Can too much heat from the sun stress a plant out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbridge

Veteran Stoner
Reaction score
I live in the Los Angeles area of Southern California. This last August was a blazer. For the entire month, the lowest temp we got out here was 88 degrees. We had about 10 days of triple digit temps in a row. I watered my plants just about every single day. They survived, but the heat seemed to stress out my buds. Instead of them being dank, they are fluffy. I tested a few buds from each plant and they smell and taste good and get you high, but the texture is not all that great and I know it will affect my yeild.
Some people have told me that marijuana thrives in Southern Cali heat. We live in semi-arid desert out here. So my question is, can too much heat from the sun affect an outdoor grow during flower season? Thanks for your replies.

88 aint bad niether is 100 really...the added heat increase resin production from what Ive read...if the fan leafs start drooping bad..I would consider misting around them to raise humity and give them a drink

take care and be safe

Good question. supposedly anything above 90 and your plants are not growing as much, more like a stasis period. next time keep track of how many days over 90 you had and around harvest time let it go that many more days and it should bring u back up to par yield wise.

Hope not. MY ac went down and my tent got to 115 degrees before I caught it.

90 degree mark is just what i go by experience. if your keeping the roots cool enough im sure 90 isnt a problem. im indoors only and tend to stray away from sativa dom strains. different strains will tolerate more heat than others, sativas take especially well to the heat and some wont do well without it.

Rosenthal says that photosynthisis begins to slow at about 85 degrees and at 105 stops. The plants are okay, just not growing optimally. When the temps drop again the plants start growing again. I haven't tested this yet, but it is in his book they use as a text book for Oaksterdam university.

nice reference, i knew i read somthing about it somewhere. whenever ive had problems its been around 95ish, so now my rule of thumb is 90 degrees or less.

Latest posts

Back