Growing Marijuana Forum Bud Pic of the Month!

sawhse
Dalahaze
Bud Pic of the Month!

JustAnotherAntMarching
DNA's Lemon Skunk
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
ArtVandolay
Band!

ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay
Default I want to try single stem plants...

In an old thread on LST and HST in this forum, I read

"As the plant grows, you remove ALL but the primary center branch. This will allow you to have many more plants in the same space. Each will have one massive primary cola."

I'm 2 weeks into my first grow and want to give this a try. A few questions, though. Even though "ALL" is capitalized, really all but the main branch? Whether fan leaves or branches?

How do I sex the plants if I've cut off ALL the branches?

I'm also curious about 12/12 from start to finish - I suppose the sexing can be done much sooner in the process? Can 12/12 be combined with removing all but the primary branch?

Finally, I'm 2 weeks into 18/6, plants about 2" tall - can I just switch to 12/12?

Thanks - 12/12 and tall skinny plants deal with all of my grow box issues...
It is so unfortunate.
The things that come to those that wait may be
the things left by those who got there first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old money
Art you have 2868 posts, most stupid words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste.
ArtVandolay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Growdude
I am the Smo King

Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude Growdude

I did somthing like this in this journal http://www.marijuanapassion.com/foru...ad.php?t=13213

I did not remove all the lower branches but most, you can see the single cola's in the pictures but there are lower buds too.

I had 7 plants in a 2x5 area, if you do this you will need ceiling height as you can see.

As for sexing use the lower branches for clones and put them directly into 12/12 lighting, clones will sex even before fully rooted and tell ya the donner sex.

Growdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Dubbaman
A few toke's a day.

Location: held hostage trapped in a cage and made to dance for my treats
Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman Dubbaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandolay

I'm also curious about 12/12 from start to finish - I suppose the sexing can be done much sooner in the process? Can 12/12 be combined with removing all but the primary branch?

I have a 12/12 from seed grow that is in my signature, while i didnt do the trimming of the main stem i would say you could so long as you have deermined sex and were to do it gradually a side branch at a time never taking more than 1/3 of the total every time, so as not to stress the plant into a hermi.
B.H.C.#666

Grower by choice, burn-out by profession.

I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

R.I.P. Mama O - gone but never forgotten

Dubbaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
ArtVandolay
Band!

ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay ArtVandolay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growdude
I did not remove all the lower branches but most, you can see the single cola's in the pictures but there are lower buds too.

I had 7 plants in a 2x5 area, if you do this you will need ceiling height as you can see.

As for sexing use the lower branches for clones and put them directly into 12/12 lighting, clones will sex even before fully rooted and tell ya the donner sex.
I only have 4 feet of height, Growdude... , 2'3 wide and 1'7 deep. I'm growing from seeds, so one of the reasons I like the single stem approach is to grow 5 plants in that space until I can sex them. And, the reason I like 12/12 right away is to sex them sooner rather than later.

What are the disadvantages of 12/12 from the start? Is it a reasonable plan to 12/12 them until the height is too much for the box? This is for personal use so my primary concern isn't yield, but I am looking for decent colas.
It is so unfortunate.

Quote:
Art you have 2868 posts, most stupid words that be long else where. Get a girl friend or a boy. You sure waste time and words. Now I see you are righting untruths. What a shame for the people who really don't know. About male female plants... Wow 2868 post what a waste.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
IllusionalFate
Winter Madness

IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate IllusionalFate

If you do 12/12 from seed, you will have small plants that don't yield very much, but the advantages are that you can fit many more plants in the area (making up for the decreased yield per plant) and it takes less time from seed to harvest.

If you have any questions on how to do a nice 12/12 from seed setup, RunByHemp is the guy to talk to.
"I'd say to my dad, 'I want to be a writer'... and he'd say, 'Journalist'. I'd say, 'I want to have a refuge for stray cats', and he'd say "Veterinarian'. I'd say, 'I want to be an actress' and he'd say, you know, 'TV newscaster'. It was this constant conversion of my fanciful ambitions into these practical money making ventures."

Current Grow:
Northern Lights x Hawaii x Lowryder; 600W Closet Grow
IllusionalFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
TURKEYNECK
Old School

TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK

Ive grown in 4' before and it can get tricky, I have found that it's much more productive to flower small clones in such a short space...they're already mature but nice and short so there is room for them to triple in size as they do under 12/12
ebb&flow trial 2008

()_____))________)))
TURKEYNECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Thorn
Micro Queen

Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn Thorn

you can go to 12/12 whenever you like but it is best when the plant is sexually mature - showing alternating nodes. I have grown a plant from seed at 12/12 and LSTed it and it grew wonderfully fast but unfortunately showed as being male at 6 weeks old.

I'm taking part in the Med Grow AND Toxic Waste

My Last Grow: Lowryder Mint - now smoked

People People People Read the RULES Please!

