New to the forum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHippy

Reaction score
Thought it was time for me to stop reading and say hello to everyone.
Working on moving from outdoor growing to indoor.
Moving from soil to hydro.
Enough with that and back to reading.
WoodHippy

Welcome to our home WoodHippy. From dirt to water? very cool. Glad you are here. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Welcome to MP! Boy, big changes in the works. Going from outdoor to indoor is a huge thing...and can cost a penny or two. Going to hydro is also a big change. There are a ton of people here who will be able to help you with growroom set up and any hydro questions you may have.

Thanks All. I will take it slow. I got some t8 I start garden plants with. I think I have decided on 600 watt dimmable MH/HPS.
Question I will have.
WoodHippy

I'm going to recommend that you look at T5s for vegging. The T8s put out substantially less light--so much so that it is hard to get enough lumens to cover the footprint that the fixture puts out. What you need to start garden plants and the needs of vegging cannabis is quite a bit different.

The 600W is a nice sized light. Are you planning on using a tent, a closet, or building something? Remember that a 600W is only going to cover about 12-15 sq ft. You will also need fans for your space.

Have you decided on a hydro method? For hydro a decent pH pen or meter and something to measure EC will be necessities as pH is so critical in hydro. Love hydro!

go with T5HO's. well worth it. i don't see myself using any other light for veg for a long time.

Yep,,,HOT5s. I have even flowered with them.

Good eve all. I just looked at the T5 HO Sun blaze 6 tube. I could get that. And then 4 or so month down the road get my HPS set up.
For the hydro setup I want to try DWC.
Will try a soil grow indoors first.
As for the grow Area. It is the unused bathroom.(will be using the tub area) All the get have kids of there own. And almost no one ever comes to the house.
Woodhippy

An unused bathroom is a great place, especially if you are doing DWC. I ran a grow in a closet right off my master bathroom for many years. Having water and a drain right there sure makes it easier.

I have 3 different T5s and also cannot imagine me vegging indoors with anything else. While it won't be 4 months before you need the HPS, it will be a couple of months, so you do have some time. I also encourage you to shop around. There can be great differences in price between products that are very similar. I also highly recommend getting an air coolable hood--it makes it so much easier to cool the light.

And why not run at least 1 DWC plant your first go round? You can use an individual 5 gal bucket (my personal preference) and put it right along side your soil plant. The nutrients will only need a bit of tweaking to the pH to work for hydro, too. This way if you do have a hydro disaster (no reason to think you will, but it can happen), you still have your soil plant. A lot of people are afraid of hydro when first starting out, but I personally find it easier than organic.

THG I will take your advice into play. The HPS/MH will be air cooled. I found later last night. A Vivogrow 8 bay for 125 bucks. How much cooler will this be over MH.
Time to move down to the lights section.
Woodhippy

When you say 8 bay, do you mean an 8 tube fixture? Is this a 4' or a 2' fixture. If it is a 4' fixture, then the price is good. If you are talking a 2' fixture, then not great. It will run substantially cooler than a MH...but in all fairness, you will probably be running less wattage with T5s than if you ran a MH. All lighting puts out heat that needs to be dealt with though. This usually entails a centrifuge type fan for air exchange and an oscillating fan to move the air around.

Do you have a space picked, are you going to use a tent? What are your plans for your space?

Welcome to MP Wood Hippy !-- I'm a water pharmer myself !-- Just kinda fell into it !-- I make my own aero boxes !-- If the kids got kids then that makes U an old fart !-- Stop by and see us at the (O.F.C.)- Home of the Old Farts Club in the coffee table section !-- Lots of people around that grow weed lots of different ways !-- U got a question someone at MP gonna have the answer !-

Latest posts

Back