My first grow (lets watch together).

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clever_intuition

Reaction score
Hello everybody I will post this again as I only got 1 reply on it the first time. This is my first grow. I will tell you all about my set up, how I started, what I am doing now and show you pictures. All I ask for is creative/constructive criticism. My hopes are not high on this as is is my first time but I am going to try to create something beautiful.

I started by planting a seed (just regs from a decent bag) in to a pot of soil. I left it outside in a spot where the sun hits it for about 8 hours a day. It took about 1 week to sprout and within days it was about an 1/2 inch tall. I kept the soil very moist at all times. Within 2 weeks it was 2 inches tall so I decided to transplant in to a 5 gallon bucket.

This bucket I am using has holes drilled into the bottom of it (about 25 1/4" holes)and I placed it into another 5 gallon bucket in order to catch the draining water.

The soil I am using is very fine, from my backyard. It has organic mulch (compost) mixed throughout it. I don't know the PH of the soil but from what I hear 'Marijuana is a weed and will adapt to anything as long as it has been that way since the start?'

I then moved it to a closet in my house that has an attic vent/fan (hoping to relieve the oder eventually. The closet is painted white and is about 9 feet high, 4 feet deep and 3 feet wide. I started off using a 24" soft white fluorescent light and two 14 watt energy saving light bulbs, I kept the lights about 1" away from the plant. Within 4 weeks the plant was about 3 inches tall and has 2 sets of leaves with the third starting.

I just now have gotten two 48" fluorescent with 2 fixtures each. The light I have bought for it are EcoLux bulbs by 'GE lighting', They are 40 watts a piece and produce 3000 lumens a piece (Thats 12,000 lumes total). Since I have gotten these lights the plant has started to really take off (I have the light on 24 hours a day for right now). It is now going on 6 weeks and the plant is about 7" tall.

For fertilizer I am using the compost mixed within the soil and Fish Emulsion (2% Nitrogen, 4% available phosphate, 0.5%soluble potash). I just got the fish emulsion today and today is a watering day (I usually do a cup of water every other day and feed once a month?) so I mixed 1 teaspoon with 1 Qt of water and feed and watered the plant. That is four times the water I usually give it so I will hold off a few days before watering again.

Right now I have my lights sitting vertically around the plant and have a fan running on it 24 hours.

I think I hit everything?......If I did miss something feel free to ask about it.
I would like comments, questions.....all of your knowledge.

The four pictures below are 1st: two weeks; 2nd: three weeks 3rd: four weeks and 4th: fifth week (the pictures were taken with my camera phone so they are not so good but they do work)

p.s. I think I am around 6 weeks. I brought the plant inside on June 30th....It was two weeks old by then I believe.

2 weeks.jpg

3 weeks.jpg

4 weeks.jpg

5 weeks.jpg

Here is a picture of my baby at 6 weeks one over view and one side view. I am also posting a picture of my set up if any one was confused by it.
She (hopefully) seems to be doing really well.

Again these pictures are with my cell phone so they are not the best. I will have a digi tomorrow and get some better shots of it.

This is great! at 6 weeks if I do not have the fan running the whole closet fills up with the smell of growing greens!:D

6 weeks.jpg

Side view at 6 weeks.jpg

My set up.jpg

You Are Now Addicted To Growing,, You Will Grow The Rest Of Your Lifen Ha Ha Ha ,, It Is A Fun Hobbie,, Just Remember As A First Time Grower Dont Get Exited When Your Plant Is Big And Budding And Start Showing People,,thats How Lots Of People Get Bagged Cuz They Always Have To Show That Someone,, I Myself Am Not To Familiar With Indoor Grow Ops Im And Outdoor Guy,, Your Plant Looks Healthy And Real Good,, And Good Luck With Your Growing

clever_intuition said:
Here is a picture of my baby at 6 weeks one over view and one side view. I am also posting a picture of my set up if any one was confused by it.
She (hopefully) seems to be doing really well.

Again these pictures are with my cell phone so they are not the best. I will have a digi tomorrow and get some better shots of it.

This is great! at 6 weeks if I do not have the fan running the whole closet fills up with the smell of growing greens!:D
well my friend a little tip your soil will need some perlite sand and grable marijuana plants likes to be dry you need to let the soil dry give time to those roots to breath

3patas said:
well my friend a little tip your soil will need some perlite sand and grable marijuana plants likes to be dry you need to let the soil dry give time to those roots to breath

I do have gravel and small rocks mixed in with the dirt...I am sorry I neglected to mention that. No perlite though. I have been watering it every other day but I just saw on a post that this person actually lets his leaves start to turn down before he waters.....So I might try that if it sounds safe to the rest of you?

hey they look very good but a little tip your sand will need some sand ,perlite,and grable you need to let that soil dry a little so the roots can breath and the lights are to close 3 inches apart is optimal good luck

sorry fore the same tip just read the bottom part and dont let the leaf drop that mihgt cause the plant to stress and hermie the plant in the future good luck

3patas said:
hey they look very good but a little tip your sand will need some sand ,perlite,and grable you need to let that soil dry a little so the roots can breath and the lights are to close 3 inches apart is optimal good luck

Thanks 3patas, My goal is to get another 2 light housings and set them 5" away from the plant, 1 on each side of the bucket (If you want to call them sides). With a board on top to hold them in place. This should give plenty of room to bush out and grow up with a full spectrum of light on the whole plant.

