White pistils turning brown prematurely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtyCannabis

Reaction score
I am only week 4 into my flowering stage. I noticed some of my pistils are turning brown. Its not in one specific area. I notice some at the bottom, the middle, and close to the top.

I only have 2 plants, and they are both females, only.
I have them under a 600w HPS
I have them under a strict 12/12 cycle. Digital timer.
72-75 Degrees
I feed them twice a day. Gen Hyd flora series
Big bud formula
I keep the light atleast 12 inches away

Any thoughts?

com now OGKush...read his post again brother..but first back off that Dank of yours:stoned:

Atrycannabis.....if ya have a good magnifier...look close look at the sectiuone that hasnt had the hairs turn red.....look for bannanna looking things..Im sure you will see you have a hermie in the Garden....My friend OGKush likes to verify by pics..But Ill bet My Shed on what ya find...So sorry..and hope its not the only Pant ya have...

take care nad be safe

Run them out and pluck the bannanas as said every time ya can..if at worst..you can make some good oil/Hash...let me know if I can help ya my friend..Im here on the trail

:48:

well first off... What are you growing? you didn't say what strain or type of plants they were?

How much of it in a rough % is actually turning red/brown? if you're only seeing a couple little bits here and there I don't think you need to worry. Typically I'd say between 8-10 weeks is an average flowering time. Each strain and plant is different though give or take a day/week.

If there is a fair amount though, I would lean towards agreement with 4u2sm0ke. Perhaps there was something along the way that stressed them into hermies so it's directing some energy towards dropping seeds to make sure it has babies. It'll just end up meaning you'll lose some quality and density to seed production but you'll still get usable ganj out of the finale.

I unfortunately had some hermies in my last grow too but still got about a QP along with about 150 or so healthy seeds that will probably find their way onto a hillside somewhere sunny these next few weeks :D

about 150 or so healthy seeds that will probably find their way onto a hillside somewhere sunny these next few weeks

hermies procreate hermies... essentially, you have 'selectively' bred FOR that characteristic... PULEEZE.. destroy those 'poison pills"! :(

You said that you feed them twice a day? What exactly is your watering and feeding schedule? That doesn't seem right to me unless you are in hydro and by "feeding" you mean that they are being watered twice a day. If you are in soil and watering/feeding twice a day then you have a problem there.

4u2sm0ke said:
com now OGKush...read his post again brother..but first back off that Dank of yours:stoned:

Atrycannabis.....if ya have a good magnifier...look close look at the sectiuone that hasnt had the hairs turn red.....look for bannanna looking things..Im sure you will see you have a hermie in the Garden....My friend OGKush likes to verify by pics..But Ill bet My Shed on what ya find...So sorry..and hope its not the only Pant ya have...

take care nad be safe

Yep...brown means hermie imhe

Partybro--you really need to destroy those seeds--to me that's like planting noxious weeds.

Hairs that turn red/brown prematurely often means that the plant has been pollinated, which is why we are asking about nanners. However other things can cause this. We need more info about your grow--how you are growing, ppms, pH. Big Bud Formula--what does that mean? What strain? Where did you get the seeds (bagseed is notorious for hermying). The more you tell us, the better we can help.

Hushpuppy said:
You said that you feed them twice a day? What exactly is your watering and feeding schedule? That doesn't seem right to me unless you are in hydro and by "feeding" you mean that they are being watered twice a day. If you are in soil and watering/feeding twice a day then you have a problem there.
THis is EXACTLY what I was getting at in my first post 4u2...

If its soil and you feed them that much you are drowning them . You drown them and they die/pistils turn brown. water logged and root rot.;)

I dont like to verify by pics, he said he knew they were female, didnt say medium... I just didnt get enough info in the original post. But i may take that bet.... and your shed:rolleyes:

I feed them twice a day. Gen Hyd flora series

I assumed by this part that it was hydro....but I could be way off!

I dont like to assume, the wrong advice always gets thrown around...thats why i want to know more before I diagnose.

