Sopappy's so so grows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is that black and white 6miL (?) poly, (panda film) I just started doing this over a couple CW tubes and no issue, it's barely warm to the touch.
But I'm draping this one over 2 4' T5 HO 52W tubes and the plastic does get warm to the touch,
I keep lifting it off the fixture and no sticking, it's outside the grow rooms, kinda cool part of the basement, I like the protection for the seedlings but don't want to burn the place down either :)
Can it be too bright for seedlings, they seem fine.

View attachment 101_0042.jpg

View attachment 101_0040.jpg

Wow, you got babies all over the place.. have fun. looks like a nice spot for them

Wow, you got babies all over the place.. have fun. looks like a nice spot for them

yup, and no room at the inn either.... I was thinking I'd get 10% germ from some seeds from seeded grows few years back and I got almost all of them up, males, hermies, gawd knows what's all in there....
all these nice new labels I got too and i have to leave them blank.

You shouldve called this journal "sopappys box of chocolate grow" he never knows what hes gonna get....lol

I laughed 'til I cried, Lasso, so true. Lad was just over today and we were discusing the merits of jars 6, 7 and 8 which were most excellent and 4 and 5 which, unfortunately are filler for hash joints.

It doesn't stop there either, my equipment mocks me.
I'm a bit of a packrat and saved the holes I cut out of the two inch foam board for the trays.
I knocked over a stack of them and I left that one in the corner just the way it fell.

View attachment 101_0046.jpg

View attachment 101_0045.jpg

Awesome. I like that guy....he looks he he knows what you're up to. And he approves

You shouldve called this journal "sopappys box of chocolate grow" he never knows what hes gonna get....lol
I certainly hope he doesn't call the thread that, that's one of my strains. BoC = chocolate thai x coco kush.

what can I do about this algae? I use a little H2O2 when I prep my water.
First time I've run in to this and all i use is hydroton now
light is on 24hrs, I water twice a day
not happening in the net pots
can i ignore it, they'll be transplanted in to net pots in couple weeks

View attachment 101_0050.jpg

I don't remember reading this in the manual. Cost me a probe :-(

NEVER STORE THE pH ELECTRODE IN PURIFIED WATER

Storing the pH electrode in purified water (RO, DI, or distilled) will shorten the life of your pH electrode. The reference cell has a high salt solution. Placing the probe in purified water will cause the salt to diffuse out and the water to go in. Storage solution is not only formulated to maintain the reference salt concentration but also has chemicals to keep bacteria and fungus from growing in the solution. If storage solution is not available then use pH 4 buffer.

http://hannainst.com/ph-electrode-maintenance-calibration-guide

milwakkee probe arrived and they say white vinegar wash and rinse under tap is okay
pH 3.5 storage is okay too

his rootball was odd looking, only that one strand went anywhere, the transplanting is not going as smoothly as I'd hoped. I.m really regretting tossing all those seeds in the tray, i never thought that many would sprout! I've got about 60 more plants than I can handle, but great practice I guess and many don't survive long.

RANT
those shitty looking yellowing green ones are Sweet Gold, frail fussy things, free seeds, 12 week flower, thanks for nothing, who the hell ever heard of sweet gold, some dumb hard to grow cross with acapoco gold I suppose, nothing on internet
I couldn't have thrown THESE 10 seeds down the drain instead of the Jack Herer, nooooooooooooooooooo
getting off to a bad start here

View attachment 101_0055.jpg

View attachment 101_0060.jpg

I look at that odd rootball and wonder if there's any point in leaving the air gap in those tubs. 8 plants sit in 8 holes, 2" thick foam board, tray on top of reservoir, pump always on up to tray and back through overflow. No bubblers.
The plant doesn't seem to be using the air gap or are those roots taking oxygen from the air. I can't see them drowning if there's still the top 2 inches of dry pellets. (5" net pots)
I can also ebb and flow but I haven't been doing that what with the re-circulating but I can't see harm other than too much oxygen HA!

I think you said it already about he roots looking wierd...no bubbler. Get rid of the air gap and add a bubbler. Or ebb and flow. But either way get rid of the air gap. These roots dont grow in the air. They need either oxygenated solution or a substrate. Otherwise they become more like stems like in the pic.
By the way....i come for the grow but I stay for the rants.

I think you said it already about he roots looking wierd...no bubbler. Get rid of the air gap and add a bubbler. Or ebb and flow. But either way get rid of the air gap. These roots dont grow in the air. They need either oxygenated solution or a substrate. Otherwise they become more like stems like in the pic.
By the way....i come for the grow but I stay for the rants.

Check. I raised the overflow and have the water licking the bottom of the pots now, I say licking because it's always moving. I'm hesitating on the bubblers. G13 had me pull those and my pH settled right down. I also drain the tray to the tub 4 times a day and it re-fills after 15 minutes.

Just hooked my RO that I don't really need but I like the fresh start thing.
I'm filling 2 40L bins (figure 4 hours each) to use next change.
No bubbling, the feeder hose from RO is at ceiling dropping 4'
In 4 hours, I'll drop in a flume and 10mL H2O2
(another 4 hours with other bin)
nutes, week 3 veg, 100 call mag, 200 A+B grow
I have tried the myco thing, diluted syringed couple times over pellets
what am I missing? micro-nutes now?

View attachment drip.JPG

Here's the survivors of my Hail Mary seeding in hydroton attempt. Carefully placing the seeds amongst the pellets didn't work but scattering a handful across the top did, should be easy enough to replicate next time.
yes, that's a boot tray under cool whites, refugee camp, it's cold too
some are doing really well, and they are all about the same age +/- a week or so
(except those two pos sweet 12weeks)

View attachment camp.jpg

View attachment trays.jpg

View attachment pink.jpg

Just hooked my RO that I don't really need but I like the fresh start thing.
I'm filling 2 40L bins (figure 4 hours each) to use next change.
No bubbling, the feeder hose from RO is at ceiling dropping 4'
In 4 hours, I'll drop in a flume and 10mL H2O2
(another 4 hours with other bin)
nutes, week 3 veg, 100 call mag, 200 A+B grow
I have tried the myco thing, diluted syringed couple times over pellets
what am I missing? micro-nutes now?

I didnt like my ro filter at first either. Caution though...i used a similar bin when i first started. I filled it with water and as i was mixing solution it burst like a water balloon. I didnt consider the weight of that much water. Prob not the exact one though. Just beware of any bulging or stretch marks in the plastic. Your Grow is looking good.

I didnt like my ro filter at first either. Caution though...i used a similar bin when i first started. I filled it with water and as i was mixing solution it burst like a water balloon. I didnt consider the weight of that much water. Prob not the exact one though. Just beware of any bulging or stretch marks in the plastic. Your Grow is looking good.

I'll take a closer look at those (and others) bins, yikes.

The waste was bugging me but I dump a lot in the washer and some jugs too. I also flush the membrane before (and after) use for 2 min,
I'm saving that water for drinking.
I remove 50ppm from city water, my filtres should last awhile.
and I may end up having to add back 50ppm to steady the pH

just read another tip to put a bubbling bucket between RO out and DI cartridge (bubbling removes CO2, increases DI life)

Latest posts

Back