Clever,

just a couple of things.

1. PH is important to your plant. PERIOD
Its been proven, at certain PH levels your plant can absorb certain
nutrients and etc. Any experienced grower will tell you that PH
is actuallly very vital. Yes they can grow/live.. But you want
the best potential. No point of growing if you gonna grow some ** MJ.
Check your PH and adjust it then water your plants. With corrected PH.

2. If you can, get better lighting.

3. Your plants look OK, but IMO is very small.
My plants at 4 weeks is almost double your size. Even my
3 week old plants are substatially larger than yours.

4. Toss your home made soil. bite the bullet and buy some
Good soil, like Fox farm Ocean forest or equilvalent.
You'll be rewarded down the road.

Goodluck

MrPuffAlot said:
Clever,

just a couple of things.

1. PH is important to your plant. PERIOD
Its been proven, at certain PH levels your plant can absorb certain
nutrients and etc. Any experienced grower will tell you that PH
is actuallly very vital. Yes they can grow/live.. But you want
the best potential. No point of growing if you gonna grow some ** MJ.
Check your PH and adjust it then water your plants. With corrected PH.

2. If you can, get better lighting.

3. Your plants look OK, but IMO is very small.
My plants at 4 weeks is almost double your size. Even my
3 week old plants are substatially larger than yours.

4. Toss your home made soil. bite the bullet and buy some
Good soil, like Fox farm Ocean forest or equilvalent.
You'll be rewarded down the road.

Goodluck

Thank you for the words MrPuffAlot. I am working on more lighting, I am thinking about HPS and MH, At the current moment money is tight though so I am just trying to make do. If I get 2 more housings with 4 more lights like I have now, that will be 24000 lumens/320 watts total how does that sound?.

Soil......I will look into that this week but I am more than scared of trying to transplant this baby, as it may not be as large as yours it is how ever about 8-9" tall and about the same across. The last thing I want to do is kill it by not doing it right.

I do hear that Ph is important and at the same time I will try to get to my local nursery to see what they have, if they have anything that will help me. I live in a one horse town so things can be hard to find. If you have any suggestions about how to do any of these or where to get the right supplies please feel free to let me know.

I appreciate your help.

Just remember, when you buy your soil.

You want a SOIL that is :

1. Light weight that drains real real good.

2. With no NUTES.

by no means im no expert. Im just passing on the things ive learned.
If you go to Organic subforum, you can see the Soil mixes the
experts put together.

hell.. Go straight Perlite (sp) its not even soil.
I may take that route next go around.

Someone here grew in straight perlite, and his plant
was amazing.

MrPuffAlot said:
Just remember, when you buy your soil.

You want a SOIL that is :

1. Light weight that drains real real good.

2. With no NUTES.

by no means im no expert. Im just passing on the things ive learned.
If you go to Organic subforum, you can see the Soil mixes the
experts put together.

hell.. Go straight Perlite (sp) its not even soil.
I may take that route next go around.

Someone here grew in straight perlite, and his plant
was amazing.

Thanks man, I might just try the perlite idea. Do you think it will affect the roots of the plant going from dirt to this?

I think they look good, and what a pretty green. Keep lovin em. ;)

I am hopefully going to get some new soil tomorrow and try a transplant. I will see if I can find some lime as well. I am wondering if there is a soil with a good reputation that can be bought any where?

Ok I have gotten my new soil (Miriclegrow organic / No added nutes). I followed Mutts way of starting a soil pot. I added about 2" of gravel to the bottom of the bucket and mixed sand with the soil as well as two TBSP of hydrated lime.

I then watered the soil to compact it a bit and transplanted it from my other pot that contained backyard soil (I am hopeing that this does not effect the plant too much:eek:)

I have also bought a nifty little guage that reads moisture, ph and light. I will take pictures of the plant in a few days to see how it is reacting to the new environment.:cool:

p.s. I forgot all about the perlite :(

My plant is trying. I think the transplant put some straine on it. The two single bottom leaves have became yellow and the leaves are droopy (but still really green). Here is hoping that she (hopefully) is going to pull through.:cool:

Here are the pictures of my plant two days after my transplant, Does not look so well but is still pretty green. :(*Note the two bottom leaves that are yellow* Those only became like that after the transplant.

After transplant (Age 6 weeks).jpg

6 weeks top 6 weeks overview.jpg

Latest posts

Back