Anyone Here Make Wine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiamondJim420

Reaction score
I've been making wine for about 3 years now. Just wondering if anyone else here does...

Makes wine time to time but mostly some beer and shine too ifin I have time. workin in plants as well as tryin to brew do take up way lots of time I just dont have regular so I mostly grows for me pouch. Made a very nice white wine once called craps I cant member it now but it will come give me a couple threads to member it.

BWD

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Makes wine time to time but mostly some beer and shine too ifin I have time. workin in plants as well as tryin to brew do take up way lots of time I just dont have regular so I mostly grows for me pouch. Made a very nice white wine once called craps I cant member it now but it will come give me a couple threads to member it.

BWD

I made some killer strawberry wine one time from CostCo frozen strawberries. Mostly though, I make sweet red wines from Island Mist wine kits (fruity wines). Great sippers while enjoying the herb.

my lil brother makes beer,shine, and a cheap wine lol...
lil tike has more money invested in his brewing than i have all these yrs in my gro.. lol..

definatly something i would like to dabble in...
LH

I am with BWD, except that I haven't ever distilled whisky. I usually brew beer, but I have made some wine using Welch's and a wine yeast. It tasted like paint thinner.

HOCK! I think that wine I was rememberin was called HOCK it was very nice white wine very tasty and clean. Beer can be used to strip varnish from old funiture but it drinks fine most times spit some chucks out of it as yur drinks it and needs to swollow twice to gut it good but me shine shines!!! Rip the enamal right from yur teeth makin yur eyes bleed and singin arse hairs with gas it be causin but YEEEEEEEHHHHAAAAAAA she be wakin yu up in the mornin fur sure.

BWD

YYZ Skinhead said:
I am with BWD, except that I haven't ever distilled whisky. I usually brew beer, but I have made some wine using Welch's and a wine yeast. It tasted like paint thinner.

Many of Welch's juices contain preservatives which inhibit fermentation.

Try a wine kit from Island Mist, or other manufacturers. Wine kits have all the same ingredients that you normally have to buy independently. AND they are completely balanced in terms of PH and acid levels, which are very difficult to balance for home winemakers.

Never had problem dealin with my acid levels in wine got my hydrometre and my other thingy ma do to check booze level and the whole chemical test kit to check every molicule parisite and mold growth and be readin and check and readin some more then checkin gain then readin some more then it hit me just add water yeast and sugar and choice of taste and waalaa booze without the fancy. I brew for pleasure not perfection but thats the bushman style.

BWD

DiamondJim420 said:
Many of Welch's juices contain preservatives which inhibit fermentation.

Try a wine kit from Island Mist, or other manufacturers. Wine kits have all the same ingredients that you normally have to buy independently. AND they are completely balanced in terms of PH and acid levels, which are very difficult to balance for home winemakers.
Props for the info. It never occurred to me that bottled juices (that sit on warm shelves in supermarkets) might have preservatives in them because I never read the labels :hitchair: . There is a homebrew shop a few miles from here that sells winemaking goods. I will definitely need a good book on winemaking, since I essentially gave up after my 2.5 gallon batch of pruno.

YYZ Skinhead said:
Props for the info. It never occurred to me that bottled juices (that sit on warm shelves in supermarkets) might have preservatives in them because I never read the labels :hitchair: . There is a homebrew shop a few miles from here that sells winemaking goods. I will definitely need a good book on winemaking, since I essentially gave up after my 2.5 gallon batch of pruno.

Keep in mind that the higher the alcohol (i.e. pre-fermentation sugar) content, the longer the wine must age before it tastes good.

I love the Island Mist wine kits. At 7.5% alcohol, it's ready to drink, and tastes great, after only one month of aging. It's basically a wine cooler, and you will find yourself wanting to gulp instead of sip. It's that good. It has a buttery finish that can't be described. It makes a great summer time sipper by the pool while also enjoying our favorite herb.

Higher alcohol-content wines, like Chardonnays and most dry reds, contain upwards of 13.5% alcohol, and require AT LEAST 18 months of aging before they taste right, if even then.

I've had all the "long aging process" cycles I care to have. I get tired of waiting. Island Mist baby, Island Mist.

DiamondJim420 said:
Keep in mind that the higher the alcohol (i.e. pre-fermentation sugar) content, the longer the wine must age before it tastes good.

I love the Island Mist wine kits. At 7.5% alcohol, it's ready to drink, and tastes great, after only one month of aging. It's basically a wine cooler, and you will find yourself wanting to gulp instead of sip. It's that good. It has a buttery finish that can't be described. It makes a great summer time sipper by the pool while also enjoying our favorite herb.

Higher alcohol-content wines, like Chardonnays and most dry reds, contain upwards of 13.5% alcohol, and require AT LEAST 18 months of aging before they taste right, if even then.

I've had all the "long aging process" cycles I care to have. I get tired of waiting. Island Mist baby, Island Mist.
OK, now I am curious LOL. What flavors does Island Mist come in? I like my homebrewed ales more than most commercial beers, so I think I would like a home-fermented wine more than any commercial wine (I CAN'T STAND commercial wines). The low alcohol level is something else that makes me want to try it. (I can't stand the taste of ethanol, either.)

old woman next door has an old still thats been passed down through several generations. she makes wine and brandy. grows her own grapes too. i've gotten snockered with her a time or two...

used to be a member here goes by andy52 that i know well, and he made pear wine every year in the fall...it was the best i ever had...i bought all of his equipment from him about 20 years ago. i tried making wine with it several times, but it was never as good as his. not even close...

had to throw in the towel and quit drinking due to health bout three years ago...i had a good run...;)

YYZ Skinhead said:
OK, now I am curious LOL. What flavors does Island Mist come in? I like my homebrewed ales more than most commercial beers, so I think I would like a home-fermented wine more than any commercial wine (I CAN'T STAND commercial wines). The low alcohol level is something else that makes me want to try it. (I can't stand the taste of ethanol, either.)

hxxp://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-kits-island-mist.php

Blackberry Cabernet is my favorite.

DiamondJim420 said:
hxxp://www.homebrewit.com/wine-making-kits-island-mist.php

Blackberry Cabernet is my favorite.
Ohhh boy. Black Raspberry Merlot, Blackberry Cabernet, Wild Berry Shiraz, Cranberry Malbec, Peach Apricot Chardonnay. I haven't got a "wine" palate but I love me all of them fruits, so I shall definitely give these a go.[SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

YYZ Skinhead said:
Ohhh boy. Black Raspberry Merlot, Blackberry Cabernet, Wild Berry Shiraz, Cranberry Malbec, Peach Apricot Chardonnay. I haven't got a "wine" palate but I love me all of them fruits, so I shall definitely give these a go.

Your palate will thank you when you start sipping these wines. The good thing about them is that they are fully ready to drink after only a 4-6 week fermentation process.

Latest posts

Back