starting seeds under HPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggy4105

The grass is greener...
Reaction score
i was wondering if i could use my HPS from start to finnish,and what problems i may come across along the way?

shuggy4105 said:
i was wondering if i could use my HPS from start to finnish,and what problems i may come across along the way?
I would say HEAT to be the only problem. Just make sure you keep that light atleast 24 inches away from your babies or they will BURN. You might even wanna go higher depending on how hot it is in your grow room.

thanx for that "TBG",i was also wanting to know what the optimum distance would be from light to plant?as my plants are starting to burn,i think it`s because the HPS is too low,around 15" i beleive(wk 3 of flower).
i just bought the HPS to begin flower,the plants are getting on well however they look as though they are drying out(no discolouration,or very little).this has just became a problem as i re-positioned my fan last night,which has stopped dispersing the heat from the plant tops.
i`ve gave them a spray(water only)and they look better.
i`m about to go to my night cycle,while that`s happening i will raise my light another 10" or so,think that will sort it?:bong:

I would give it a shot. You should always have your 400 watt hps atleast 12 to 24 inches away from the tops. In your case 24 inches might be good. Give it a shot and let's see what happens. ;)

Keep it higher.. thats what ive learned! I have a 1000 watt and i keep it about 36 inches above, and it still gets hott!!

careful!

cheers berserker71 that should come in handy man.
what are the numbers on the actual graph,is that lumen out-put?
thanx anyway m8.
:bongin: :bongin:

Hey shuggy,

If you take a look at our FP closet journal. You will see that we started from seed with the hps. It is quite possible and works fine. Next time we will be starting with the mh due to seing some great results from other growers. In addition to the hps, beware the heat. Without a thermoter you could be at dangerous temperatures and not know. At one point we were at 116 F. Not cool. Efficient air in and out is needed.

can you post a link to your grow journal FP?

i put my seedlings under my 400 watt HPS directly with about 18-20 inches of space. Don´t have a problem with growth, burning, or heat. I have an intake fan blowing directly over their heads and an exhaust up above. Here are some pics. The only thing is i fuct up and put some ferts on early so I think i may stunted their growth or affected their leaves. But these babies are only 12 days old.

CIMG0584.JPG

CIMG0580.JPG

Keep us up to date on yer grow kindphriend,looks lively!

Latest posts

Back