*Pics would certainly answer our questions though. :D

:peace:

OGKushman said:
THis is EXACTLY what I was getting at in my first post 4u2...

If its soil and you feed them that much you are drowning them . You drown them and they die/pistils turn brown. water logged and root rot.;)

I dont like to verify by pics, he said he knew they were female, didnt say medium... I just didnt get enough info in the original post. But i may take that bet.... and your shed:rolleyes:

:rofl:

well I know I have drowned many of plants in my time...Not sure the hairs turned.....???...I have also had me share of Hermi...please dont think I was comeing down on yas..I wasnt....You are a great/experienced grower and I know that...is why I asked...I still think its hermie...and you can have the Shed ...my season almost finished:p..was thinking setup in a School Bus:spit:

take care and be safe

:postpicsworthless:
OGKushman said:
I dont like to assume, the wrong advice always gets thrown around...thats why i want to know more before I diagnose.

*Pics would certainly answer our questions though. :D

:peace:

:postpicsworthless:

Its 4:45 PM here. I got to wait, until 6PM; to look for Bananas. Though I look for things like this everyday. I only see white hairs.

Yes, i add the GH Flora Series to a gallon of water. I feed my plants twice a day. When the flowering stage started. I added Big bud formula to the feed.

I am growing 2 different strains. Sour diesel & White Rhino. I have a camera, but cant get it focused correctly, to catch those small areas. it is only in a few areas I am seeing these brown hairs.

These 2 strains are said to be, 55-65 days Flowering time. I am only at 4 weeks atm.

So you are growing in soil? If so, you need to let the plants dry out between watering. Twice a day watering and feeding is not needed and not good for them--the roots are deprived of oxygen if they are kept wet all the time. You also do not need to feed every time you water.

The Hemp Goddess said:
So you are growing in soil? If so, you need to let the plants dry out between watering. Twice a day watering and feeding is not needed and not good for them--the roots are deprived of oxygen if they are kept wet all the time. You also do not need to feed every time you water.

Yes, soil. I started watering twice a day, cause by the time the Dark period comes. The soil is dry. What if I switch to a once a day feeding & a once a day watering? or, do I just let it stay dry during the dark period?

Hick said:
hermies procreate hermies... essentially, you have 'selectively' bred FOR that characteristic... PULEEZE.. destroy those 'poison pills"! :(

I can guarentee that they won't last long enough to actually drop any seeds, people here are vultures. If kids don't take them they'll be destroyed by deer eating them or leo anyway if they're not watched.

The conditions here outside aren't suitable for growing outdoors more than 1/3 of the year so anything that was growing after august would not survive outdoors without a greenhouse.

I don't see what the real harm would be in seeding a little hillside. it might not be some sensi but someone will find it and be happy.

Also... There's no way that you can be giving them enough water in the first place to have them dry out like that in soil before the night cycle...

I water/feed ONCE a week in soil. What size are your containers?? and how much water/food are you giving each plant at one specific time?

and if you can be a bit more specific than "a few areas" like give us a rough % of the whole plant that you see brown/red on. like if it's got a few brown hairs on a couple of buds randomly that would equate to something like < 5%

PartyBro420 said:
Also... There's no way that you can be giving them enough water in the first place to have them dry out like that in soil before the night cycle...

I water/feed ONCE a week in soil. What size are your containers?? and how much water/food are you giving each plant at one specific time?

and if you can be a bit more specific than "a few areas" like give us a rough % of the whole plant that you see brown/red on. like if it's got a few brown hairs on a couple of buds randomly that would equate to something like < 5%

3 gallon containers. I go according to the directions for feeding. 2 Teaspoons of micro, bloom, and Gro per gallon of water. 2 cups twice a day.

Areas. Ok, at the bottom I see browning on 1 pistil bush. In the middle, i see it on 2 pistil bushes. Close to the top 1. i would say less then 5%.

PS - So far, i only see it on my Diesel plant. Not the Rhino.

Latest posts

Back