, but it is on my e-bay buy list for comparison to colloidal silver in other experiments

Proper seed storage: mine are in a small Tupperware container in the meat keeper of my second refrigerator. Seeds will last years, pollen up to a couple of weeks. Dry, cold, and minimal temperature variance are the keys to storage. A week or so to dry the seeds a few hours to dry pollen.

Latest posts

Back