Watering methods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonto

Dry as a bone
Reaction score
Some days, my soil looks dryer than others, and I think it's the heat that plays a big part, so I've been keeping the door open lately. My general question is how often to water? In my growing journal is pictures of my progress, and I'm just wondering about watering. My newest container for the larger lady plant I have has holes in the bottom for drainage, but I still haven't had any water go through the bottom, even though I think I'm watering the plant a decent amount.... should I be watering more? How often should I water? Every morning is what I've been doing..... should I water more thoroughly, and less often?

Fluid1 said:
Some days, my soil looks dryer than others, and I think it's the heat that plays a big part, so I've been keeping the door open lately. My general question is how often to water? In my growing journal is pictures of my progress, and I'm just wondering about watering. My newest container for the larger lady plant I have has holes in the bottom for drainage, but I still haven't had any water go through the bottom, even though I think I'm watering the plant a decent amount.... should I be watering more? How often should I water? Every morning is what I've been doing..... should I water more thoroughly, and less often?
Whats up Fluid1. IMHO you should be giving them more water. You should only have to water your plants 2 or 3 times a week at the most. You should be giving them more water less often. A good way to tell if your plants need water is by sticking your finger in the dirt 2 or 3 inches deep. If it's dry then water if it's still damp let it go for a day or so.

meh.....the plants will tell you when they need water.

Which varies as they grow and require more...but still...they'll let you know.

Then, once its fully stuck in your noggin, you'll be able to anticipate ahead of time that they're going to be thirsty soon.

Watering thoroughly means watering slowly. Takes me a good 10 minutes or so watering a plant. Add....wait....add....wait.

Just dumping water is apt to create the stuff rushing down into the soil, by passing, and not hydrating dryer areas in the root zone.

Personally....

it's about damn time we as a culture begin developing a water-born strain.

One that spends it's stages of growth, entirely submerged. Everything would be so much easier and more affordable.

Heat? What heat? Ventilation? Whats that?

Gawd...I'd drool all over myself to see a tank full of MJ rocking back and forth from the current in a tank.

mmmmm

If sea kelp can grow a foot a day...MJ would be off the frig'n hook being able to absorb its essentials right out of the water.

also to add . get a feel on your containers to see how heavy they are when you water them and how light a few days later or even the next day. youll get the feel of it soon .

I water slow and try for at least 10% run off out the bottom then wait untill the soil is dry to the bottom before I water again (3-4 days)

feeding is another story as i only feed from the bottom up ;)

grow on

Thanks for the replies. I most definitely take time watering them, let my breath help them out during that time as well. Just picked up some yeast and sugar from the store, I'll hook my babies up with some co2 as well. Time to water the girls!

One more Q- in my standard size bucket pot I'm using, about how much water should be used?? About a quart? More?

Fluid1 said:
Care to elaborate?

i let the soil soak up the ferted water from the bottom of the pot untill the top of the soil is moist... lots of good size holes in the bottom of pot will help alot ;)

how much water for your pot depends on size and soil, and i dont know what standard is....

for my 5 gallon it's 1 gallon to get the 10% (or 1 cup) run off. try to break it down from there for starters and see what happens...

grow on

I see. I suppose my issue with that is that the container under the bucket that I use for drainage is large, like 24" by 36".... that would take a lot of water. I have 9 holes that are the size of a fat sharpie around the outside, one in the center of the bottom, and 4 in between the outside and the center hole. I cut them from inside out for good flow. Bad thing is I don't know exactly the capacity of my bucket. Could be 3 gallons....
So you put the nutes in the water, and put in the container holding the pot...and the water will soak through all the way to the top of the soil? I did not know.... when you see the water at the top after that process, I would assume that you remove the excess water under the pot as it is saturated, correct?

HGB, thars gonna be a time when you will get root rot, you have been lucky so far. if you completely soak, then dry out, then soak again you can also get stem rot.

fluid1, IMHO, i never have water coming out of the bottom of my pots unless im FLUSHING - last 2 weeks of flower. you want your plants moist at all times; not soaked or dry. this will pay off ten fold at harvest. and in addition, the larger the plant, the more water needed. some plants are directly under the light and abit hotter so again more . study yer room. you are a terrapot grower, it seems like HGB is trying to feed his soil grow by hydro methods. i tried this with saucers under the pots once and got high humidity and all the assorted problems including powdery mildew. and bugs galore. but its your grow - have fun.

astra007 said:
HGB, thars gonna be a time when you will get root rot, you have been lucky so far. if you completely soak, then dry out, then soak again you can also get stem rot.

If the soil is mixed proper there will be no root rot and havnt had that problem since 1978 ;)

fluid1, IMHO, i never have water coming out of the bottom of my pots unless im FLUSHING - last 2 weeks of flower. you want your plants moist at all times; not soaked or dry.

moist at all times would couse root rot before soaked then dry no?

it seems like HGB is trying to feed his soil grow by hydro methods.

not sure how you figure that one bro? but i grow DWC bubblers for hydro :D but i do start in soil first for them

if you dont let the food get to the bottom were the feeder roots are then you would be deprive'n the plant no?

most of my house plants even say to feed from the bottom

i tried this with saucers under the pots once and got high humidity and all the assorted problems including powdery mildew. and bugs galore. but its your grow - have fun.

If you set up your grow room right and are able to controll it there will be no problems ;)

this method has been around for many of years and i teach it at my local clinic AMOP

about 7000 of us there now grow'n with this method and all very happy with the results:D

oh ya and I'm have'n a ton of fun with garden

Fluid1 yes when the soil on top is moist then remove the excess to help keep RH down ;)

grow on

HBG - you got a thread somewhere in detail about how you do all this? i had bad luck trying it. thanks

astra007 said:
HBG - you got a thread somewhere in detail about how you do all this? i had bad luck trying it. thanks

say astra007,

i post to about 6 forums with different grows on most of them but i allways mention this way in all my GJ's....

have'nt got a GJ here yet but plan on it soon ;)

if you want i can pm you some links

grow on

Latest posts

Back