All text and pictures uploaded by this person is purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only.
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
KGB30
California Medical Card P

KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30

When in Veg state is a good time to LST your plant with out stressing the plant causing hermie or male.
KGB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
KGB30
California Medical Card P

KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30 KGB30

You Tube video on growing using lst technique.. Replace xx with TT.

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?session=1P4wTkQDHxer4SYVwvHPkYr1TXNBcEnpWTum GN_OTypH243SNwgkTTF_qlFoIe9D3luUnQ4_E_GGy-gXp4n1G1weeQIsJHnbgZdlgQHvFKRcXAdIFYyQn86Dnye6kkSN Giq3VTgW5aZx-_0M-PcZJZs7PTZM1ScvBFqT1BfhSS23icGaBaf29s4IS0ui-nFFwr4BfdaKKLij7t010P0EijN2AmIwynq5oLilG7Oidw1KWFC-ewqHU99FSavXdof_Wgczp4Gt5uc2-fChWRzKAIo-BcmXL5QP&v=gSiW6Rj6ocQ&session=XLY1Q_XEAUGjUxWx2H5 swMUO6DzM0zQNRbXkZCdi5WRHpave4p_APS4DvxlC-Rg0iIhEs4OK_tpYqSWcRMBLi0FkjY1SDK-oren4iiMBRyxjxk_4nT5OSzGtlCLwi7d20nuGib9e9zUIOGGx0 a6LPt7yIp_0sMo_9VDPNtIR1xlSGEX4h_4NG9NGx-LXofcg0Trr4_LLWPe46HsjPt8HkPUnx1dy7LHuVPI1WRIvaER-mnFoPwLSB0A0dFHgqIGE0lnAxjmUVHst2xU_B1sOH9EY8rT-NdsU
KGB30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:10 PM   #10
Runbyhemp

Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp

Growing 12/12 from seed is a good way of getting single cola plants (strain dependent of course .... I find you'll have a better chance if you grow indicas, some of the sativa crosses are unpredictable and get very big and bushy, even under 12/12)

Removing any branches will stress the plant and slow things down for a few days. It's ok to do during veg when the plant can recover but when flowering it's a complete and utter no/no. That rules out any type of trimming at any stage if growing 12/12.

From my experience Big Bud, White Indica and White Russian are very good 12/12 single cola performers.

Last edited by Runbyhemp; 07-24-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Runbyhemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #11
ArtVandolay
Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURKEYNECK
... I have found that it's much more productive to flower small clones in such a short space...
Aaaah, I wish I had some clones lol. First grow from bag seed (my source says worthwhile seeds). I don't even now if they're indica or sativa. And I'd love to order some of them there fancy breeds you guys talk about but I don't have an address to send them to and don't have the guts to have them sent here.
It is so unfortunate.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #12
ArtVandolay
Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runbyhemp
Growing 12/12 from seed is a good way of getting single cola plants (strain dependent of course .... I find you'll have a better chance if you grow indicas, some of the sativa crosses are unpredictable and get very big and bushy, even under 12/12)

Removing any branches will stress the plant and slow things down for a few days. It's ok to do during veg when the plant can recover but when flowering it's a complete and utter no/no. That rules out any type of trimming at any stage if growing 12/12.

From my experience Big Bud, White Indica and White Russian are very good 12/12 single cola performers.
If I'm following all of this (and I may not be!), maybe I/m best off veging 18/6 and attempting some LST to keep them as short as possible. This would also allow trimming of some of the lower branches, as well.

RbH - when you say branches does that include fan leaves?
It is so unfortunate.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #13
Runbyhemp

Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp Runbyhemp

Quote:
RbH - when you say branches does that include fan leaves?
Yep ... that includes fan leaves.
Runbyhemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
TURKEYNECK
Old School

TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK TURKEYNECK

It would caust you a little more time, but you'd do yourself a favor if you establish a couple mother plants and take your own clones..goodluck
ebb&flow trial 2008

()_____))________)))
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #15
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa

Quote:
What are the disadvantages of 12/12 from the start?
Yield imo. I'm doing a 12/12 grow now. Check my sig.

bombbudpuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 AM   #16
TURKEYNECK
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombbudpuffa
Yield imo. I'm doing a 12/12 grow now. Check my sig.
I think the disadvantage is mainly the risk of finding that half your crop has bawlz and you end up with wasted space. maybe even seeded crop
Just my opinion though..
ebb&flow trial 2008

()_____))________)))
Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #17
bombbudpuffa
Sweet Cheeba Chiefa

bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa bombbudpuffa

Quote:
I think the disadvantage is mainly the risk of finding that half your crop has bawlz
I usually get a high female to male ratio on 12/12 from seed. May have just been lucky.

bombbudpuffa is offline   Reply With Quote