Grain alcohol Shatter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooch

Reaction score
So i never put stuff that is not made for human consumption into my body, i realize if it is labratory purged perfectly they can reduce it to 1ppm or whatever that is 1ppm to many for me so i found out about rosin and was enoying it although very heavy on the lungs with all the lipids and **** still in it. I had tried several times to make RSO type shatter unsuccessfully meaning let it sit for however long and heat it slow and low. Never worked for me.
So we decided to take 220 micron keif off of some old rubbed plant matter.
pulling trichs off
Once we pulled all the trichs off we mixed it with a very small amount of grain alcohol we wanted it to be a thick slurry consistency only letting it sit in the alcohol for 3 mins then pouring it into the blast tube, and we started by letting gravity pull it out, then we added a little bit of air 3-5 lbs.
Mixing slurry
We used the blast tube and put it over a heated pan pre heated to 170 to boil off the alcohol at normal pressure, then once the smell from alcohol was gone we put it under a vacuum and dropped the temp to 110 and watched it as it bubbled away and when it stopped i had the best made for human consumption shatter ever period.
Vacuum purging

View attachment 20161012_141348.jpg

View attachment 20161012_143948.jpg

View attachment 20161012_144008.jpg

Dang,,i would be pressing that into hash. Yummy

well why do that when i can make it into shatter, at 50%+ thc gonna get it tested see whats what

I know,,,but its just so pretty. ...lol
I love using it in my pipes or in a joint.

well my goal was to find a use for the left over trimming and crappy popcorn buds etc.. so the largest pile of keif is the 220micron still has a lot of plant material etc.. then the next largest is the 73 mircon, i did not run a 25 micron, which with the 73 would be the ones i would normally keep for smoking, but with shitty shatter going for 40/gram BHO/C02, i figured its a great way for home growers to get the concentrated use with a clean made for human consumption process.

Gooch--that looks great! What is a blast tube? I "inherited" a vacuum purger that the previous owners left here when they moved. How much kief did you start with and how much shatter did you up with?

THG
a blast tube is a metal tube with a 25 micron (replaceable) filter at one end and a air hose connector at the other end, then pack you keif into the tube put in a bout 1/2 cup grain alcohol 95% and add about 30lbs of air pressure to get the stuff flowing.
The way we did it was we mized the kief and alcohol in a cup and poured that in but i thought that might have caused some of the darker colors but apparently i am wrong.
i used approx an oz of 220 keif got just over a half ounce back and alcohol boils at 173 at normal atmosphere(open) and i think we had it at 2 atmospheres (under vacuum) it boils at 113-117 and you leave it there ill the bubbles all stop then scrape it out onto parchment bam your done
here is a link to them

yep that is exactly what it is, it looks and tastes like rosin but acts like shatter. We are working on making it clear and keeping some of the terps in tact by controlling the temps. This still was boiled off at 173f, and then dropped to 117 under vacuum, next time we are going with low temps and new filter system. I will post pics as soon as its made

I'm in !-- Looks like something that would make good THC e-cig liquid !-- What U think THG ? -- 1 to 1 with EJ Mix ? -- I be trying this soon !-- 25% THC in an e-cig liquid ? -- Could it be the fabled Liquid Weed ?

that is exactly what we are making with it and yes it is amazing liquid weed is a great term for it i might have to borrow that lol
so the process is simple but complicated step1 pull the trichs off I prefer dry ice, step 2 freeze the alcohol, step 3 pump the ice cold alcohol through the keif and into the vac chamber to be boiled off at very low temps and sublimated leaving you with amazinig lookinig smelling and tasting Human Safe Shatter Or HSS for short

View attachment hss.jpg

Use it Gooch ! -- I wonder if anhydrous ethanol might work even better ? -- I think Kraven and Umbra get thier alcohol from organicalcohol or something like that !--- I been chasing "Liquid Weed" for my e-cig for awhile !-- Been thru the whole VG/ PG thing and never could keep it from separating! -- Do U use EJ Mix ? - If not what do U use ? -- I just never could get an alcohol extraction clean enough for my e-cig or get it to dissolve in a smokable base ! -- I know I could homogenize the base and extract together like they do milk so the fat never separates again !-- Hand held homogenizer cost $300-$500 ?-- I'm after that Simply "C" Super Critical CO2 extractor ($3,500) !--I do love me one of those hash oil cartridges !-- I'm in Texas and they don't even know about stuff like this yet !--

Oldgrow Welcome to MP !-- I think you'll like it here !--Stop by the Home of the Old Farts Club sometimes in the coffee table section !- Bunch of high old farts growing a little weed and hanging out !-- It's what we do !
Gooch I've got some of that EJ Mix coming and we'll give it a try !-- I been wondering how sub critical CO2 would work for extraction !-- Hook up a CO2 line on the in end and turn on the gas !-- CO2 works at Super Critical temp and pressure --Maybe it would work ? -- Maybe not ?

Well my goal from day 1, in dec of last year was to be able to make safe for human consumption only vape oil that will rock your world, i failed time after time after time wasting who knows how much cannabis maybe close to a lb over the year, Until my friend the genius came up with this process, learning from my many misfortunes, and now we have a come to the point where it is a reality, no more high priced co2 equipment, no more carcinogens(BHO). just grain alcohol that is safe for drinking.

Gooch I'll give it a try !-- U not the only one that has beat his head into the wall with this !-- If I can make this alcohol extraction of yours to produce a clean shatter and EJ Mix will it suspends the oil well enough it's in the bag !-- I'll still be easing one of those CO2 extractors into Texas because the wife fell in love with those hash oil cartridges !-- U know anything about genetic doubling to make polyploids ?-- Check UBC Chemo and the story of how David Suzuki created it ? -- I'm up to my eyeballs into it !-- I think I've made a couple dozen attempts !-- I think I'm close to making a stable tetraploid !-- While I wait for prohibition to end I learn and get ready for the day I can release my Frankenplants on an unsuspecting Texas !-- In a week or so I'll be taking this Master Kush which was touted as a tetraploid and making my first attempt at turning it back into one like it was at one time when it was known as High Rise !-- Then we gonna make some hash Cuz !

I use peg from db mix pro that and this stuff stabilizes perfectly im telling you its amazing, but remember the it is HSS human safe shatter there are only 2 kinds rosin and this, even co2 extraction isnt completely clean from my understanding

CO2 is not safe ? -- but I'm breathing it right now !-- I know Propelene Glycol !-- When I first tried to quit smoking I tried Nicotine e-cig juice with a PEG base !-- 30 years of smoking and I had never had a smokers cough !-- 2 weeks after starting on the e-cig I developed a smokers cough !- When I switched to a Vegetable Glycerine base the cough went away !-- Been on it about 5 years now !-- That's why I'm not really excited about this PEG 400(?)- they use in pro mix and EJ Mix !-- Maybe there is a light VG that would work the same way ?-- Now the alcohol for human consumption I knows a little about !-- I make fruit wine !--Then I freeze the water off it !-- Takes me a gallon of wine to make one 750 mil bottle of "Fruit Brandy" -- She don't lie !-- I don't drink anymore but I enjoy brewing -- It's addictive like growing weed !--

Latest posts

Back